UIStroke - Studio Beta (UPDATE: re-enabled)

I agree very much. I have not seen any instabilitys for the most part and its such a good feature that there is no reason that they shouldn’t I know they have higher priorities than a stupid stroke thing for uis but still its getting quite annoying wanting to use a ui stroke but then realizing i can’t

Edit: just read that it says it crashes on ios

2 Likes

It’s holding me back from releasing my game. I hope this goes live soon!

6 Likes

Is there no way it can be A/B tested where it’s disabled on iOS, and allowed for other platforms? If not, why make it visible in Studio, all it does is cause confusion when you go in-game and notice your GUI is missing borders that make up the UI. Might be a good idea to edit the main post and say it is disabled to prevent confusion… as it says “re-enabled”

Also, when you say you can’t provide a concrete estimate for when it can be shipped, does that mean the feature is fixed and just waiting to be put into production?

Though, the feature is really cool, and thank you for working hard to make it happen.

1 Like

The feature was never visible outside of studio, yet (sadly,) therefore the title being re-enabled does not arouse confusion, as it doesn’t say “LIVE.” Please refer to other beta announcements to see the common tags, which (AFAIK) include: Disabled, Enabled, Re-Enabled, or LIVE.

Edit to reply: No, it should not be rethought. This is intended. If it’s visible in game, it’s “LIVE.”

1 Like

Then I tend to believe that the communication for these topics should be re-thought to be less confusing to people seeing them for the first time. As re-enabled is a bit confusing to people who see it in Studio, might think it may be working in game.

Generally feature rollouts are all or nothing. Imagine you develop your whole game using some feature, test it on PC and Android, release it to the public, and you get a flood of players complaining it doesn’t work on their iPhone.

There’s no technical limitation that stops a partial rollout, only that it creates confusion among devs. This isn’t just a theoretical concern either, we’ve actually done rollouts like that in the past and it has caused issues.

I’ll update the post title to prevent confusion.

Current status is that we have a fix that may or may not fix the crash, which is waiting to be deployed to iOS. Release cycles for mobile are more delayed than the normal PC/Studio updates. The soonest this could possibly be enabled would be in ~2 weeks if that fix is successful and no other issues come up. If not, then the cycle begins again.

It’s worth noting that with features that require internal changes like this one, there are often problems that come up that seem like they have no relationship with the feature that caused them. Here’s an example of a graphical corruption bug that UIStroke caused, which occurs even when UIStroke isn’t being used at all:

I’m sorry that this feature has been in development so long, I know you’re all really looking forward to being able to use this in your games.

25 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give an in-depth update on what’s going on, I can’t tell you how much it’s appreciated. You bring very fair points, looking forward to seeing how it goes. And that’s definitely a problem that I normally would not think of while releasing a feature.

5 Likes

For some reason,the UI Strokes only appear instudio but not ingame,did I miss a pointer or is it a bug that’s still being fixed?

1 Like

It’s only currently available in Roblox Studio as a BETA feature, hence the title of the post “UIStroke - Studio Beta”

2 Likes

I see,my bad. I had already made preparations for this so I didn’t know,haha

2 Likes

I hope it goes live as well it would be a great feature!

3 Likes

I hope this goes live soon, whether its through a form to apply your game or full release it’s really needed at the moment

4 Likes

Is there any time frame when this feature will be finalized? I’m sure lots of devs need this including me.

2 Likes

I noticed that when zooming out with UI stroke on a billboard gui, it looks much bolder & the transparency changes

2 Likes

When setting Thickness to large amounts, you get some weird shapes.

You can also bypass the 25 (pixel?) thickness limit

2 Likes

Would love to see the transparency property become a number sequence. This would allow for some pretty cool effects

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can combine the UIGraident Instance with this feature.

3 Likes

Ok. This update has to be one of the most useful Beta Features out there. It is so amazing that you can customize the text with color outlines around the text. This will be a very useful update for UI Designers.

1 Like

Hey there!

It’s been roughly ~2 weeks since you’ve given us an update on how the feature is coming along. I recall you saying that the earliest UIStroke could be released is around 2 weeks from your update and was wondering if we could receive another progress update.

I’m just very curious and eagerly waiting for this feature to roll out and would like to know if the bug fix was successfully deployed to iOS or if you’ll have to start the process again, and if successful when we can expect for the feature to be rolled out. Thanks for taking the time to create really cool features for the Roblox development community!

7 Likes

Sometimes when updating certain properties in studio for Mac it completely crashes studio

1 Like