Termination & impact on groups

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking recently, and I’ve finally been able to put my thoughts into words: the way account termination works is terrible for groups. I have been worry very much lately about my own account and what a termination would mean for my group. Note: I have no plans to be terminated any time soon nor do I believe I am doing anything worthy of termination. This is hypothetical and based on potential scenarios. If anything were to happen to my account to cause termination, no matter the circumstances, it’d completely affect 163,756 people.

That, obviously, is NOT a good thing. If, somehow, there was some kind of misunderstanding that resulted in my account being terminated, it’d cause me to abandon all groups I own. That’d be extremely tedious and damaging to the group, because anyone with any kind of Builder’s Club can join my group and grab it. So much damage could be done by the time the misunderstanding is resolved that it’d be beyond the realm of possibility to get everything back under control.

There are many potential solutions to this issue, though, that I’m surprised none have been used yet. They’re outlined below.

Successor system

Sort of like a real-life will, this system would be put in place to allow group leaders to choose where leadership will go should their account be terminated or the group would be otherwise abandoned.

The successor system would basically work like this:

The only potential con I see with this one is that it could be abused in scenarios of the accounts of group leaders being taken over maliciously and the group being transferred around via this system once the new owner gets terminated for stealing accounts - but that’s no more susceptible to abuse than the current Make Owner system is.

Making someone of the next-highest rank the leader

This one is more of a no-brainer, really - instead of having them abandon any group they own, just make it so that someone of the second-highest (the rank below leader) gets the group. For example, in the default group rank layout of Member -> Admin -> Owner, if the Owner were to be terminated then one of the members of the Admin rank would get the group. If nobody with BC is in that rank, then find the next highest ranking person with BC and give them the group.

Get in touch with the terminated leader

This one is probably the least likely or plausible on the list, however it might not even be a bad idea to email the terminated leader and have the group ‘held’ on their account until they name a successor to their group. If they do not do so within a certain time frame, then it’d be acceptable to abandon the group.

In closing, I’d just like to say that I do not mean ROBLOX should be sympathetic or encouraging of account terminations. I’m saying that ROBLOX shouldn’t affect potentially hundreds of thousands of people just because of one person messing up. That’s not fair to those people or to the group by any means and should be changed. I don’t expect much out of this thread, naturally, because it’s a request for groups - a portion of ROBLOX which houses an extraordinary amount of players and potential, yet often remains untouched and ignored.

Thanks,
Lilly

45 Likes

Don’t see this happen.

Theoretically, this would only happen if you would misbehave. Don’t misbehave, and you have no trouble.

I really don’t see this is a huge issue.

It takes a lot to get terminated, and really unless you’re trying it will not happen.

2 Likes

[quote] Don’t see this happen.

Theoretically, this would only happen if you would misbehave. Don’t misbehave, and you have no trouble. [/quote]

[quote] I really don’t see this is a huge issue.

It takes a lot to get terminated, and really unless you’re trying it will not happen. [/quote]

I think you both missed my entire point of misunderstandings? Those have been known to happen.

I know I wouldn’t want countless hours of constant exilations done in my group while ROBLOX CS tries to figure out what’s going on.

8 Likes

This is more a question of how we could improve the banning system.

The simplest way to fix this issue is change the way terminations work. At present when you are terminated it is instant. You lose ownership, your account is deleted. Instead, a 7 day appeal period would function much better. Under the context you’d remain owner of the group until the 7 days are up. If your appeal is unsuccessful or you do not appeal then your account would be terminated, the group would lose its owner. However, if it is successful then your account would be back to normal, you’d still be the group owner.

It’s an elegant solution that would require much less work to put in place.

If you’ve done nothing wrong then you don’t deserve to be punished, but if you have then the resulting impact on the group is down to you.

2 Likes

Here’s a scenario.

I’m the leader of Vortex Security and its 125,000 members. ROBLOX CS mistakenly terminates me thinking I did something offensive or was involved in some kind of account theft.

My group gets abandoned and is put up for grabs to anyone who has BC. Randomvshater204 joins VS, has BC, and grabs the group. He immediately begins exiling people at a rate of 1 exilation per second.

If ROBLOX Support took even 72 hours to reply to my appeal email, the entire group would be exiled (twice, in fact) by that time.

My point is that there should be some type of security set up for the group’s sake. Not the owner’s. I am not saying to take pity on people who get terminated - I’m saying not to punish many people for the actions of one.

7 Likes

I can understand where you are coming with this yeah and I do support some kind of change with the current group system.
I own a military group as well so I prefer the successor kind of thing.

I’ve experienced 3 day bans before that were based on fabricated images. Luckily I got that sorted out, but if it had been a permaban it would have done great harm to my group and its members. I fully support any system that ensures proper handling of the group. Although I only see option one and two as viable.

4 Likes

In real-life organizations you have a chain of succession, not a single successor. I am a firm believer that we need to avoid adding more complexity to ROBLOX. which is why appointing the next-highest rank as leader makes the most sense.

1 Like

What about when you have multiple people in the next-highest rank, though? What criteria, aside from the obvious having Builders Club, should be used to determine who gets the group?

3 Likes

What about when you have multiple people in the next-highest rank, though? What criteria, aside from the obvious having Builders Club, should be used to determine who gets the group?[/quote]
If you want to specify a specific individual the second rank should only have one member. If there are multiple members, it should go from oldest to newest in that rank.

Other games with guild/clan systems often give ownership to the next longest term member.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’d work unless there is more to explain about it. I don’t think it’d work because if there were a ton of people who joined and are now inactive the group would be given to them. At any time a group leader could be terminated because a mistake or it was their own fault without being aware of it. If they were terminated they’d be removed from the group and the successor could be given to someone inactive and the group would be pretty stale.

1 Like

I know from playing some MMORPG’s that the system you mentioned is being used.
If this could be applied in a way that for example;

Owner rank consists for P1
Admin rank consists of P2 P3 P4
P2 joined day 3
P3 joined day 8
P4 joined day 13

Basically if the group were to have some kind of successor system you could make it so the first appointed rank in Admin (which would be P2) would receive ownership, order wise speaking.

Thats just my thought on one applicable method.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is a problem because you have over 100,000 members. Every group would suffer if what you are worried about happened to them. Most groups in-fact are more active (Going to group places and such) than larger clans such as yours, and would likely be more affected even.

[quote]
Your suggestion is valid, but I disagree in having such a complex system. Ownership should just be passed to the next highest in the clan (player who has been in the clan’s second highest rank the longest).
The threat of termination (and thereby loss of a group) acts as a deterrent for bad behavior from group leaders.

Unfortunately, you’ll also find groups who use alts who hold the group due to their owners being terminated regularly… [/quote]

The threat of termination shouldn’t carry more weight over group leaders than other ROBLOX players.

I’m not sure if you meant your last sentence as pertaining to the future or present, but you’ll find it in both - I don’t think any of these systems would be much more susceptible to abuse than the current “Make Owner” feature.

I think it’d have an equal impact on any group worth noting. Obviously, this isn’t a big issue for small groups that haven’t been posted in since 2009 - this is aimed towards current groups regardless of size, but especially effects the ones that are more well-known. Activity isn’t really a way of determining how well-known a group is - there really is no way of gauging a group’s popularity. Regardless, it’d suck to have this happen to any group and I don’t really want to see any more of it in the future.

2 Likes

Even though I do not own a war clan, or even active group, I do see the benefit of having this system. Many players are involved in group activities. To have one mistake of accidental termination can impact the entire group. The entire active community then lose interest in the group, then lose interest in ROBLOX.

1 Like

This is like someone dies with something they want to pass on a legacy. Makes sense I think it should be added

Not meaning to necro, but don’t want to be called out for creating a thread for an existing topic. Groups aren’t being looked into with features and this is still a relevant problem.

The amount of groups that are utilizing the group games feature is high, as well as various other groups that have some form of product sales. There are also large clans and communities.

If the owner of the group is terminated for a misunderstanding or otherwise reason, the group becomes abandoned and the owner can’t pass it off to someone trusted or another account. Some random with BC can nab the group and many hundreds of thousands of Robux can be lost, and the games (if it’s a studio or has any games) can be stolen (to which Roblox will reply with something along the lines of not giving group game access, when you didn’t do it intentionally).

4 Likes

With things like group funds and group games, it is potential to completely steal someone’s income if this happens for some freak reason (like the current plugin fiasco). I own a game with 2 million visits. I don’t want people to start selling the place file for hundreds of dollars to people who think they can make as much money as I did.

If this behavior is kept, it should at least be after the appeal period.

32 Likes