The Big Bubble Chat Rework

Thanks! I’m already working with the ChatSystem so I shouldn’t have that much of trouble… I hope.

1 Like

The new chat is real cool. It’s better than the older one. Though, let’s say I want to make a Roblox game with the old chat. Can you make it so that you could revert to old bubble chat?

1 Like

This new chat system is unforkable and closed for customization unless roblox adds it to their API. Considering every other feature they have added that is like this, it is obviously quite concerning.

They do a good job but they can’t possibly add every single customization we need for systems like this. Personally, I was hoping Roblox would pursue the path of keeping all of their new features like this open-source and forkable, but unfortunately updates like this that simply dont are crushing that dream.

TL;DR: It’s definitely a good rework, but nothing can change the fact that they made this new version unforkable instead of forkable like the old version.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding this update, Roblox!
This looks much cleaner, and much more appropriate for the modern take that Roblox has polished over the whole entire platform with.
Not much more to say, other than thanks Roblox!

1 Like

Is there an option to ONLY have bubble chat?
From testing this in Studio, I don’t see an option to turn the UI chat off and just have the bubble chat by itself.

2 Likes

Why are us developers forced to suffer just because you want to use your fancy proprietary libraries? This is a rework of bubble chat, not a rework of the ESC menu, for example. There is no need to use proprietary libraries and Roact for something so minor, especially when it means it has to be a CoreScript.

I was excited for this, but apparently it can’t be forked, meaning it can’t be modified to suit our games.

Such a step backwards.

5 Likes

Although I agree with you to an extent, I also enjoy the revamp. It’s Roblox, not real life. Perhaps if it was NASA or the American gov’t, I’d agree that the resources spent on revamping something trivial–the bubble chat (something that, with a few tweaks, can be fixed)–is not worth the effort. But it’s a video game, and if the majority of the people want a fix, which they do, then it should happen.

I love that I am seeing that Chat Bubbles' are getting some TLC. I have some concerns about it though. That I will kindly list below.

1. Does this feature change any events like chatted?
  2. Does this break old forks with the chat?
  3. Will it cause more lag with mobile users or lower-end devices?
  4. Will this chat fix the random chat drops/cutting on the chat bubbles?
  5. Will we be able to hide chat bubbles for a certain player for x amount of time? For example, a Microphone tool that is connected to a "TV" that says the chat message.

Chat system questions

1. Will we be able to remove certain players from the chat? For example; If we kick a player for bypass or spam, will we be able to remove those messages from chat so other players don’t see them?

And how is re-designing an entirely new bubble chat more efficient than fixing the old one which takes 30 seconds to fix?

2 Likes

Hello, If you go into studio, Click “Chat” then go to “ClientChatModules” then go to “ChatSettings” Then find “module.ClassChatEnabled = true” Set it to false, And the window should disappear in your game.

I have a custom admin, and it seems to have no change on the chatted event. If there is, it’s probably minor

I’m not sure if roblox will add those themselves, But I’m pretty sure you could script a function to do things like.

Yeah, no. I never once said re-working the whole bubble chat system was more efficient than fixing the flaws the original one had. I stated that I agreed on your opinion about fixing it would be ideal, but also declined by saying that because it’s merely a video game we should let the people get what they want. There’s all the time in the world, and a new bubble chat system doesn’t hurt anyone in the long run, plus the aesthetic of it is more pleasing for me and I’m sure many others. If you don’t then that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it as I am to mine. I never said it was efficient, I said I liked how it looked; and since it’s a video game, resources CAN be spent on it. If Roblox spent all their years only making things work at the back-end, then there’d be no reason to make anything anymore, for example Roblox studio. It was so overly complex and new developers didn’t know how to use it, but now it’s easy to use and distinguish a button’s uses.

I can say this, 1 not really involved but yea…

2, If it’s such an issue to use the new roblox chat, why not just make your own?

Awesome, thanks! @TrendRobloxLLC I believe this is what you’re looking for.

Amazing! I would recommend making custom bubble chat settings, though. Like 1k for a custom color bubble chat in any game, depends if the Developers of a specific game allow them to have a custom color chat bubble. I know it seems like too much, but it would be cool for people who can’t script certain things or if they are lazy in general!

1 Like

As I’ve already stated, prior to its initial announcement, NOBODY asked for a new bubble chat, they ASKED for the current one to be FIXED.

1 Like

I found a bug, I recorded it here, sorry if you see my “poggers” spam in that chat. It was because I was testing my chat. Btw, the game is called Mr. Noob’s World

Obviously no one expected a redesign of the bubble chat, but that doesn’t mean people dislike it. From what I am reading, the majority of the people really like it. Do you have a distaste for innovation?

I don’t really see it as “innovation” when it now relies on a propietary framework and uses an inferior, fisher-price design.

3 Likes