SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Alright guys and gals, it’s the update we’ve been waiting for! Let’s get some hype!

Do you have both environment properties set to 1 under Lighting?

Buildings with surfaceappearance, more to come. it’s pretty interesting to work with.

18 Likes

This is very exciting for the future of this Platform
Before and After comprassion

18 Likes

23 Likes

This is not true at all. Please, if you are not going to read the licenses to the products you use, refrain from informing people on them.

Under the Unreal Unlimited plan, your access to Megascans is licensed for use in Unreal Engine as UE-Only Content -- that means that any output (renders, game, demo, video, etc.) should be produced in Unreal Engine only.

You may use other tools at various stages in your pipeline, as long as the final product is in Unreal Engine.

For UE-Only Content, you may exercise your rights under the License only if and to the extent that the UE-Only Content is utilized in a Product that requires the Engine Code to operate or is a non-interactive linear media product (e.g., broadcast or streamed video files, cartoons, movies, or images) rendered using the Engine Code.

It doesn’t say anything about whether you actually publish the game or not, it simply says the final product must be in Unreal Engine. It says you may use it in other programs, but the use of the assets in other programs must ultimately be in the process to put it into UE4, there is no:

Unless you are taking the assets into another program with the goal of ultimately putting it in UE4 and rendering it out there. (In other words, as long as you putting it in another program is apart of your process, it’s a step, and is apart of your pipeline, it’s not allowed)

You can argue that you want to put Megascans assets into Roblox (locally) to concept out a map there then put it in UE4, but I’d be careful with that logic. If you believe putting it in another program is apart of your pipeline, you should be able to explain why and why it is essential to get your final product looking how you want. Unless you have the plans to put the assets ultimately in a UE4 project, you can not use their assets under that plan. If you plan to put the assets in Roblox, you need to have a reason why putting the assets into Roblox was a needed step to ultimately put in UE4.

Please, on a public forum, do not post a false interpretation of a license. You should refrain from posting anything publicly that will falsely inform someone or worse, lead them to doing something illegal.

For anyone else reading this:
This is an incredible update, but to stay safe and on the legal side, make sure you are getting your textures from a legal source. There are plenty of websites out there with awesome and amazing free textures, and there are paid services too. If you want assets from a paid service, it’s obviously better to pay for it. If you are not going to pay for it, please don’t inform others to also illegally obtain assets.

^ That is a great post here on the Developer Forum with a list of free texture sites, and I’ve also replied to that post with more free texture sites and even some free 3d model sites.

18 Likes

That scene looks absolutely beautiful and I agree, the biggest downside of this update is the workflow of it. It is extremely tedious at the moment to import a mesh and every texture for it, wait for it to load onto the website, and then put in a SurfaceAppearance object. I am personally trying to make an unofficial Quixel Bridge plugin maybe to make this easier, but I am currently holding it off until this is out of beta. Homeomorph mentioned in another reply I think that Roblox plans to make this workflow better without having to put a SurfaceAppearance object in every mesh and I think tiling was also mentioned. I am excited to see how the Material Service that is targetted toward the 3rd quarter of the roadmap works for this, and how it will improve the workflow! :smiley:

7 Likes

I’d try baking a normal map using vector bump; that seems to help a bit.

1 Like

I literally can not get enough of this amazing thing!!

23 Likes

Got around to testing it out with something I had done in Blender a while ago. Very impressive.

26 Likes

This is going to have a really positive impact on our in-game aesthetic - especially where foliage is concerned.

19 Likes

This is yours if you want <3

7 Likes

Looks so clean! Gonna test it as soon as possible!

1 Like

1024 is the max size you can upload.

4 Likes

The jaggy egdes tells me you don’t have studio graphics quality set very high. Go into Settings->Rendering and set Quality Level and Edit Quality Level to 21 and see how it looks. PBR features are downgraded or might be entirely disabled in the shaders that run at lower quality settings.

4 Likes

This is fantastic truly a new era for roblox graphics. I must say

2 Likes

We definitely want to satisfy layering use cases in the future, but we don’t know what form that will take yet.

6 Likes

The issue was actually with the EnvironmentDiffuseScale. Thanks for the tip tough, I never realized my edit quality levels were on automatic. Now there’s definitely some proper anti-aliasing going on.

12 Likes

I must know how to do that realistic sword blade! I’m new to this feature, can someone teach me how to make a shiny sword like that?

2 Likes

I can’t even express what I’m feeling right now, its almost like Roblox is starting to become something thats not even Roblox anymore. It feels like these games should be coming out of something like Unreal Engine. Stunning work, can’t wait to see what comes out of this.

2 Likes