Trail "RelativeToPart" Property

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to use trails where they move with the part, similar to how the property “LockedToPart” in the ParticleEmitter instance functions.

With this feature, it can allow the use of trails in cases where you want an object to “orbit” around something without it “clipping”. I think the gif below should explain it much better than I can.

14 Likes

The idea is very cool, although I’m not sure of how it can be implemented. Particle Emitters use this property to lock to the part once the part has moved. In this case however, the part with the Trail is clearly moving already.
And thus, how can Studio distinquish it moving inside that “black eye” and moving globally up, down, right, left :thinking:

Unless you put a brick in the middle and move the attachments outwards, then the brick won’t have to move, just rotate. But then again – a problem of distinquishing between local and global movement appears.

I feel like over complicating it though and the solution is right in front of my eyes :confused:

Maybe it can lock to the Part’s axis only so even if it moves, the Trail won’t go beyond that axis… Feels like a reasonable solution :thinking:

I can’t wrap my head around what you want

What if the trail extends really far backwards out of the user, and the user turns around
Is the trail just “extending” out of the user the entire time since it readjusts to an angle
How does a moving part draw its trail

I think the gif I posted should give a good idea of what I want. Basically, I want a property on trails that, when checked, only leaves a trail if whatever the attachments are parented to moves. I’m terrible at explaining this with words.

Here is a terrible paint images I drew. The large rectangle in both are moving “forwards”. The smaller square orbits the larger one and leaves the trail. With how trails work currently, you end up having the trail “drag” out. What I want is a property that can be toggled which would have the trail only register the direct movement of the smaller block.

Locked to Part is a wrong way to describe this, your’re more looking for a relative to part or position.

Yeah, I should probably update the title lol.