System freezing and studio permanently broken

Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

• Unable to drag any window of Studio, whether that be a client, server, color editor, graph editor or really anything that is a separate window of studio without severely lagging my computer out and causing major graphical errors, black screen of no input, stuttering and when my computer “recovers” I’m unable to render anything but the previous frame of Studio. I can still interact with objects in explorer, change properties and even access studio settings, save files (but cannot open files unless I close all instances of studio) but I cannot move the camera around as the previous frame that was rendered before attempting to move a window around, is permanently stuck on screen until I force studio to close.

How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

• Every time.

Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

• So far this is machine specific, and only happens in studio.

Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

- If it was possible to record I would. Studio decided to print an error!

For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

• Proccessor: Intel Core I7-770HQ, 2.80GHz
    RAM: 16GB
    Graphics card: Nvida 1070 GTX (I think first gen)

When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

• 2-3 weeks ago, not sure exactly when. I didn’t use studio enough to have this problem get in my way of work at the time to be concerned, however now its majorly getting in my way.
3 Likes

Ever tried re-installing, clearing temp files? :thinking:

1 Like

Yep and yep, this is only happening with roblox… Which is the least intensive program I use.

1 Like
  • Have you updated your NVidia drivers?
  • If you want to check if it’s an OS level issue, I suggest getting the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, writing an installer onto a USB, and installing a fresh copy of Windows on a separate partition. Boot to that copy of Windows and try running Studio.
1 Like

Managed to get an error to show up.

Edit: well until getting that error, didn’t know this was a thing for others… but…

So a temporal fix is switching from DirectX11 to DirectX9 in Studio’s settings… however this greatly drops the quality of studio :eyes:

I’m experiencing this issue as well.

When I drag any window/widget inside Roblox Studio, the program freezes, and a few seconds later either the entire system hangs up, or a notification appears which says that “the application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware”. I reinstalled windows recently, it happened both before and after the reinstall. The hang-ups are looking serious, the entire screen turns black, the computer stops responding, the only way to use it later is to hold the power button for multiple seconds (force shutdown).

It’s possible to fix it by changing the graphics mode in Studio from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9.

For me, this problem happened for the first time in October.
System specs:

GPU: Nvidia 1050ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 8 GB
Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 7577

2 Likes