Support with setting up Rojo

I have been reading up on articles about Rojo and I’m considering making the switch for a more convenient workflow. Although, I’ve run into a problem. I’ve gone through articles among articles about how to set up Rojo. I have VSC downloaded with plugins along with the Roblox Studio plugin and I have yet to find a tutorial that can help me. If anyone knows of a forum or article that is very specific with connecting to a Roblox game, please let me know :smiley:

Thank you for your help if you are able to provide any, if not have a great rest of your day.

6 Likes

Do you plan on making a new project with Rojo, or are you converting an existing project?

2 Likes

I’ll go ahead and link some articles that may be helpful., I don’t have much experience in Rojo.

Cheers! Best of luck to your project!

3 Likes

I just am wanting to figure out how to connect Roblox studio to Rojo

2 Likes

Alright, rojo is composed by 2 parts. The Roblox Studio plugin, and the webserver. If you’re using vsc, you just need to search up “rojo” in the extensions page.

Then, you need to install it, and follow the instructions on-screen. Once it asks for the roblox studio plugin, select the first option. It’ll automatically install it for you. All you need to do is restart roblox studio, go to plugins, and the plugin should be there. Then you just need to initiate the server in vsc:
All you have to do from there is open up the plugin window in roblox studio, and click on connect. Once it’s connected, all changes you make via vsc will be immediately be seen on Roblox Studio!

3 Likes

I will do this and let you know how it goes! Quick question, I see you don’t have any plugins for lua are the plugins that Rojo suggests you to install, are they necessary?

2 Likes

I do have them installed, but they don’t appear since I’m doing a search. No, those plugins aren’t required. But I highly recommend you to download a lua and luau syntax plugin, otherwise, your code will not be highlighted or be checked for errors.

2 Likes

It’s asking me to enter a command that is not appearing for me. What should I do

(I am very new to VCS please stay with me)

1 Like

Don’t worry, that’s just a small documentation problem with rojo, try to do Rojo: Show welcome screen instead.

1 Like

Okay, that worked. What should I do from here now?

1 Like

Click “Manage it for me”, it’ll automatically install the roblox studio plugin for you.

1 Like

I already have the plugin installed, Does that matter? And what should I do next after that?

1 Like

If you have the Roblox Studio plugin already installed in Roblox Studio, you don’t have to do anything else with the welcome page. Now you need to create a new project in vsc.
Create a new folder and then open it using this option.

You can then run Rojo: Build place/model file in the command bar, and it’ll create a basic structure of a game inside of the folder you just opened.

1 Like

I created a new folder, selected it through VCS and now the folder is empty, so how would I properly use the Rojo: Build place/model file command?

1 Like

My bad, try to type Rojo: Initialize instead.

1 Like
  "name": "Rojo Projects",
  "tree": {
    "$className": "DataModel",
    "HttpService": {
      "$className": "HttpService",
      "$properties": {
        "HttpEnabled": true
      }
    },
    "Lighting": {
      "$className": "Lighting",
        "GlobalShadows": true,
        "Ambient": [
        ],
        "Technology": "Voxel",
        "Outlines": false,
        "Brightness": 2.0
      }
    },
    "ReplicatedStorage": {
      "$className": "ReplicatedStorage",
      "Source": {
        "$path": "src"
      }
    },
    "SoundService": {
      "$className": "SoundService",
        "RespectFilteringEnabled": true
      }
    },
    "Workspace": {
      "$className": "Workspace",
        "FilteringEnabled": true
      },
      "Baseplate": {
        "$className": "Part",
          "Locked": true,
          "Color": [
          ],
          "Anchored": true,
          "Size": [
          ],
          "Position": [
          ]
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I got this, what should I do next?

1 Like

Now, you need to create a new folder with the name of any service in default.project.json, like Workspace, for example.

Just right click your file tree window and select “New Folder”!

1 Like

I don’t have a studio file selected is that okay? I have a feeling it isn’t because I need a game to connect to. But, I’ll create a folder now!

1 Like

You don’t need to be connected for now.

1 Like

error

I get this error when trying to create the folder.

1 Like