Sunsetting User Ads and improvements to Sponsored Experiences

This change seems to be a really detrimental to alot of groups and developers, it doesn’t make any sense on why this would happen without some type of alternative. The only alternative is sponsoring and the ingame ads. Sunsetting is such a weird way to put it because its just a nicer way of saying being removed.

A feature we’ve had for so long on Roblox and is pretty much loved because of how much personality and uniqueness it adds to Roblox is getting removed with no real alternative and just straight up removing the ability for groups to get any recognition. Its absolutely mind boggling and we don’t even get any type of confirmation for a better service or feature at a later date. The official Roblox app for PC already had ads removed in the first place.

Seriously, none of this really makes any sense. Saying that this makes Roblox more relevant and intergrated means nothing at all since User Ads made Roblox feel whole, instead of seeing ads for google or whatever you’re seeing ads for things apart of the Roblox ecosystem.

11 Likes

Yeah, I have a feeling. I’d just like Roblox to say that outright, yk.

Also, my question then would be “why have the option?”. If it’s for beta access or testing purposes to limit an audience, the highlighted rule here exists as a contradiction to that purpose:

Source: Paid Access | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

15 Likes

Its all so contradictory to the point where it feels aimless like they don’t have any idea what they’re trying to do themselves. They need to decide if paid experiences are for beta testing or if full on games can exist as a paid service. Ontop of this we have ingame subscriptions too which seems to allow for subscription based games that can use actual credit cards instead of Robux. All this feels so weird and contrived.

9 Likes

This is an unplanned change and needs improvements before going public. That’s all.

Additionally, the “Ads Manager” update for sponsoring games is terrible. I preferred spending Robux directly without having to share my information and convert Robux into ad credits. These ad credits are ineffective and often don’t work. Since the Ads Manager update, I’ve seen a significant drop in players joining my games, even when my game is on the sponsored tab. :-1:

26 Likes

Limiting private servers and engagement payouts is still so messed up, such obvious penny pinching by a billion dollar company.

8 Likes

Listen to me. This update is gonna completely destroy small developer’s chances of ever getting popular ever. I REALLY do not want this to go any further.

37 Likes

I absolutely agree. For those of you unaware, Guilded recently announced that it would be only allowing users to login via a Roblox account, and given the amount of new Guilded integration features we’ve been seeing with groups and games, it’s a matter of time before groups become a thing of the past.

I see Groups splitting into organizations (for studios to manage their team) and Guilded servers.

Honestly, it may not be the worst thing in the world as long as they do it right…

6 Likes

Roblox, please listen well to your audience before making some of the worst updates. First the iconic blocky-ness of your characters, now the charm of the website… what next?!

17 Likes

This is a really bad change but I can partially see why, user ads were beginning to lose their soul to me. A lot of the ads I’ve been seeing lately haven’t had the pizzazz that older ones did. Hopefully when more video ads come out for games it’ll be better than ever, but for now it is a sad change.

R.I.P. User Ads

8 Likes

So I will never advertise again. I don’t know how to use the new manager. Please stop fixing unbroken things @Roblox I have yet to see one video ad.

13 Likes

If Roblox want remove User Ads, Improve the Sponsored Game so it can show to Underage Player.

8 Likes

Users ads just made the site feel nice, and friendly. Without it, not sure how it will look.

12 Likes

I have seen the site without user ads before while over 13 (may have been due to issues on my end. You may remember a while back when Roblox became ad-free for <13s) and trust me, it’s very boring.

4 Likes

Love how they just had that big “Classics” event and then immediately were like: “Let’s remove another beloved classic feature from the site lol”

User ads will join Tix in Roblox heaven…

31 Likes

Ads are a key part of promoting a user experience, and this will definitely make things harder for new game developers. What is going to happen to that space where the ads used to be (on the website)?

8 Likes

I saw an ad saying that user ads were getting cancelled and thought it was a joke, just to look it up and have it turn out to be true.

Roblox is the only site I whitelisted on my adblocker because I thought the user ads were nice.

This sucks, come on Roblox.

14 Likes

Truly disheartening to see custom user ads are getting sunsetted. I remember when I first joined the platform in around 2015 I found some of my old favorite games through ads. Around 2017, the ads got funnier instead of just a boring advertisement for your game. I thought the custom ads were a unique feature to the platform and they’ll definitely be missed.

16 Likes

I heard they are deprecating Roblox Heaven.

19 Likes

Why do User Ads have to be “sunsetted”? Who would benefit from this change besides Roblox? User Ads were my main way to advertise my games and now my only chance at getting players is sponsored experiences. Which only got less than half the players as my User Ads with the same cost.

10 Likes

this is quite a sad day, but hopefully this change will make sponsoring your game more useful

4 Likes