The Future of Creator Documentation - Docs Site Beta

I think this thing is awesome because you will find all the important topics about development on this site. But, it would be better if DevHub got updated, because when you have one same thing why would you create another? The UI on mobile is bad, it doesn’t let me move to the other side and read the articles. You should fix the flexbox of the website. I know it’s ❝BETA❞ but still…

When I saw the title I thought that it was something like this.

1 Like

Great work! I love this more than the legacy version of developer hub.

:headstone:

Also, y’all gotta fix the UI on mobile.

3 Likes

Looks like a decent update. I think it would be a good idea to have a system like wiki has, where the user base can edit the documentation, fix-typo’s, re-format code blocks, add any interesting code snips, etc… Obviously it will require a team of people with elevated rights to accept any updates posted by the users, but I think the combined knowledge of all of it’s users would be an invaluable resource for anyone about to start creating in Roblox.

2 Likes

Dumb question:

Will the undocumented things like :
.FileSize
.FileName
:GetBinaryContents (even though it’s deprecated, deprecated objects are still listed in docs right? I still see floorwire in docs)

Be documented in the new documentation?

This is awesome; Like the way roblox is going.

I also just recently found out the task libary has inherited the table.insert function… :thinking:

2 Likes

New site already looking sleek, but I hate how every inherited property isn’t collapsed per class, and how it isn’t easily obvious to see which things are a property, function, event, etc., when the headers are given equal sizes.

For comparison…

This is the page for CanvasGroup in the DevHub:

Meanwhile, in the Docs Site:

I can simply feel the wind emitted by scrolling this fast.

The Docs Site is waaaaaaay too long compared to the DevHub equivalent. While I am aware that the first thing we would see is a summary, I think the longer part of the Docs Site page should be collapsed initially. And this is almost hard to distinguish when moving fast enough:

The text sizes are barely different. And before the Properties text, there is no line separating the Summary, and the longer explanation of each property.

The sidebars should be moving with my screen as well, something yet to be seen even in the DevHub.

Also, minor mistake here:

8 Likes

It’s a great website, although I do have a problem with it. When I try to scroll down, new properties open up and it takes me back to the top.

Also, functions being referred to as ‘methods’ is confusing to me.

Hello, found a bug at the new documentation site, basically when you anchor a section of the page “link#Section” and scroll down/up, after a few pixels, you get moved back to the anchored section which is frustrating and doesn’t let’s you explore the page properly

Well, just don’t anchor anything.

What if I want to go to an specific section of the page with the table of contents? This should be solved as it is one of the core features from documentation sites.

The font and colors of the Docs site, is way too hard to read, I hope this be made better

1 Like

Looks great, would argue this works better than Talent Hub on mobile.

Would appreciate if text wasn’t cut off though.

I would suggest to add a description for Not_Replicated and Not Creatable description like in this image

This is from the DevHub
It will make it easier for developers who don’t know what does NotReplicated mean
And making it in different colors will make it get focused easily

The new gui looks like this:

Its quite hard for beginners and quite confusing fonts and color too, ngl

1 Like

I don’t see how the colour or fonts are confusing, I would argue that Roblox is making stuff more consistent.

I do agree with adding descriptions though

I don’t know why its confusing, but seeing the fonts and color for 5 mins made me get headache, so I closed the site

Also I suggest you to make the documentations easy to read

Like the words and sentences used in the document are hard to understand for non-english speakers, as you know lots of people in the world have different native languages, they learn english slowly from school or other, its seriously hard for lots of developers to read and learn these documentations

1 Like

Yes I agree

This is really nice. I love the design and extended descriptions.
Finally no more eye pain as well

Some nitpicks that I have:

The page title should be the actual doc that you are reading, its kinda confusing otherwise:

(I picked a bunch of random API docs, and now I dont know which is which at a glance)

The sidebar doesnt follow along as you scroll down a page, so you have to scroll back up to use it is a bit cut off at the end now, until you scroll all the way down

Are these supposed to have the underscores in them?

It would be nice if there was a TINY offset between these tags.
Also, even if a property doesnt have a READ_ONLY tag or anything like that, the frame that would hold those tags still appears at a small size:

I assume that the page gets the documentation from another site or something, since none of the descriptions load instantly as you scroll down, but Im fine with that

Overall, really love this so far

1 Like

I feel like this has for the most part has similar design features that the unofficial (yet better) reference site by @Anaminus has, which can be viewed at Roblox API Reference

One thing I hate abput the new site is the default to dark mode, as I feel some of the design choices don’t correctly fit dark mode.

I just think it needs to be polished up a lot before this is considered non beta. It’s too janky and messy right now.

Also, will we ever get documentation for internal client properties like BasePart.NetworkIsSleeping?

Additionally, will services like VoiceChatRccService ever be added to it?

1 Like

Documentation ~= documents

The documentation site is for teaching people how functions work on Roblox, not sharing files.

1 Like

A lot of documentation pages are missing descriptions, which make them almost useless.

Here’s two that I think need descriptions:

https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/enums/ModelLevelOfDetail

There’s some clipping occurring on my iPhone 13 Mini