UGC Avatar Bodies [Guidelines]

Plans may change, but yes, currently we intend to allow both group-created and Limited bodies and heads in the future.

13 Likes

Is there a particular reason the application process is being promoted if the UGC Program is to go public as stated in the roadmap for late 2023?

7 Likes

Although painted-on tattoos and makeup are the current norm, we want to change this. The idea is for these things to be separately equippable to any body, like an accessory or clothing. This should be sort-of possible now with layered clothing although there isn’t a logical category for them…yet…

21 Likes

Cus the program is still technically on-going. Why shut down the program now when the date is currently a little arbitrary.

9 Likes

The minimum price for these bodies/heads is 0 because we believe that a base body that represents you is something every Robloxian should have. When we enable bodies to be sold with additional parts like clothing or accessories, we will implement separate pricing rules.

Likely not, but plans may change!

18 Likes

Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement that will mention some of our progress around policing copies of content like headless. We definitely are aware of this concern.

[adding on to this because the forum is pointing out I can reply to many posts at once :slight_smile: ]

There may be more about this in other announcements about the overall Roblox roadmap and vision, but the short answer is that heads and faces that can animate are the future we want to support on Roblox. We do want creators to have control over how the face animates and interacts with other content.

Eyelashes and eyebrows are swappable, but again we do want creators to have control over they can be used and combined long-term.

This is included so you know if you want to get started creating sooner, this is your path to do so! Otherwise, you’ll have the ability to create this content when we open up to everyone later this year.

The ability to create standalone heads/faces is also coming soon! The policies will be largely the same, and heads are a subset of bodies, so we are starting with the whole thing and will open up other options later.

18 Likes

Nice to see the expansion of what UGC creators and publish and create on the platform but I’d love to see UGC faces be priority over bodies. It will allow creators the ability to create custom faces without having to use cheat workarounds publishing 2000 face accessories for all the body colours or having to wear those blank masks to cover the regular Roblox faces.

11 Likes

Can’t wait to see devs making UGC bodies based off their game characters.
I would personally like that.

7 Likes

Am I crazy for not seeing a reason to spend lots of time creating/rigging avatars for no revenue?

Sure you can choose to price them, but if avatar bundles have a floor of 0 why would players choose to pay for them when there’ll quickly be hundreds of free ones

12 Likes

Was just about to make a reply about this. From what remember, it is either discontinued, or in a state of limbo. Take this with a grain salt though, as this was a while ago, so it might be different now.

EDIT: Turns out we likely will get them. It’s just a matter of when. Very glad that it wasn’t left in the dust.

7 Likes

If I were to make UGC and upload it, would I have to buy my own UGC in order to use it on my account or would it be free to me since I made it?

If it’s free for the person who created it, what would prevent me (if any) from slightly altering a UGC item such as a valk, dominus, etc and using that on my profile? Altering in this context could be as simple as wrapping my own texture.

If I can do all that, wouldn’t the scale of users who can upload / create UGC directly impact limiteds and that market through saturation? Valk, dominus, etc are prized because they’re nearly impossible to get for most users.

I’m honestly in favor of being able to upload my own valk, dominus, etc. I’ve been wanting those for so long. I made my own custom ones over the years that I used in various games to override my default appearance. Just curious about limiteds and how that’s going to be handled later down the road.

5 Likes

It’s interesting but you have to remember that a lot of front page games on Roblox right now only use R6. It would be really sad for us not to be able to adapt the bundles to R6. I would love to see this happen, I’m willing to put more effort into adapting to R6.

7 Likes

Excited to see more of Roblox become user generated! As outlined in the roadmap, I will be really excited when the UGC program rolls out to all creators!

6 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I’m deeply familiar with Roblox’s pursuits in making sure new technologies are at the forefront of R&D and that’s especially true for avatars which are effectively the face of the platform. I just want to be certain that at some point, these avatar programs will also be open to and respect classic supported technologies that are still widely used in experiences today.

New avatar technologies are great, though I also do want the avatar team(s) to also be aware of those who are not subscribed that far and their desire for allowed customisation in their experiences ends at classic customisation. If creator control is important, it should go both ways. :tada:

13 Likes

This should be interesting to see what people will make.

:partying_face: Also, it’s time to celebrate because I finally achieved my goal of being the first person to like an announcement post. :partying_face:

I just hope SOMEONE will make a dynamic blockhead. I’ve been hoping for one ever since dynamic heads were announced, but unfortunately, Roblox doesn’t seem to want to do it. I suppose if no one else does it, I could try to learn how to make it myself. :thinking:

5 Likes

What will be with UGC Creators after all will obtain ability to publish accesories?

6 Likes

this is a horrible idea

i look forward to it and all the atrocities it will bring :]

12 Likes

Having a base price of 0 will be a huge determent to the quality of avatar bundles moving forward, as well as harming UGC creators as a whole. With current free UGC items, they don’t disrupt the market too much due to their cost and the fact that there is a limited supply.

If you have the ability to make a bundle for free, there will be nothing protecting a creator from another creator making a conceptually similar bundle which is different enough from the original so as to avoid DMCA while being close enough to completely cut the original item off at the knees as far as sales are concerned. Not only do I expect this to happen frequently, but I know personally it will be completely demotivating for me as a creator and I will not be creating more bundles if this happens to me.

This is all well and good, but without any protection for creators users will miss out on quality avatar bodies that would have otherwise been created if they were competing in a fair market. There should at the very least be an exorbitant cost to uploading items for free, or we will see a flood of low quality free items which will choke out the catalog rapidly just as we’ve seen with classic shirts and pants.

35 Likes

This will be a mess. Take it to the bank.

8 Likes

I hope this isn’t rude but this is a kick in the head to all the creators who put their heart and soul into this, as someone who has been preparing for this since last year and has created well over 100 unique avatars and has put countless of hours and sacrificed alot, this has absoluty dishartened me from continuing. I’m ok with price floor being low but to that extent seems rather extreme. I think perhaps it would be better if the price floor was similar to normal accessories such as 15 - 50 robux.

Further in the event that someone copies my avatar and prices it at 0, why would someone want to buy mine if its already up for sale for free? or rather what if someone copies my idea/concept and then prices it for free.

This only harms creators and provides very little insentive to continue creating avatars.

In the end I respect your decisions and will not complain further if you decided to enforce this, this is just my personal opinion and I hope you consider this

Regards

21 Likes