Studio on mac tremendously laggy

This is not the problem, I know since ive been experiencing it too for about a fortnight.

Im currently using a very powerful and modern Mac with a good amount of free storage.

Now I can even prove that these issues are on roblox’s end, since as an experiment when the script editor is in the main window, it uses up 100% of my Mac’s CPU. when it is not in the main window (even if it is the same size as when it was in the main window) it runs smoothly.

Theses Mac issues completely put Mac user’s development experience on roblox to a halt and should be paid more attention.

@DevHumor – tagging you in since this also kinda answers your post in the fact its nothing to do with the power of the Mac.

6 Likes

It could be that you have an old graphics card, see the minimum / recommended requirements. Or optimize your computer. This has been my answer, I hope you do well. Greetings, rodi_xo

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I have a 6-core 2.9ghz 32GB of ram.

Today, the app became completely unresponsive when opening certain scripts. Watching in Activity Monitor, the app continuously increased in Memory until I killed it. At the time I killed the app, it was consuming a whopping 40GB of RAM, which included almost 10GB of swap!

• At the time of the test, I had a fresh install, zero plugins, zero beta features
  • Script editing is extremely slow even in a completely blank world with a single script
  • (UNLESS) I drag the script editor out of the main window, in which case the performance is fine

UPDATE: I was able to find an error in my script that was the cause of the 40GB freeze issue, but there is still lag when typing. I wrestled with how to view/edit a file that was locking the whole app, and finally realized I could print out the scripts contents using the Command Bar, eg print(game.ServerScriptService.MyScript.Source), then paste that source into a script window that I’d already detached from the main window. Once I fixed the error, I updated the old script the same way

4 Likes

OMG I thought I was the only one. I have the early 2015 MacBook Air and it works perfectly on studio… except scripting. It takes at LEAST 10 seconds to type 2 letters. Don’t get me started on trying to test the game in studio. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I use my notes app to type out little sections of a script at a time or I open up a blank glitch tab and open a .LUA file and copy and paste. These methods are very very inefficient.

7 Likes

I also have a PC that’s about 6 years older than my Mac and scripting has no issues on there.

3 Likes

Have you tried dragging the script window away from the main window? That works for me, when I can actually get the script to load without freezing

5 Likes

You’re great!!! It worked for me swell. This still doesn’t fix my performance issues on Roblox’s end.

1 Like

As I upgraded Roblox Studio to version 434 on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro (with intel graphics only), it might have fallen victim to this issue. In my specific case, Studio runs consume 40% CPU and 1 GB RAM. Typing scripts started to become noticeably slow while CPU fans are rampant.

I am not quite sure if this is expected behavior or fits in to what happened to other developer’s Macs.

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this a lot lately. Specifically within the script editor.

4 Likes

I’m having the same problems as of today, restarting does nothing, and I redownloaded studio.

2 Likes

This has been a real issue, even on the 2019 iMac.

2 Likes

This is still happening…
Roblox has a horrible track record taking months to fix Mac issues before they pop up again - don’t rely on them to fix this in a timely or permanent fashion.

If you’re a programmer, use VSCode + Rojo + Github. I publish to game and test it with a live play session rather than forcing myself to use studio. If I need a multiple person playtest, I just connect on an alt with my phone

Here are previous threads with roughly the same bug. There are more than just these...

Mac Studio is incredibly laggy
Text delayed when typed into script (macOS Sierra)
Super laggy script editor on Mac - fixed
Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

5 Likes

The previous thread mentioned with color profile fixed the problem for me. Thank you!

1 Like

In my experience all of Roblox on Mac is horrid compared to windows. There’s something just not “right” about the graphics, It uses double the RAM a windows machine uses, and overall feels like a direct port from windows, with no support for the MacOS toolbar or touchbar.

4 Likes

My friend @GooglyBlox_Improved experienced the same thing.
According to him , the only fix was a new laptop , which wasn’t a mac.

1 Like

You should blur the serial number for safety.

3 Likes

Still experiencing issues like these on Catalina that render studio basically unusable, lucky Rojo exists!
Running on 2019 Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM, 6-Core i7 and dedicated Radeon graphics. Hopefully an actual fix turns up one day…

2 Likes

I have never experienced Studio being this laggy on macOS Catalina but there are a few things I have done to make Studio run better on a Mac.

1. Try to keep as few apps open in the background as possible and use Safari instead of Chrome or Firefox if you need to browse the web while using Studio. Also if you use Chrome, disable Background Sync.
  2. Disabling hardware acceleration in apps like Discord or Chrome.
  3. Remove all apps that automatically start up when you log into your Mac user account or remove as many of them as you can. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove everything from the list.
  4. In Studio, go to File > Settings > Rendering and set the Graphics Mode to “Metal”
  5. Set mail fetch to “Manual” for all email accounts in Apple Mail and disable notifications for Apple Mail and don’t leave Apple Mail open while using Studio.
  6. Change some of the settings in System Preferences
  • In System Preferences go to Dock and turn Magnification off and disable “Show recent applications in Dock”
  • Go to the Extensions section of System Preferences and click on “Today” and uncheck all the items
  • Disable the Dynamic wallpaper if you use the default macOS wallpaper, If there is a dropdown menu that says “Dynamic”, set it to “Light (Still)” or “Dark (Still)”
  • go into the Screen Time section of System Preferences and click “Continue” at the bottom right corner if it is your first time opening it and click “Options” and make sure it says “Screen Time for this Mac: Off” if it is on, click “Turn Off”.
  1. If you are using a MacBook with Thunderbolt 3 that is running macOS 10.15.5 or newer, disable the battery health feature in the Energy Saver System Preferences.

These are some of the things that I tried to reduce the lag in Studio on macOS Catalina.

7 Likes

Color Profile being changed to Apple RGB solved the issue on the same device for me.

6 Likes

Sorry if this is considered a bump, however the issue is still persistent.

I’m experiencing it as well, the colour profile thing did improve it, but now my computer looks quite different, and I am not sure if I like it. I personally think a solution should be available without changing the system’s preferences, also especially considering I have a pretty new laptop with decent specs.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 6.30.43 PM

3 Likes