Sunsetting User Ads and improvements to Sponsored Experiences

Roblox: Powering I̶m̶a̶g̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n Investors Pockets

12 Likes

Yes, like when the avatar catalog browser/creator was only for the top developers, and when large player servers were only for top developers, and when in-game advertisements were only for the top developers. They only want to promote the developers they deem worthy, otherwise they would test these features with all developers, instead of only giving early access to them to a select few so they can stay at the head of the pack.

4 Likes

I think it’s funny the responses here which are basically like:
“We can’t put making ads in the hands of children! They’ll make terrible looking ads!”
If they applied that same philosophy to the GAMES, Roblox wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes

So we can’t promote groups now?? RIP clothing groups, we will miss you so much :disappointed:

3 Likes

Why not put your time and money in improving user ads moderation instead of completely removing them?

The worst part is that i don’t see this as something beneficial for roblox, developers will spend way less in ads and i believe that barely anyone is engaged by the in-experience ads

5 Likes

I think it’s about time I comment on this.

Do not move forward with this change
Is your vision to make advertising harder? Why? You know there’s people who don’t have their game on the front page yet. These people could potentially want their games to be on the front page.

Why make it harder? I don’t see ANYONE agreeing with this change. This would NOT benefit ANYONE

7 Likes

The main issue I now see is that how are we supposed to try and grow groups? As now we have to rely on other methods such as word of mouth for recruiting members into groups. Not only is it inconvenient for group owners but this is going to affect roblox groups themselves and prevents new users from experiencing new groups and games.

1 Like

Were your User Ads for groups or for games? I have found that groups are only successful because of User Ads. Users see a group advertisement because of the amount of pages containing User Ads and are more intrigued by that over sponsors.

1 Like

Roblox, please. Why make game discovery much more difficult for smaller developers with little money? I thought this platform was meant for small developers to easily grow their game, but now it’s turning into a completely corporatized platform where money matters most just to gain a tiny bit of attention for a game. I know you guys are trying to appeal to your investors, but most of us want our game startups to be heard on this platform, without always having to spread it by word or give up money to a new ad system which isn’t really that effective.

Consider adding game genre search filters back, fix the broken game search engine with a much better algorithm (youtube as inspiration), and KEEP user ads (update the system such as the moderation) whilst keeping immersive ads as well in games. I’m pretty sure that these would help make smaller games much more discoverable.

5 Likes

this is really stupid and unnecessary

5 Likes

tomorrow ads are going to be thrown in the dumpster

83e

6 Likes

One more question, why is everyone being required to use a beta feature? It’s not like Ads Manager is instantly going to leave beta when User Ads are gone, is it?

2 Likes

I’ve almost lost interest in Roblox due to the countless changes made by the Official Roblox Developers over the years. These changes seem to lack coherence and understanding of how the platform should work together. It feels like they are more interested in criticizing rather than listening to user’s feedback to make the website more enjoyable.

It is one of those things that affect The Roblox Community Historical Society in the gaming platform, making it less profitable for us.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

It feels like creating games on roblox is just like trying to get back to its former shell. Roblox has been making bad bad BAD choices ever since they went public. So many restrictions its all REMOVING the easy and the ENTIRE reason we all went to roblox. Now u need millions and millions of robux to advertise or just mad luck from a youtuber…

Roblox before going public and doing all these changes ~2022 and before was a amazing time to be a developer! Now, please quit if your thinking about starting.

5 Likes

The once great platform “roblox” that did power millions of young developers imaginations, now asks for millions of robux to even launch games, promotes only games with billions of players all over the entire site, and never listens to their crying community. Its sure not powering my imagination anymore.

This platform used to be so amazing! If you told me 2 or 3 years ago they would ruin things like this I would be shocked and crushed!!

2 Likes

2021 was the last good year. The dream is over. This “sunsets” the dream. Crushing it. Not peacefully in “the sun”

3 Likes

honestly not sure what all the negative feedback is about, user ads aren’t shown to mobile, tablet or console users, and the new ad manager has an entire arsenal of way more useful tools and stats etc.

sure, it’s a little nostalgic, but nostalgia should not drive business decisions on either roblox’s part or a developer’s part. doesn’t make sense to me

a lot of users on roblox rely on user ads to promote their groups, clothing groups, roleplay groups etc. also their ugc items! not every group has a game. nostalgia doesn’t have anything to do with this (at least for me), i’ve had adblock for most of my time on roblox.

the main problem about this is not being able to promote items nor groups.

7 Likes

I think the old Sponsored Items feature will remain for now; we just can’t promote groups (or games that charge access).

Why weren’t groups factored in in the first place???

You’ve been working on this for MONTHS and you haven’t figured that out?

5 Likes