Studio on mac tremendously laggy

Probably the latter? I don’t see why somebody would randomly say that they’re bad at using Roblox Studio.

1 Like

What i mean is that its hard to build stuff when the moving arrows show up after 30 sec of selecting a model

1 Like

That particular issue doesn’t just apply to the Mac version though, right?

1 Like

nope im on big sur and when I do it on my moms computer (catalina) its still bad

1 Like

Maybe you should try updating her Mac to macOS Big Sur. Does the issue occur on Windows computers?

1 Like

on windows its like 10000000000% faster She doesn’t want to update her mac. :confused:

1 Like

Updating the Mac should most likely not be necessary. Most of the people who have had this issue and solved it by forcing Studio to reload the installed (and corrupted) settings files for studio. These would not change with updating to Big Sur (to my knowledge, as updating did not fix it in the situation I experienced). Have you tried any of the following solutions?:

This one is much easier, and does not require you to use command line. One helpful tip, finding Library files requires you to first press Command+Shift+Dot (.) to show hidden files. The specific Library folder will be found under the User or main disc depending on how Studio was installed. After you find it, press Command+Shift+Dot again to hide hidden files again.

Or,

Judging by the fact that you reference input delay and movement lag, this is most likely your issue. The two main issues that are discussed in this thread are Script Editor lag (this is in a different bug report as well, I believe Optiplex has linked it above) and overall Studio delay. Hopefully one of the two methods above fixes it for you.

While this is clearly your opinion and not a fact, I think it is important to note that this is how bad Studio on Mac can feel when issues like this arise.

Finally, a note on my overall studio experience on Mac in hopes that those interested realize how frustrating using Studio for Mac can be. I’ve never experienced any issue to the extent listed at the start of this topic, but I have experienced much of the input delay (to a lesser extent) that is described. From time to time while developing (opening new studio instances and windows, etc), Studio will have an issue. Whether it may be the mouse freezing while play testing (less common now), Script editor freezing and being very slow, explorer and properties menu interaction being slow, or studio in general being slow, I frequently am forced to restart studio. While it does not take long to restart, the continued necessity in situations (specifically the script editor) is quite annoying. While manageable, it is not a situation that I (or anyone else who has these issues) enjoys being in.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why is she hesitant?

I don’t think they were criticizing macOS itself. They were likely criticizing the macOS version of Roblox Studio compared to the Windows version of Roblox Studio.

In general? Or are you specifically referring to Roblox Studio?

1 Like

oh she recently did a mini-update for her computer and she lost all her saved passwords and she dont know why

1 Like

That probably doesn’t have to do with the update. I’m sure that it’s just some sort of misunderstanding. If anything, updating to macOS Big Sur would likely bring back her saved passwords. It fixed a lot of the issues caused by macOS Catalina.

1 Like

I don’t think they were criticizing macOS either, and I’m just trying to point out that this issue is quite frustrating.

I’m only referring to the studio on Mac experience as well. Mentioning other applications would not be relevant here.

2 Likes

My computer is currently on the Big Sur update, it is still laggy as ever.

1 Like

Oh, okay. That makes more sense.

Is it related to the problem that I mentioned?

1 Like

Yes, your comment was the following:

1 Like

Oh, I wasn’t sure if you were referring to Roblox Studio or not.

2 Likes

Roblox studio was working perfectly fine until I updated to macOS Big Sur. After the update, I noticed immense lag within the scripting editor and studio’s UI. Everything else was fine. I have tried most of the methods posted above but I am still experiencing the issue.

1 Like

I wish lag was my only problem…for the past month or so, studio will crash on me after updates if I attempt to edit a part’s color or other properties and click somewhere else in studio. The only way to stop this from happening is to restart my mac mini, which gets so annoying!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m having bad issues with Studio, running on bootcamp windows is absolutely fine. However, on macOS Big Sur it is insane. Roblox Studio is unusable (fact) as it takes around 30 seconds to interact with the file menu and 10 seconds to interact with a button. The game view itself is around 5 fps when I move my camera. Doing all of those miscellaneous fixes have made it worse:

• Color Profile changing.
  • Resetting all of my studio preferences.
  • OSX reset has made it worse :rofl:

The performance is worse than running UE4 Editor on full graphics (now if that’s not saying something I don’t know what will). It has even completely destroyed other applications causing them to cease, freeze or slow down. Worst of all Roblox Studio can take full minutes to shut down. This issue is not observable on the client however.

I love roblox so much and I have only just gotten the hang of some pretty cool stuff in development, it would be sad to have to stick with Windows 10 (oh my goodness its a pool of bugs, VR disconnects every 0.1 seconds because its trying to access the files on the headset :grin: and my fans are tripping :crazy_face:) so I would really appreciate help, going back to trying to learn OpenGL and mastering C++ would murder me internally.

Here are my specs and stuff the devs probably need because I want to give them help to fix this if possible:

Summary

My specs:
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 10.18.37
My performance on main menu:
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 10.19.12
Red is Kernel, Green is other things. The kernel only spikes up when Studio is running.

My CPU and GPU performance in a baseplate when doing things like typing and looking around.
spindump.txt (4.9 MB)
My spindump (not honestly sure what this is)
com.roblox.SplashScreen.plist - Google Drive, com.roblox.Retention.plist - Google Drive, com.Roblox.Roblox.plist - Google Drive, com.roblox.RobloxStudio.plist - Google Drive, com.roblox.RobloxPlayer.plist - Google Drive, com.roblox.RobloxStudioBrowser.plist - Google Drive
Here are my plists btw (safe link trust)

I would really love help, I can’t continue developing like this and there are other crazy issues creeping up on all fronts of Roblox as well. Roblox is first and foremost where I learned everything I do about computing and I love it dearly. To see it just become broken would be sad.

2 Likes

Maybe Roblox needs to optimize their software for macOS Big Sur? If so, I’m shocked that they’ve taken this long.

1 Like

I did a bit more research and looked into it some more myself with other applications and stuff. Turns out things like LibreOffice have been literally nerfed on Big Sur getting about 1-2fps and some other applications which don’t stick to the normal SwiftUI/Cocoa. It also ends up putting all the performance on the kernel? I mean its not OSX any more its macOS 11 which is completely new tbh

2 Likes