Studio: Quality of Life Improvements

Hello Developers!

On the Studio team, we are continuously improving the product, fixing bugs and adding capabilities. We get to announce cool new features and important updates, but this announcement is about recent fixes that improve quality of life.

Small things matter! These changes are a result of your feedback.

1. Publish dialog now supports search in Game and Place views!

1. Changes to File menu - did you realize Studio Settings was in the menu but Game Settings wasn’t? Why was About Roblox Studio above Help, Settings & Beta Features?

Now, that’s better…

2. If you close the Publish dialog using Esc key, it wouldn’t open again using File > Publish

Now it’s fixed!

3. Server, Local and Module Scripts now show respective icons on the tab so it’s easier to differentiate

4. Why didn’t File > Publish to Roblox To… not show success screen?

Well, now it does!

5. Talking about Publish Dialog, when you select ‘Update existing game…’ it’s now single scroll surface rather than pages to click through! Oh, and, ‘Add New’ is the first option so you don’t have to page through to the end :slight_smile:

6. And, on the topic of ‘Update existing game…’ in Publish Dialog, clicking back arrow will remember the group in the previous screen

Previously, it would reset to ‘My Games’

If you run into product quirks, things you may be used to but wish were tweaked a bit to make it a lot better - please post your suggestion on the Dev Forum and tag then with ‘quality-of-life’.

Thank you!

278 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 13 minutes.

Talking about Publish Dialog, when you select ‘Update existing game…’ it’s now single scroll surface rather than pages to click through! Oh, and, ‘Add New’ is the first option so you don’t have to page through to the end :slight_smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I always was annoyed by having to click through a bunch of pages of irrelevant games! Also should make updating places easier. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Has the scroll speed been adjusted for large lists? This issue happens a lot in Studio, with it being hard to scroll precisely through large lists.

And, on the topic of ‘Update existing game…’ in Publish Dialog, clicking back arrow will remember the group in the previous screen

That was also a really big annoyance! As someone who develops in group games with multiple places, this will definitely make it easier to quickly update multiple group places.

If you run into product quirks, things you may be used to but wish were tweaked a bit to make it a lot better - please post your suggestion on the Dev Forum and tag then with ‘quality-of-life’.

This is interesting! I’m glad to see Roblox begin to move more towards tags and set some standards for bug reports! I assume that this is for all bugs/features, not just Studio?

8 Likes

So it seems a lot of these were already pushed a while ago, and it’s a welcome change nevertheless, the only QOL that I’ll take on is not needing to push a tiny link button in the corner to update an old asset.

Though, having the script type in the tab bar is quite helpful aswell.

ok so can you fix the getpath documentation now

10 Likes

Oh boy, I do love me some QoL.

It’s great that you made the page single scroll rather than pages, but I feel like it’ll still need excessive scrolling, especially if you have many places and you’re trying to override a new game. I’d suggest adding filters like alphabetical order or oldest to newest. It’s a very small feature, but that’s what QoL is, right?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Is this also an option with “Save to Roblox To”? (It is.)

Also, is the rename from “Save to Roblox As” and “Publish to Roblox As” to “Save to Roblox To” and “Publish to Roblox To” related to this update? I find the rename confusing, and it was definitely saying “As” yesterday.

9 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of problems about the syntax highlighter not working correctly, and there have been some people experiencing crashes, have those been fixed?

3 Likes

Neat, this will surely help me and my team out in a lot of cases to determine what scripts are which ClassName / ClassType are being edited and which will use the correct functions and tables within one of those scripts.

Also, I was wondering if we could add a new game to a group or a place by ease with a button for the groups section of one of us developers to see and add instead of pulling up a baseplate and then publishing it and saving to the group as it would look a whole lot easier for me and other developers. Pretty much add a Starter-Place to whenever making a new game through a group and not through the original account.

^ I’ll be creating a separate topic about this as the quote saying in the post that separate features must be made in #platform-feedback:studio-features or #platform-feedback:studio-bugs.

Wasn’t this added before like 1 ~ 2 weeks ago as I noticed these buttons in the File > AnyoneOfTheseButtons during that range inside Roblox Studio? Still nice to have this but an earlier update would be kind of nice.

3 Likes

Oh that search feature is so good! I have like 200 place files and one of my game is from 2009, so I had to click through so many “load more” pages to get to it. No more!

5 Likes

Wahoo, you can search through your games. That would be useful for when you have soo many places in the same universe. Keep up the good work Roblox! :roblox: :roblox_light:

@rogchamp I think this happened with the last Roblox Studio update on Wednesday, which is when this update came out I think. I remember it as “As”, not “To”, so it probably was.

3 Likes

Tried using this, nothing appeared unless I searched something up. Possibly a bug, or was this intentional?

2 Likes

I noticed these changes come up over the past few months and I was super happy to see. I really hope Studio continues to get the UX polish it needs.

Also regarding the success screen on publishing, there is still an issue that makes it extremely jarring to publish your games.

3 Likes

Will there ever be a new Studio? Like I would love to see studio get redone so it’s easier and less clunky and looking like 2012 ROBLOX Studio.

2 Likes

On the topic of QoL… Can we please make the FFlagDebugStartPageRefreshOnF5 fast flag on by default (and/or make it an official feature), I really like being able to refresh the start page instead of having to COMPLETELY restart studio.

2 Likes

Nice update! Is searching existing published models going to be next?

This really needs a searchbar.

4 Likes

Yea, I’m going to support this but I dont think I’ll use it but, theres a glitch with me tho.

My friend a couple months ago had a game and said to help out. I did for some time and when I go to the “Invited Games” or even the Page of the game it doesn’t have those 3 dots.

Please fix this! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Can we publish the a map for the studio?

2 Likes

@BenzGamingz - ah, that would be a bug. @tamtamchu @ElephantMesh. What can we get here to debug?

5 Likes

Wow, I not have words to say what I am feeling. This are small things, but this are really importants. Thanks, really thanks.

3 Likes

@BoricuaPepe - can you please clarify what you mean by publish map for Studio?

3 Likes