Terrain Tool Beta: QOL Improvements

Most likely. I’m just too lazy to make my own PBR textures, let alone learn how.

3 Likes

I have an idea for the terrain tools, what if there was another paint tool that can change the color of the terrain you paint over without changing the color of anything you don’t paint over. For example, let’s say I have a plains area and I want to keep the grass green, but I have tundra and I was some grass that is white other in the tundra. I can use the color paint terrain tool and paint the grass in the tundra white while leaving the grass in the plains still green. So mainly terrain with multiple colors with one material, If you get what I mean.

8 Likes

this is a much needed update, thank god its here haha

1 Like

Hello everyone! As part of the QOL beta, we’re releasing an update to the flatten tool which changes some of its behavior. Whereas the tool previously cleared terrain above the flattening plane and added terrain to fill in the gaps below, the new tool pulls up and pushes down surfaces to the flattening plane. This should make it easier to work around cliffs and other vertical terrain. It also fixes issues where the flatten tool would sometimes leave behind random bumps, or just wouldn’t work properly for certain y levels. Please let us know if you experience any issues with the update!

(Edited to include visual aids)

Before:

After:

19 Likes

Very nice update. One question though, will there be an option to use the old version? Just in case people want their entire map or section of the map completely level

2 Likes

There will not be an option to use the old flatten tool. However, your use case should still work, as the flatten tool works based on surfaces present within the cursor selection. In fact it should work better as it minimizes the risk of having random floating chunks/leftovers from things like tall mountains. We’ve also looked at alternate uses of the old flatten tool (such as creating overhangs and caves) and found that using the grow or erode tool in combination with the new flatten tool produces the same results. I’ve attached another video for clarity.

9 Likes

Yeah That makes sense now that I think about it like that

This is an awful change for the flatten tool. If grow is the recomended tool to use with flatten, then why are they completely incompatible?

I usually use the flatten tool to generate large amounts of flat and even terrain. How should I go about that now?

2 Likes

It looks like you’re using a brush size of 1 in your video. This only works in a very limited fashion and I suggest using larger brush sizes in order to get proper results. I’ve attached a video showing how you can using either the add tool with plane lock, or the grow tool in combination with the flatten tool to generate large amounts of terrain. If you encounter any other bugs, please let us know.

5 Likes

I think that it should be taken into consideration of the existence of a tool that can expand flat land without the horrendous Region>Select or Flatten+Grow. It makes it hard to create maps that don’t feel overdetailed or too hilly.

1 Like

Am I wrong, or would this make a massive fps drop, removing and adding water in real time…

It doesn’t lag in minecraft or RDR2, so I don’t see the issue here.

Still, those might have different engine or something, I’m not to good into this type of stuff… But if it does remove and add at real time, it would lag. But I highly doubt that it would update in real time… It’s going to do something else.

No matter how fast you go in RDR2 and Minecraft, it NEVER goes into the boat, which means there’s just a mask that removes the water that’s inside of it.

Howdy developers! :cowboy_hat_face:

We’ve recently added Adjustable Plane Lock to the QoL beta. :lock:

Features:

• Planes now have the option for precise placement and orientation
  • You no longer have to hold click forever to edit terrain on a persistent plane
  • Manually placed planes are persistent between tools
  • The current Plane Lock functionality is preserved under the “Auto” option

This slightly changes how Plane Lock works; however, we still have the the pre-existing functionality as an option. We figure there’s a need for both speed (the pre-existing functionality) and precision (the new functionality).

Additionally, Plane Lock’s settings and plane now persist between all tools. We’re thinking about expanding this functionality to other brush settings as well. Let us know your thoughts! We’d love to hear your feedback!

For more information:

FYI minecraft’s boats don’t actually ignore the water. You can actually push the boat down and you’d see it clipping.

I was gonna say that, but it would seem that the pixels under the water are a shorter distance than the bottom of the boat, meaning water would clip through. The water level is at 4 pixels from the top of the boat, and the bottom of the boat is 6 pixels from the top. I know that if pushed down far enough, water will flow in, but I believe they still use some type of software for it.

Hey y’all!

As there doesn’t seem to be any issues, we’ve started to move the “Ignore Parts” toggle out of the beta and into Roblox Studio! Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hello everyone, we’ve decided to take everything in Terrain QoL out of beta! This includes the changes to flatten tool as well as the changes to adjustable plane lock.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.