Surface Appearance Textures Backend Upgrade

I’ve noticed visual improvements with overlapping PBR meshes with 0-1 transparency. This is a nice improvement, however will there be ways to immediately change intensities, normalcolors, live without the models temporarily disappearing? or anything new in general after the current issues get fixed.

Other than that, great work so far and thank you for being transparent :+1:

1 Like

Speaking from personal experience, that’s strange. Do you have any suspicious scripts in your game?

Nope. Its clearly the trees. Since it slows it down in studio (without going into play/or run) too; and it slows down as soon as they finish loading.

Can also confirm this. (aswell as the city game having lower fps than normal) Issue seems to be with those assets. Why? Im not fully sure

3 Likes

having an issue where surfaceappearances consisting of all 4 maps have normal maps and metalness maps not affecting the surface/not showing up ingame but shows up just fine in studio
surfaceappearance setups consisting of only metalness maps and roughness maps still seems to work just the same both ingame and in studio [refer to the paint of the car seen in the pics]
render quality for both of them are the same at level 21 with graphics mode set to Direct3D11
ingame [alphamode: transparency]

ingame [alphamode: overlay]

studio [alphamode: transparency]

studio [alphamode: overlay]

2 Likes

I’m wondering why my base color for my t 34 tank keeps displaying
and when I go and and change the number to another one and then change it back it shows it on the model
different texture:

Summary

the t34 base color texture:

Summary

Thanks for the report, this is an issue that we are aware of and currently working on. Basically, the SurfaceAppearance object is incorrect state. This look fine in Studio because Studio is generating preview locally even when the state is incorrect but not in Client (game).

The workaround is:

1. remove one of the texture map (for example Roughness Map)
  2. plug the same texture back in
  3. wait until the message saying that SurfaceAppearance has been uploaded comes out
  4. save/publish
5 Likes

Just a note for everyone else, for any moderation issue you can appeal the moderation decision in: Support - Roblox, make sure to choose the correct category, i.e. “Moderation”, “Appeal Account or Content”:

2 Likes

Quick question, if I add for example 100 meshes with surface appearance, will it affect performance heavily? This includes roughness, metalness, normal, and color maps.

Been having issues with SurfaceAppearance ever since the backend update was implemented. I’ve tried the workaround described here on each mesh (with the output confirmation) and published.

However, as you can see here, still only the diffuse textures are loading ingame:

Normal and roughness maps as shown in Studio:

I’m also curious as to whether this process needs to be done with every individual instance of a SurfaceAppearance. There’s thousands of trees across the entire map of different varieties, so this process would be overly time-consuming. Nevertheless, each specific SurfaceAppearance instance I manually updated still aren’t displaying correctly ingame.

9 Likes

wow, that’s a very nice build!

1 Like

Does PBR textures cause more lag than normal materials?

3 Likes

Hey @fnublox we are still having issues with SurfaceAppearance not showing in game. I replied to a bug report about it with the specific details:

1 Like

I am also noticing this is happening to other games that I play, as well as my own

A solution to my issue was using rbxassetid:// texture ID for all maps instead of the direct url try that and see if it works

1 Like

I get surface appearance in game, but weird, weird stuff under ViewportFrame/WorldModel. On the left, viewport. On the right, workspace. Same mesh, same SurfaceAppearance.

Yes, it’s showing partial SurfaceAppearance (as the color and normal show up). Metalness and Roughness are nowhere to be found… Is there a fix for this? Am I adopting too early?

But while we’re here, what’s up with this extremely weird camera distortion? They don’t even look like the same mesh!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.