Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

That might be the problem then.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Off-topic posts in “Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina”

Stay on-topic and don’t make clutter posts.

Latest Roblox Studio update finally resolved the issues I was having on my iMac with macOS Big Sur. Roblox Studio’s interface is still noticeably slow (like resizing docked windows for example), but the scripting editor is now up-to-speed.

Are you on the latest version of macOS Big Sur? Which iMac do you own?

Why are you complaining about it if you don’t know what it is?

Try changing your edit quality level to 21 and your graphics mode to ‘Metal’ (File > Studio Setting > Rendering > Edit Quality Level + Graphics Mode), just be aware you’ll have to do this each time you start studio for the time being.

I’ve been having issues on my M1 air where the rendering quality won’t save when I close studio and will revert back to automatic (both quality / graphics mode).

That isn’t the latest version. Try updating your iMac when you’re able to access it.

Why is Metal not the default option? It’s ridiculous that you have to manually change it every single time you launch Roblox Studio.

I wonder if that issue has to do with Roblox Studio not being optimized for Apple Silicon Macs? Rosetta 2 might be at fault.

Using a MacBook Pro 16’’ M1 Pro 2021 here.

I had no issues with the script editor for around a year of development, but ever since the last update, my script editor has been completely unusable.
I have tried changing my color profile, deleting preferences, and much more. The only solution is to make the window size much, much smaller(like 1 inch by 1 inch real world size) and it becomes usable again.

2 Likes

A factory reset might be the only solution then, unless you want to wait for a patch from ROBLOX, but I have no idea when that would happen.

I have had this issue happen on my PC, and doing a soft reset (which preserved some of my saved files, but now the applications, almost a factory reset though) fixed it.

I don’t think a factory reset would fix this because it happened right after a Roblox update. I’m thinking something in that update caused it. If Roblox does not fix it soon I may try it though.

3 Likes

I’ve done some testing, everything I report here is based on qualitative data, what I can observe, so I did not track FPS when scrolling thought code:

1. Script length has no effect on lag.
  2. Errors or using intellisense has no effect on lag.
  3. Color modes have no effect on lag.
  4. Nothing in the 3D view effects lag.
  5. My CPU and GPU usage are both below 10% and I still lag.
  6. My RAM usage is below 10gb and I have 16 gb of shared RAM and I still lag. Just as a side note I have used 40 gb of ram in the past(utilizing swap RAM to overcome the 16 gb of installed RAM) and my computer still ran smoothly in the code editor and all operating system.
  7. Closing all other windows changes nothing.
  8. The only way to make the lag go away slightly, it’s still laggy but noticeably better, is to change the code editor window size down to something very small(around 1 inch by 1 inch real world size, which is unusably small). As a note I have a 16’’ almost 4k display(3456 by 2234, but I run it with more space at over 4k resolution, changing it down to a lower resolution does help the lag for the same reason as making the code editor smaller). So basically either lowering the resolution of your display or making the code editor smaller helps with lag.
  9. Deleting preferences has no effect on lag.
  10. Reinstating has no effect on lag.
  11. Changing the zoom of the code editor has no effect.
  12. Want to note that all other scrolling frames are smooth for me, like scrolling through the explorer tab is still smooth even if its flooded with thousands of open folders with hundreds of objects in them(my game has 200+ weapons each with many complex parts and organized into folders). Though it would be nice if Roblox Studio could support promotion(120hz refresh rate).

Seeing as the only way to make the code editor run smoother is to change the resolution of your display I would say this issue has to do with using the code editor in high resolution. My current solution is to change the resolution of my display down to 1080p when coding(which is still noticeably laggy), and when not coding move it back up to 4k.

2 Likes

I believe that previously underlying issues with the script editor and adding atop the new update is doing this. Me personally, this post is still relevant and I’ve been affected by it for years without any real fix coming.

With the new UI and widget update for studio, it’s made the problem about 10x worse. Studio session runs incredibly choppy after selecting something on macOS Monterey (M1)

Not sure if strictly a Mac issue.
I’ve been running into the script editor running extremely slow, and I use a Windows 10 Custom Build PC

Studio itself runs fine, but the script editor has been running into random lag, sometimes re-opening studio fixes it for me, but can take 10-15 tries. Started noticing this ~2 days ago, but I thought it was my computer being overtaxed as I was doing a lot at the moment. Today I looked through Task Manager and I’m no where near any limits.

I can’t believe this bug is back, it was fixed for so long and my faith in roblox was restored until the fatal update two days ago. To be honest if this isn’t fixed soon I might quit roblox development forever and start working at mcdonald’s full-time.

The only way I’ve found of fixing this is dragging out the script editor, but even that begins to lag after a while. Also making the script window very small helps with the lag.

1 Like

I’m running Windows 10, but as I mentioned in another post, I was having horrible editor lag (unusable)
(several seconds to minutes just to insert some text) even with script analysis turned off. I closed most
of my script tabs and it became usable again–I had around 80 script tabs open and this was not a
problem with the pre-redesign/“docking” version. If I keep it to like 5 or so scripts open, it is usable.
Interestingly, arrowing around the text was not laggy at all–Just adding text.

Posting this here just in case it might work for some to get them working again.

Wow, thank you so much for the resizing tip. For over 2 weeks the script editor has been completely unusable for me but when I made studio a bit smaller it was back to normal. Thanks!

1 Like

So you say the problem occurs with High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina? Then why not upgrade to Monterey?

This post was created before Monterey and the title has not been updated. I am experiencing this issue on Monterey.

Hey folks (@bogo01 , @KinderDev , @GeorgeOfAIITrades , @Scriptide , @Club_Moo and others)

While the symptoms you’re experiencing are similar to the original issue here, it is likely caused by a different defect than what the original user experienced in 2018/2019.

The original poster here indicated that their issue was resolved after a factory reset, and I checked internally that in 2018/2019 we also did some improvements on the script editor performance to resolve this issue.

It would be great if you could file separate threads for your specific issues with all the required details (contact me if you need help with this), so that we can look into those as new bug reports and better assist you. Many thanks in advance!

2 Likes