The Future of Creator Documentation - Docs Site Beta

Actually, I think the new white space looks good, and is much more readable than the screenshot you added. Maybe a whitespace option could be useful?

finally i always hated how the UI looked, now i can finally look at it without going blind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really? The larger font is easier to read for me, the blank space makes it not feel nearly as claustrophobic, and the color scheme is a much nicer one.

I clicked “scripting” on the next steps page and…

I guess this section isn’t finished yet?

4 Likes

wish they’d just copy how rust’s documentation looks; the way this is stylized has made it inefficient to scan quickly

1 Like

My thoughts: All of my complaints about the new documentation site - Development Discussion - DevForum | Roblox

7 Likes

Already found a ton of problems when running the new docs site on mobile (I use the DevHub on mobile while coding on my PC)

First of all, the absence of a light-mode is quite annoying for me, I like to enable light-mode in order to increase visibility of text, since I find it easier to read text when the background is white.

Second of all, the site is not usable without using desktop mode on mobile, text gets cut off if you don’t enable desktop mode.

Then there’s this:

You need my full screen and more just to list the sections? I feel that only the main sections should be shown with the rest collapsed with-in the main sections. Or maybe even if there was a capped length to the menu and a scrollbar would appear if it were any longer, such as how the DevHub does it right now.

And this:

No zooming here, this is genuinely what you recieve without desktop view on mobile.

Missing an example for OrderedDatastores on the DataStores article?

Text on the API list does not get smaller on thinner screens.

Screenshot_20220406_223754

Text feels obnoxiously big, also why does the red error say ‘Deprecated’ just to go on saying that it has been fully removed, Deprecated does not mean it is removed, and this will just further confuse developers.

The bottom bar looks like it’s ‘missing something’ and again the text is obnoxiously big compared to the side bar text.

Text cut off in non-desktop mode.

You should re-think this decision, a beta is called a beta for a reason, you should continue to update the DevHub until the Documentation site is fully fixed of all these bugs.

Overall, I can see what you guys were going for and it seems that it looks great on desktop, but when it comes to mobile compatibility, no offence but you guys seem to have failed. :pensive:

I may have to consider using an unofficial documentation as the new docs just don’t suit my needs anymore.

15 Likes

Haven’t taken a good look at it yet but please fix mobile scaling.

And why are classes sorted alphabetically. This is making it annoying to find certain things. Mobile scaling is just not good at all right now. I’m seeing tons of overlap, clipping, etc. (Iphone 11 pro)

Please tell me if you guys are having issues with this as well and tel me why.

2 Likes

This seems like a welcomed change and though it is a big task to migrate the entire DevHub to an entirely new site and design, I think it’ll be extremely useful when it is finished.

I suppose the main concern I have is whether the development and maintenance of this site will mean that the failure of updates to the Talent Hub that we’ve been seeing will continue and despite the complaints about the Talent Hub, Roblox will still do nothing about it.

I was told directly by the Product Manager of the Talent Hub in OCTOBER 2021 that they are working on increasing the character limit in posts and experience and working on an image upload system. Six months later these changes have still not been implemented and I haven’t even heard any word about them. For something that’s “pretty high up on the priority list”, I’d at least expect some word on how it’s going six months after being high on the list.

2 Likes

Did you forget what platform you’re on?

3 Likes

I rather liked this sidebar in the old Documentation, I hope the extra space under the sidebar in the new Documentation would incorporate this, since it helps sort the vast number of classes.

Also, the positioning and sizing of elements is quite sloppy. There’s too much space in between elements (text, images) and it is inconsistent at times.

This notice box should remain colored to highlight it’s importance.

[quote=“DanTDM_Rocks999, post:65, topic:1746047, full:true”]

I rather liked this sidebar in the old Documentation, I hope the extra space under the sidebar in the new Documentation would reincorporate this, since it helps sort the vast number of classes.

Also, the positioning and sizing of elements is quite sloppy. There’s too much space in between elements (text, images) and it is inconsistent at times.

This notice box should remain colored to highlight it’s importance.

I would also prefer if the descriptions of properties were simply dropdown boxes under the actual documentation:

4 Likes

Well, it’s definitely only a very early untested release with the uncountable amount of bugs there are, but that’s to be expected from Roblox these days.

All the bugs, missing elements, and general day one issues aside, it looks rather polished visually and whenever it becomes on par with the current docs site functionality wise I daresay it might end up being even better.

(Obligatory “I don’t have high hopes” however)

Just curious, will the Education Hub be updated as well?

So… dark mode devhub with mobile bugs. Alright cool, just fix the mobile gui.

As for the first page here, looks more attractive for new devs to come along and start developing. Looks good so far!

1 Like

This is really cool! Given that I have to constantly look at API documentation, this is going to be super helpful for me.

Think we might be missing an ‘Audio’ tab here?

Edit: On a side note, really great to have RollOffMode explained in more detail. And dark mode is awesome as well :+1:

I get that many people like dark mode, but could you please also add support for light mode? Working with this in daylight hurts my eyes

4 Likes

I really like this change, but I have one favor: Please do not delete the DevHub until Docs Site is out of beta! Bugs are being found and already have been posted on this thread, so Roblox, please take your time and fix them instead of rushing the release of this website which is what happened with the Talent Hub.

I would also appreciate it if Roblox reads and acknowledges our concerns regarding this update. I would recommend engineers read posts such as this important one that addresses several key issues.

Keep up the great work, Roblox :roblox_light:

6 Likes

Same… if I were deploying a new documentation website I’d at least run some sort of automation to check for the kind of formatting errors shown below.

Unterminated inline code block
2 Likes

I like that you guys are trying to improve your docs.

but open source docs when? Even with the new documentation, there’s still many potentially valuable tidbits dropped by engineers every so often, and these things are almost never documented.
(i.e floor material is calculated every step when listened to, and not when accessing regularly, valuable information about how streaming enabled works internally) and plenty of other things that show up from time to time.

Additionally, many new features and changes take a long time to get added, and many code samples on the API encourage the use of deprecated functions and some of them (such as the ‘CFrame Math Operations’ article) look like they haven’t been touched in years.

However, if the documentation were to be open-sourced these necessary changes could be audited in by the community without the maintainers having to use a bunch of time doing it themselves, it’d just need to be factually checked.

I apologize if this is an ignorant take and the downsides of open-sourcing these docs outweigh the benefits, but to my understanding they do not.

8 Likes

I liked the old docs better. This one isn’t as good. It’s harder to navigate and it’s harder to get to the docs I want to go to. I’d prefer the old docs. Unnecessary change.

3 Likes