Temporary Process For Archiving Avatar Items

What about the people who have already been punished or terminated for the lack of this feature in the past? There was no way to “heed all warnings” that involved classic clothing up until now.

8 Likes

This is what I wondered too reading this post. I know for certain there were cases of people who followed the correct process to have items taken down, but because the old process was too slow or never got back to them, they got terminated over items they uploaded as a minor.

I never agreed with the way the strikes system was implemented without a way for people to better manage their assets they uploaded. This is going to feel very insulting for people who got terminated in the past simply because this process didn’t exist.

If this process is being released, it’s clear Roblox believes there should be a fair way to remove your own content that you don’t hold the rights to and clear yourself from moderation action. It would be really good to see people who got terminated for these reasons before have another chance with the new system.

8 Likes

just for clarity, is this the same as Asset Removal Request? the names are slightly different
assetremovalrequest

15 Likes

I hope the people who don’t have a platform like Kreek and others are heard. It’s a hopeless feeling knowing that you’ll face the same situation as a well known content creator, but because you don’t have the followers or platform to shout your issue from the rooftops, or have Dave on speed dial, you’re doomed to never see justice for something others have been effortlessly unbanned for after not even a full day of being terminated.

8 Likes

This is great but I feel like things like this should have been available with the release of Public UGC and not later on like it is now. And it has potential for abuse for people to take down your items if they know your email, that’s even if you consider their email in the process to ensure they own the account but an email is not a private thing people share their emails all the time for business or friends etc. I really hope this isn’t about to be used to take out a bunch of peoples items.

3 Likes

Some extra context on how this works, for those curious:

• This does not actually “archive” the item in the same way that archiving development items on the Creator Dashboard works. It just hides the item from the website and makes it so that you cannot put it on sale ever again. Anyone is still able to download the asset through its ID, and it still shows up with the rest of your clothing on the Creator Dashboard.

• If you don’t own the item, it won’t show up in anyone’s inventory or “Currently Wearing” on your end, and if you have the link, it redirects to the Catalog home. If you do own the item, you can still see it in your inventory/avatar editor, and view the item details page without it redirecting to the Catalog home. So basically, no one can access the item besides previous owners.

• Roblox recently made it so that “hidden” avatar items cannot be equipped. This does not apply to “archived” avatar items; you can still wear these.

• Refunds are not applied since previous owners are still able to wear it. Refunds are only reserved for moderation/DMCA reports - cases where the item is actually deleted.

• This process cannot be used for “Image” assets. Only avatar items.

9 Likes

How many sacrifices did it take?

(btw they unbanned bc it was fraudaulent, but still so many innocent Robloxians lives lost)

7 Likes

I can finally delete my decals! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You need to address an extremely glaring issue that is potentially still going to occur with this:

Can archived assets still be hit with DMCA takedown requests?

Previous archival methods could still be hit with strikes, and those strikes were not able to be appealed, so I am worried that this will still be the case, especially since this is going through the normal support form (a method of contact known to be not only reliably untrustworthy, but in some cases has even ended up causing more harm than good when contacting) - If copyright_agent@roblox.com doesn’t archive assets, why can we trust the normal support team to?

Additionally, why is it so hard for a simple “Archive” button to be enabled for clothing? The functionality is there, the button is just hidden from clothing assets because Reasons™ - There is no reason that archiving clothing should be this complicated to begin with, and only be half implemented with a temporary fix in 2024 after 10+ years of this being an issue.

5 Likes

good update but please make this more that a one time thing other than that this upade it pretty good

5 Likes

Like most things, the issue with simply adding the Archive option for clothing is more than likely the paid aspect of it

5 Likes

Either just let people who already own it keep it (as they’re doing now) or remove and give refunds (the creator would foot as much of the bill that Roblox can do, just take the profits out of their account balance/the balance of the group it was sold in, and hand out the rest out of the agressive tax that Roblox takes)

Either way it’s a fair deal with far less opportunities for abuse than the current system of “upload on throwaways with a group holder, cash out at the first strike and move to a new set of accounts+groups”

6 Likes

Thank you for finally adding this, and informing your community. I hope that there will be a forgiveness program for users who’ve been terminated for copyright. They had no proper way to archive clothing until today.

They deserve a second chance, please give them that second chance.

7 Likes

If this means we’re getting more options for our avatar items with this, would we also be able to get the “delete from inventory” feature expanded to other avatar items? You can delete classic shirts from inventory but not classic t-shirts, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a few really cringe t-shirts that I bought as a kid that I’d love to get rid of for good.

3 Likes

You already can delete Classic T-Shirts

3 Likes

I cant see Asset Archive Request, and the last thing id want to be doing is DMCAing myself.

8 Likes

This is the day a lot of users have been waiting for. Thank you Roblox!

However, I want to express some concerns:

• Why did it take Roblox so long to do something regarding this issue?
  • What’s going to happen to users who have already been banned for old clothing assets?
  • Why isn’t there a built-in self-service archival option for Marketplace in the first place?

There is one more concern I want to point out though, it may not sound rational but actually dumb but since we all know how the Roblox moderation operates I would like to ask this and have an answer about it as soon as possible:
- Is it safe to reach out via Roblox Support? Will I be assured that the material will be archived or will it be a way for the asset to be under Roblox’s radar and get moderated afterwards.

4 Likes

Oh that’s my bad, I meant to say being able to remove off-sale Classic T-Shirts. There’s no option for that.

1 Like

Hey @runlola_run24,

I’m slightly puzzled as to why the text box on the support form has a character limit.
I now submitted a specific request to archive my content, and then used the ‘reply’ button within my email program to send the links of the assets.

Could you explain the reason behind this limitation?

Best regards,
GamingLama

4 Likes

You should still be able to delete offsale classic t-shirts.

If you’re the uploader of the item, try putting it on sale and then taking it offsale, then see if the delete option appears, because sometimes it won’t appear unless you do this for whatever reason.
If that doesn’t apply then you could try using a browser extension (RoSeal) which re-adds the option to delete.

(Note that you can’t delete Roblox-created items.)

1 Like