Studio navigation input problem

Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2020-12-17 00:12:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-02-10 16:02:00 (+01:00)

Previous posts

This issue has been posted about before in this (2016) and this (2021) post. To my opinion these posts didn’t get the attention they deserved and ended up dead without the problem actually being fixed. That’s why I am once again posting about this.

Now,

The problem

For no clear reason and at random, scrolling to navigate faster and pressing F to focus on an object stops working in studio. This seems totally irregular and it insanely confusing to experience for the first time.

I originally thought I did something strange in the studio settings, but when searching for settings related to focussing or scrolling, I couldn’t find anything that would allow me to disable this. Restarting doesn’t solve anything and I had no idea how to fix this. Upon investigation I found out that the problem doesn’t affect all of studio, there’s only certain places where I can’t scroll or focus anymore, I also thought it happened in all teamcreate enabled games, but Sams Cozy home, which has teamcreate enabled, doesn’t have this problem.

This means it must be a problem with the game file itself.

Reproducing the issue

Reproducing the issue is basically impossible as this issue is so irregular and unpredictable. I’ve found this randomly occur after loading a game or file. Restarting studio doesn’t fix this.

Places I have the problem with:
chair in the field
TESTING Cube

Places I don’t have the problem in:
INSANE sam obby
Sams Cozy home

Expected Behavior:
I expect to be able to navigate fast by scrolling and be able to focus on objects by pressing F. I expect this to work the same in every game i work on.

Actual Behavior:
I cant scroll or press F and its insanely irregular

Workaround:
An option is manually changing the camera speed in the studio settings, and setting it really fast. The only problem with this is that you will have to hold shift when you dont want to navigate the game at light speed. And I’d rather just be able to scroll whenever I want to go fast.

You could also manually change the camera speed every time you want to change speeds but that’s not very effective either.
This really needs fixing.

If it helps I could give a technician or admin access to a game with the problem to look for problems in there.

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

This is happening again. I really don’t know what causes it, but it happens at this place: https://www.roblox.com/games/6414918341

If this is of any help, I sent the bug files of when it started happening: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/1159700

The zoom button is greyed out, and of course the shortcut does not work…

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. This issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked it and it doesn’t seem to be fixed, unless you meant it won’t occur with new places. It’s still occuring in TESTING Cube and chair in the field.

Like incapaz said:

This seems strange, and almost like its supposed to happen. But why. All I can do at this point is ask questions that might help further investigation. When does the F to zoom get greyed out? What makes it unusable? Maybe some value that normally causes it to grey out stays true regardless?

But the fact that you can’t scroll to navigate faster makes this a bit strange, why would you want to disable that feature in the first place?

As I said before:

I originally wanted to add a copy of the game to the post, but I couldn’t create a game file that had the bug in it. Upon copying the game into a new file, the problem doesn’t occur in that copy.

tl;dr:

Copied a game into a new file.

Copied game file: No problems
Original game file: Problems

So giving someone access to the game might make it easier to investigate. DM me on discord if neccesary: SamIsTwisted#0432

I hope this helps.

Sorry, there was an error in communication internally. This is fixed in our internal source, but it will not go live until after the release this week.

3 Likes

This has been fixed in the latest version of Studio

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.