UGC Program: Expanding Creation and Monetization with Avatar Bodies and Heads

This is either going to be a hit or miss feature…

6 Likes

i think the 3d heads themselves aren’t bad at all. the problem is some of the recreations of the previous ones don’t have complete parity. but now that ugc dynamic heads are out with this, i think that can be solved as well!

4 Likes

While I’m interested to see what UGC creators will create out of this, my concern still lies on a specific group of creators that spam the Marketplace with low-quality or copied assets. If Roblox were to find a way to address this issue, it would make this update slightly better for everyone.

6 Likes

Agreed, heads are most likely a good addition, but I am really skeptical about full-bodies.

4 Likes

i think ugc creators uploading bodies is also a nice feature, as long as the moderation has strict guidelines

6 Likes

So this is the justification for not allowing UGC faces.

Why are you guys so hellbent on pushing these “dynamic” heads? People still use 2D faces, and there’s clearly a market for them. Just look in the catalog.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg

Objectively speaking, these “faces” are functionally worse than 2D faces.

• These faces are locked to a specific head shape. If you want to wear one of these faces with, say, the blocky head, chances are, you’re out of luck.

• Skin color variation is limited. If a creator wants to upload their makeup in other tones, they have to reupload it as a separate accessory. Due to the upload fee, and the 70% tax, most will only do a handful of tones. Additionally, if you wanted to wear that same “face” in a different skin tone, you would have to make sure the creator made a version of the accessory in the skin tone you want, and spend additional robux.

• They clog up the catalog results page and make it difficult to find non 2D-face accessories. Some of these faces have words such as “soft”, “doll”, “peaches”, and whatnot in their titles. Understandably, this is to boost relevancy to earn sales, but these words are also used by accessories that aren’t these 2D-face accessories

These are the first 8 results I get when I search up “doll” 5/8 of them are these 2D-face accessories. There are more accessories like this, and don’t forget that these ones likely have recolors (skin tone changes to the head) that appear further down. Remember that there’s a limit to how many results can appear on a search, meaning other doll-themed accessories may not even appear.

To summarize, using accessories to mimic faces is horribly inefficient compared to 2D faces, and it causes problems for everyone that uses the catalog.

Now with these cons, one should ask: why do they exist in the first place?

The answer simply is that there is NO official way for UGC creators to upload these faces as images, so they will upload these as accessories despite these significant drawbacks.

The solution? Allow them to upload faces as standalone images. This would reduce a significant amount of clutter in the catalog.

Avatars that animate through movement create a more immersive and engaging experience for users, leading them to socialize and express themselves in deeper ways.

How do you know that dynamic heads are more “engaging” and “deeper” than 2D faces?

Most players don’t really care about the “latest technology” that dynamic heads offer. When I play a game, I see most of the players using 2D faces, not dynamic heads. And if I do, it’s players that don’t have robux to buy other faces. VC and regular chat are enough for players to socialize.

And since the question wasn’t properly answered, what is the true status of 2D UGC faces? The last we’ve heard from the was from a staff member’s response to someone in the original announcement of UGC bodies that asked what happened to UGC faces?

UGC Avatar Bodies [Guidelines] - #15 by givenothingback
The ability to create standalone heads/faces is also coming soon! The policies will be largely the same, and heads are a subset of bodies, so we are starting with the whole thing and will open up other options later.

Was this staff member specifically referring to 2D faces or dynamic heads? I am under the assumption that they are referring to 2D faces as the person they were responding to was asking about 2D faces. If this is not the case (which I hope not), that response would be weasel wording.

21 Likes

these are just show cases. I bet ugc creators will make way better avatar bodies and heads. Although i do have to say these avatars they are using are strange.

But Its just for testing.

5 Likes

I think there will be a setting to make your face not able to move. Despite it being a dynamic face.

Although I think there should always be an option for 2d faces there are a lot of good things that dynamic faces/heads bring (They shouldn’t be forced though.).

1 - I think you will be able to change the “mood” Lets just say I have a robot face and I really really like the style. But I want the robot to be smiling and not serious. Instead of having to have 2 different 2d faces I can just have one dynamic face and change the mood. (What if I wanted the man face to smile be mad or just default I could change that without having to have 3 of the same face.)

2 - Animators and developers will be able to add way more character to a well, the character!
(In games like tf2 players faces can change when shooting, hurt, playing voice lines, etc… and can show more expression)

although I dont think the faces we have right now are a good example. they are alright but not the best.
Having ugc creators create them means that we will have a lot options bad or good.

Some faces can look a bit creepy although I dont personally get creeped out and some faces have the potential of looking really great or bad (What ever the ugc creator choses or does.)

Dynamic faces are a great thing. And can bring life into some characters if done right. (The characters they showed where not the best example but that’s why its just an example .) lets hope that we always have the option to have 2d faces even if they take them off sale lets hope the original owners can still use them. (even if they remove 2d faces, ugc creators will just create them into face items you can wear anyway lol)

5 Likes

Wow this is good update for UGC Creator, but at the same time i would be able to normal R6/R15 or smth about new features.

2 Likes

Yeah no this statistic is way off, all you need to do is join a game that supports r15 and r6 and observe. It feels like they are counting all the alts and botted accounts that lie inactive.

4 Likes

Lame. The corporation preaches that “being anything” matters yet proceed to restrict a core part of user customization by not allowing UGC creators to create static faces, one that no one has problems with and that the grand majority of the Roblox platform uses.

The again, it seems like “dynamic faces” must be the future, even in its current state we get blatant nightmare fuel like this:

17 Likes

I would say its kind of common for people to use r15. maybe not 98%. ive been in a lot of r15 and r6 games or even just seeing peoples avatar profiles. I would say 40% of them seem to be r6. And 60% seem to be r15.

Not exact this is just from my findings. Roblox should respect both though. But I can understand why they like r15 better. You can just do way more with it, and its less outdated.

4 Likes

I don’t think so, roblox give out free 3d heads for people who own classic faces

4 Likes

Its nice that roblox let people upload bodies/heads but plz add quality filter.
But i think roblox are making this update so they dont need to publish new bundles.
I miss those times when roblox had official events

4 Likes

Roblox is killing limiteds rn, adding trade hold, letting people add fake limiteds as ugc, and not releasing new limiteds.

8 Likes

Pretty sure in one of the earlier announcements of layered items they included that they want layered facial hair and makeup in the future that is sold sepreately for bodies. I wish this feature was included with this update though.

6 Likes

Does this mean that R6 will be removed in the near future?

6 Likes

I have a bad feeling about this…

7 Likes

they just said they are giving the ugc creators the ability to make ugc heads and bodys.

I dont think they ever stated they will be removing r6.

5 Likes

You aren’t meant to use the avatar bald without hair or hats

4 Likes