Treat CoreScripts as Open-Source Again

I definitely agree with this and would like to see this for a number of reasons including clarity, performance, etc.

7 Likes

+1, I think it’s really stupid that we’re not allowed to deal with code that is always running in our games in a significant manner.

6 Likes

Yep highly agree, I don’t understand why the source code access was seemingly taken away from us. It’s only yet another item on the list of the other internal things that have been weirdly taken away recently. :confused:

I do not understand why the engine is or needs to be, more and more of a black box. We should have the freedom to tweak and modify, scripts that are running inside our own experience, as reasonably possible. This somewhat sudden, change of direction concerns me very much, in many ways.

8 Likes

Didn’t they say this wouldn’t happen because CoreScripts are currently in bytecode, not readable Lua?

4 Likes

Roblox is not likely to to this. At least they should make stuff like the playermodule to be shown in edit mode so we dont use workarounds like play testing and copying.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, this change was caused by optimizations within the engine. I don’t think this stops Roblox from providing this code in an open source format, like a Github repository.

If I’m misunderstanding, I apologize.

As for the original topic of this post, I do agree that these scripts should be open source. There has been time and time again where I need to copy a script from a running game just to sift through lines of messy code to fix a problem that has been, or has not been already addressed.

A good example of this was when Roblox had issues with the animate script that was causing blending issues with other animations. This was patched relatively quickly, but for less noticeable issues, this is still a concern.

4 Likes

you dont just write bytecode, you write lua then it gets converted into bytecode

3 Likes

Refer to @Vyntrick’s post above as it explains what I said with more detail. I wouldn’t be a programmer if I didn’t know that

4 Likes

Yeah I do agree with this post. It would be cool to be able to look at the CoreScripts

Obviously not all of them for security reasons and such but some of them

2 Likes

arent they in ur game files? or is that old

I’ve noticed a lot of random warnings and errors with massive react stack traces from the core scripts. Like a lot of new Roblox features, it feels like they haven’t been thoroughly tested, and I definitely agree that they should be open source.

4 Likes

I’m actually not sure but I’m pretty sure they are.

Using some common sense told me yes

im pretty sure they are but they arent actually the corescripts and editing them doesnt have an effect, i know some of them are located in the datamodelpatch and looking into roblox studios memory some of them are in there

1 Like

Security over obscurity isn’t a good idea either. Storing sensitive stuff should be on the server instead of the client.

1 Like

You know the CoreScripts are bad when Chat GPT 4 can’t understand how it works :skull:

For anyone wondering what this looks like:

(screenshot from 2023-10-16)
1 Like

would make making topbar-style things easy again

1 Like

With Roblox seemingly dragging their feet on TWO major slowdowns regarding their corescripts, perhaps due to being stretched thin on engineer time, I think it’s time to bring this up again. If the corescripts were open source, not only would it benefit developers aiming to understand how they function and let us see what Roblox expects of their own codebase, it’d let us help Roblox staff in diagnosing performance issues/bugs.

I (and many, many other developers) would not mind saving Roblox staff’s time where possible by taking a look at the source, analyzing possible issues, and suggesting possible fixes.

TextChatService ‘CoreScripts/ExperienceChatMain’ Excessive CPU Usage - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox

PlayerListManager unnecessarily eats up CPU time - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox

5 Likes

when the corescripts were open source you could get them running in-game with a little modification

i tried to get the modern playerlist in game and gave up due to the amount of dependencies

1 Like

Its probably never going to happen but I’d support an open source mirror of the Lua codebase

Even just the builtins since they were removed just to reduce the bundle size of Studio’s download package.