SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

But do you know when they are going to anounce it? and where can i get more information about it?, i am so exited and really cant wait til they add this fueture so i ca continue my realistic game project :grinning:.

1 Like

GUYS what does this mean?

2 Likes

If you read the recent Updates in #updates you can see that there is a materialservice that’s recently released.

1 Like

Just saw it yes XD
i am happy they added it

Great update! But this is a little annoying

2 Likes

You’re using an outdated version of PBR textures.

Here’s the new one.

3 Likes

PBR isn’t technically outdated. The material service is more of an addition.

8 Likes

The humanoid makes the meshes normal maps to work like default material and increase its quality. Here are some examples:
Without humanoid:

!

With humanoid:

One image is with humanoid and other without humanoid. You might not see the difference in before images due to the color map.

Please fix this bug as fast as possible. Affecting free meshes.

5 Likes

You should specify the fix as “make all normal maps look like Humanoid normal maps” because i really don’t want normal maps to be as downgraded as the non-humanoid version

1 Like

It is not that the normals dont work for free meshes but metallic and roughness work

Normal maps do work with free meshes, it’s just that specific one.

For all free meshes which were uploaded before this feature it dont work. I have to use humanoid to do that.

Then there’s something wrong with your studio/computer, because I can use every mesh with normal mapping.

The mesh dont already have normal map. The pbr is mine. Try to look my game village 2021. Such meshes are there. Remove humanoid and notice the bug.

try toggling between overlay and transparency, sometimes it makes the normals load when they dont want to

Yeah that is also a bug sometimes pbr dont load in overlay but work in transparency in my wooden gun asset from Pistol (Futurized)

any way to fake a emission map or add a emissionmap

In blender, select your mesh that you want to add an emission map to, duplicate it, and use the solidify modifier and scale it in a tiny amount.

Now delete any polygons or use a regular texture with alpha channels and import it into Roblox as separate models. Select the model that you scaled inward and change the material to neon, and you’ve got yourself a fake emission map.

Crying Obsidian from a past project:

If you want to go further, add a local light within the model to make it light up it’s surroundings (depending on how your model is structured and where the origin is located it may not look good).

3 Likes

What, how, and why

2 Likes

Hello, so I finally created a post about the feature i was talking about ( its a little bit of-topic because it talks a lot about surface apperance, but its stil has a lot to do with materialvariants)
it would be nice to help me adress this to the roblox staff and maybe make these dreams real, I look forward to the possibility that this feature will bring to roblox studio

Thank you for your help in this matter :smiley: