Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

Not going to lie, it’s also time Roblox Studio itself gets an entire makeover for 2022.

10 Likes

I had not noticed them. Thank you for pointing them out to me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be really cool to see external editor support officially added

2 Likes

With the 2 scripts at once editor, will we be able to open 2 of the same scripts? That could really improve my workflow when modifying a script with 388 lines.

My layout keeps resetting every time I close studio :frowning: Frustrating!

1 Like

Being able to open this many scripts in the same window is going to so much better than clicking back and forth like a game of whack a mole.

Currently I’m unable to play test or use test server in the new roll-out version of Studio due to the following errors:

• ‘API Disabled in RCC Channel’, while attempting to use BadgeService:AwardBadge() server side
  • ‘509: Data Store operations blocked while running on a Personal RCC to prevent possible data corruption’ when using DataStore
3 Likes

We could add community plugins to that bar? I wish I had known that. Would have made building WAY faster instead of constantly switching between the Model and Plugins tabs.

1 Like

My friend got the update but when he reopened studio it updated and then it got removed

1 Like

Both of these issues should be fixed now after a Studio restart. Please let us know if there’s any other similar issues mentioning an “RCC”.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind A/B testing for products intended for use by developers (Roblox Studio). It seems backwards.

Many of your developers are enthusiasts and want to be on the bleeding edge of your technology, trying out new features not because they inherently need to use them, but because they are new and interesting. If they are not apart of the 5%, they cannot do this.

And also, many of your developers are actually depending on Roblox Studio to make a living, and if they are apart of the 5% and there is a feature introduced introduced that negatively impacts their workflow, or worse makes it unusable, there is not much they can do.

I suggest in the future making Roblox Studio beta features with opt-in/out functionality (as you do most of the time) and keep the A/B testing to client and user-facing features. This is not to say that there is anything at all wrong with this update, in fact I can’t access it, but it’s just my 2c on the update methodology.

6 Likes

If this could be done as a Beta Feature it would definitely be one. In this case there were technical restrictions meaning that it wasn’t feasible to dynamically choose between the two based on a client setting (instead a different Studio executable is installed depending on whether you’re currently part of the rollout or not).

3 Likes

This was asked before in this thread but not answered-is this indicative of the Qt upgrade? If so then, I fully understand.

2 Likes

Will follow up with you in a private DM

4 Likes

This pin icon shows the opposite of what I expect. To me, an expanded widget is “pinned” to my screen, so the pin icon should be filled in. Likewise, a collapsed widget is “unpinned” from my screen, so the pin icon should be an outline.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Will share it with our design team.

2 Likes

Really neat stuff, i do love the script dragger feature although, it will really help me a LOT in revamping 2020-2021 codes that i made. Great update

1 Like

This is a cool update, but its not uncomfortable to continue developing my game, since i have Explorer, Properties and Output on my second screen, this update makes expirience of Studio much worse. The problem is each time i Stop my playtest, all windows on my second screen disappears and then appear on little lower position, if i Stop game 5 times in a row its already in the bottom of my screen.

3 Likes

Hi, could you expand a little more about what you don’t like about the current Studio UI Editor?

If you disable the built-in UI editor, is there another plugin you use instead to author your UI? Do you use any other visual tools to author your UI?

Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

I don’t like the UI Editor feature as a whole.

• I can’t explicitly enable or disable it. There’s an automatic trigger condition for it to happen and sometimes I unintentionally trigger it while modifying properties of GuiObjects (with Gui objects selected, the Gui Editor becomes enabled including any associated mouse behaviours).

• I dislike any dragging behaviours. I don’t use my cursor at all to modify any GuiObjects, I always explicitly set properties to get exactly what I want.

• There is an issue where GuiObjects get randomly drag-locked to your mouse. It entirely messes up positions for Guis that I’ve set and it takes too much effort to fix the issue.

I cannot disable the UI Editor because there’s still the built-in cursor behaviour that doesn’t go away when I delete the plugin from my install folder and I’d prefer a native way to disable it instead of messing with my Studio client to make sure it gets removed with every update.

I do not use any other plugins to author my UI. I explicitly only use the properties pane to get exactly what I want and that’s all I ever want to use to modify UIs. I don’t want some unknown trigger condition capturing mouse input and enabling the Gui editor.

I have never used it and I never want to use it either. There’s no improvements or bug fixes that will ever compel me to use it. I just want to be able to disable what I don’t need without having to work around any kinks of its inherent intrusiveness.

17 Likes