Studio on mac tremendously laggy

I was experiencing this problem for quite a while too. I just recently upgraded to a 2020 MBP. The problem got so insane, I couldn’t click on parts and move them without my frames dropping way down to below 10. I couldn’t even type in scripts with more than a line. Changing settings never really helped, and there was no other get around. What worked for me was the most annoying path, but it worked. I reccomend:

• Completely delete ROBLOX studio. Log out, delete all program files and anything stored within your finder. You do not need to delete world saves, just the application itself. I recommend using something like CleanMyMac to assist in deleting, it will remove all the hidden files you might not be able to find. Then just simply get a fresh install of ROBLOX studio. If this doesn’t work, maybe try updating your MacOS?

You shouldn’t have to do something this insane, ROBLOX should honestly have better support for Mac users since so much of us who use them experience these problems, and switching to windows is usually not a preferred option.

4 Likes

We suspect that the problem file (for at least one variant of this bug - though there is definitely more than one) is ~/Library/Preferences/com.roblox.RobloxStudio.plist . If you have this problem, before deleting everything, try moving that file to a different location and starting Studio.

And, if this resolves the problem, please send us the file by PM. Anytime a bug is caused by a corrupt settings file, an example of a broken version is invaluable to finding the issue and debugging it.

3 Likes

This topic mentions similar problems. You’re far from alone.

2 Likes

I have the files but can’t send them to you as they aren’t a supported format for the forums!

1 Like

Rename them to .txt files, please.

3 Likes

I presume you also have problems with the script editor? Slowdowns in the script editor are nothing new, at least on macOS.

As proven by this topic, the performance issues aren’t just isolated to older Macs either.

1 Like

Hello. I have a mac 21.5 inch desktop. I suggest you close down all other programs and use a better connection if possible. Mine internet is 35mbps and my mac gets 40-60 fps on most roblox games. Here is the specs of my mac: Intel core i5 and intergrated graphics. So hopefully that helps.

1 Like

Roblox relies on your CPU along your gpu (slightly) for things like lighting and all. It’s known to cause issues on your CPU. Macs are known for not being that powerful. Not to mention it’s 2017, 3 years old. Try to open the same thing but on a different computer. I honestly think this is your issue. I had the same when I used a Mac.

Edit: It also depends on your memory count. Close background applications. Make sure they’re closed and not running in the background. Are you using SSD or HDD? SSD is way faster.

3 Likes

I suggest upgrading your storage you do have 100gb free but i suggest around 300-400gb free for your mac to still have stuff on it but also be pretty fast. Also the 300-400gb only applies if you can get a 1T external storage device. They are reasonably priced at amazon. Here is the link for one of them (its around 50 bucks) https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG7BBH/ref=asc_df_B07CRG7BBH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3129393762689028048&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023097&hvtargid=pla-568399753366&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58425267301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3129393762689028048&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023097&hvtargid=pla-568399753366

2 Likes

I’d honestly look into getting a network drive (NAS). Mine has been a lifesaver. I’m taking up over a terabyte for my music. Then dev stuff also takes up a lot. They’re a bit pricey.

1 Like

Mac devices after 2012 comes with SSD, as Roblox is installed in your application folder, which is in your system disk. This question is a bit pointless to ask.

1 Like

Yes, that would work too but those are anywhere from 150-300$ With a external drive you can get 5gb of storage for 100$ idk tho I have never tried a NAS I just personally use a 2T external drive.

1 Like

a NAS have more slots for drives, so you can increase the storage without having to plug another drive to your mac or dealing with insufficient usb/thunderbolt slots issue

1 Like

I had this exact issue, it sucked so much. What fixed the problem was going into a different user account on my Mac and downloading studio there.

3 Likes

Oh idek that! Sorry maybe a NAS is better than.

1 Like

Although this works it’s not a good solution on Roblox ends to have everyone on macos have 2 users on a mac just to use roblox.

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with Macs not being powerful enough (unless we are talking about Macs from nine years ago). It has to do with the fact that Roblox doesn’t optimize their programs very well for newer Macs. Actually, this guy experiences no issues with Roblox Studio on his 2012 MacBook Air. In another post, he says something similar.

The 2012 Retina MacBook Pro came with an SSD too. On the other hand, the 2012 Unibody MacBook Pro didn’t come with an SSD.

Buy a cheap USB hub.

That sounds awful and tedious. Why does Roblox force us to do this if we want decent performance in Roblox Studio?

Exactly! It’s ridiculous! I’m sure Roblox knows that, but they need to provide a proper solution/proper optimization.

1 Like

I have the exact same thing on windows, it’s definitely not a RAM issue as i have 16gb and studio is using just over 1GB

1 Like

I have a feeling there is some kind of memory leak associated with large modulescripts. I have 2 scripts which are very laggy, one a normal script and one a module script. If they have the same parent then I experience very bad lag when opening either script, but do not if they have different parents. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the linter but can’t say for sure

2 Likes

You could very well be right.

2 Likes