Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

Tommy had originally gone after roblox for one sum of money from them, but roblox was adamant that they owned the sound, and refused to settle on a reasonable amount, if anything at all. Not only that, but roblox capitalized on his sound, as it was shared across the internet gaining them a lot of publicity, more members who were likely to buy products from roblox. People are making a big deal out of the sound being removed because “it’s a part of roblox’s identity,” which, in itself is proof of how big the impact of this sound is.

Taking it to court would likely result in the entire removal of the “oof” sound in its entirety. Roblox refused to pay the amount he asked for so that’s how we got to where we are now.

2 Likes

Blockquote Tommy had originally gone after roblox for one sum of money from them, but roblox was adamant that they owned the sound, and refused to settle on a reasonable amount, if anything at all.

Was the price public? Just curious.

No. Although knowing Tommy Tallarico from his Twitter addiction, probably very high for a single 2 second sound.

2 Likes

The length of the sound doesn’t matter. It’s the amount of usage, and publicity it gained that really put the value on it.

1 Like

Tommy decided not to mention his asking price, although he did disclose that Roblox lowballed him by roughly 100x in a video on his channel.

So if he asked for 1 million, they offered 10,000.
If he asked for 10,000, they offered 100, etc.

He mentioned that the gap was so huge no settlement in money could have been made. He also stated that he respects how passionate people are for this sound effect, and this makes total sense if you see how the result was settled.

Really? An advertisement in the updates section, of a guy who called Roblox developers/players ‘kids’?

I swear to god, Roblox is pushing me further away each month. Should of just got rid of the sound and pushed the update out instead of advertising a developer that waited 10 years so he could fill his pocket.

3 Likes

Not a lawyer, but my guess is that getting rid of the sound would still enact in a lawsuit because of the ‘amount of time’ it was in the platform for. Ultimately, Roblox wanted to avoid going to court and losing a large sum of money for damages. The way I see it, Roblox was in a tight corner.

It’s not about filling his pocket. It’s about the fact that roblox had used his sound, without his permission, and roblox was liable for damages. And to be quite frank, when a massive community decides to attack someone rightfully suing over the unlicensed use of his sound without getting the full story, it really does make us all look like a bunch of kids. Don’t want to be called a kid, don’t act like a kid.

1 Like

If anyone wants to see his full meltdown over ROBLOX using his 1 second sound, it’s here:

https://twitter.com/search?q=roblox%20(from%3Atommytallarico)&src=typed_query

I wouldn’t use the word meltdown to describe it. He’s well within his rights to have threatened legal action. This is probably the best outcome that could have come from this.

Per the license, you are allowed to use it on any game as you’d like, including group games. You’re not allowed to distribute the source files from the sounds kits as this would be a violation of the agreement you adhered to while purchasing the bundle.

1 Like

Well, he actually didn’t hear about it until last year.

Of course I hate to criticism but is this a way for you guys to get our cash again lol!

Also the oof sound belong to roblox why cant you just buy the rights to it?

The original owner of roblox would be kinda shocked by now.

2 Likes

I have to agree with you, I mean the multi billion dollar company can’t afford to pay a portion? That’s just plain greedy in all honesty, I hope Roblox changes their mind about this one (Slim Chance) and just BUYS the license instead of doing it the cheaper way and removing the classic dying sound!

2 Likes

We can’t really say who the greedy one is unless the price becomes public.

2 Likes

really sad, seeing how many years of gaming on roblox and the many memories i have with it go away.

i expected something better.
i truly dont support this update and ill never do regardless of the issues causing it.

thats my feedback

ROBLOX should just give the dude money to satisfy him

i wouldn’t say roblox would give money to anyone.
as far as i can remember that never happened.

ROBLOX apparently offered around 100 times less than the amount Tommy was asking for.

1 Like