Taking Action on Copies of Roblox-Created Limiteds

Honestly about time… and definitely a step forward for the UGC program :saluting_face:

1 Like

there have been many blatant copyright violations in the past little bit
I believe this cannot continue

4 Likes

do you only care about limited ones? haha, a bunch of copyrighted stuff being put in the catalog and you guys don’t care, like anime items etc… my colleague created an original item and was kicked out of the program, that’s ridiculous,.

2 Likes

The topic is primarily focused on limiteds, that doesn’t mean they’re ignoring copyrighted items.

2 Likes

This is going to be really good for the platform! Can’t wait to see more detailed UGC items, and this gives more incentive to UGC creators to create well-made accessories instead of copies that they can just piggyback off of. :blush: I also hope this will apply to copyrighted material too!

2 Likes

We’ll see. Feels like this policy should have been enforced since the beginning, but I guess better late than never.

2 Likes

Took long enough, thank you, amazing update.

3 Likes

Finally. UGC knockoffs have made owners of the real ones feel less special, and it decreases the demand of the real items. I personally think that further inspection (actual humans checking the mesh & texture) of new UGC uploads before releasing it for sale should be done. I do like the fact that some UGC creators made UGC addons for an actual limited, though. For example, UGC for changing the colour of the circles on the sides of the Valk.

3 Likes

ugc start become clothes 2.0 because ppl can upload like clothes but its accessory item and they get away with make separate group different group and owner

2 Likes

Unfortunately the copying of limited items is a situation that we see frequently throughout the catalogue.

I think the biggest problem with this is the lack of originality on the part of the person who posted the item. And that was clearly making a lot of money for whoever created the copied source item.

Not only that, but we’ve seen a lot of players who use the (Trading System), dissatisfied with these items and that’s totally understandable.

Glad to see that Roblox plans to work on resolving this.
And mainly help the buyer with the refund, who often buys the item and soon after it is deleted.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the Roblox gods have taken action!

2 Likes

I can’t believe Roblox released something that is barely controversial

2 Likes

Very much needed! Looking forward to the official limiteds which would be released by UGC creators ^ ^

1 Like

Goodness! Thank you for taking action, UGC is such a mess, people literally upload whatever the hell they want including png images and literal bricks.

2 Likes

AYYYY BIG W ROBLOX

Hopefully these systems are decent with hardly any false positives though!

2 Likes

I hope you guys will also improve quality control. The entire catalog is filled with single parts and a decal slapped on them, all the anime faces and stuff. Items such as these
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/11220163388/Hazel-Tabby-Cat-Mask
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/12339878296/Joy-Blush-Head-Base-Brown
are getting annoying to see.

8 Likes

And what about the low effort UGC that people are uploading, for example accessories the size of your entire avatar with a flat image on? Copies of limiteds aren’t the only problem, there needs to be some sort of quality assurance process.

2 Likes

No surprise here, people we’re overworked about the UGC Catalog’s current state when it should have been obvious this sort of thing was going to be adressed. Well done Roblox Team.

1 Like

I strongly believe that, while copies should absolutely be removed, adaptations should not. There have been a number items that have been inspired by a limited, but it by no means is meant to deceive. Take the following two examples into consideration. Both of these examples have since been removed from the catalog.

Although these two items are similar in nature, the UGC one is very clearly not meant to trick people. It is simply an adaptation of a well-liked limited with a festive approach. If the item shared a more similar mesh or texture, then I would agree it deserves to be removed

3hqdefault

You may still say that is too similar, and if you do, the following is even less so. The crown of holidays was also removed, except it shares much less semblance to its limited counterpart. This example perfectly demonstrates what I believe is appropriate for UGC developers. There is no mistaking it as a crown of the federation, as it is clearly an adaptation.

Png1

5 Likes

I agree with you. Some UGC items may look like actual limiteds, but even if it looks alike doesn’t always mean it’s a copy. The Festive Crowns still look pretty original to me.

PS, the Sorrows Eve Crown looks like the Void Star in a glance. It got removed, though.

2 Likes