Unlock Animations!

As a Roblox developer it is currently too hard to transfer animations from person to person or person to group.
I had to spend about 4 hours transferring animations from my account to my group so that our guns could work in group games.
I can’t transfer these animations to anyone without making them do the exact same thing I did, and it’s very taxing on both parties involved. I just don’t have the time or the desire to sit down and spend four hours helping each person figure it out.

In terms of moderation, I think the same way models are moderated would be an acceptable way to go about this.

If Roblox unlocked models we would be able to share animations and make them far more present in the community and free up time for developers having to make their own custom animations for everything.

32 Likes
1 Like

-Following up on NoCollider, I would like to say that in terms of moderation, why would they need to be moderated anymore than models are currently?
You can do the same thing with models that you would with animations, and I imagine the community would immediately report that kind of stuff as they currently do. Animations are just more accessible than animating a model with scripts, yet it’s still done both ways.

-On NoCollider’s configuration tabs to give access to the public, restricted, or private. I agree with that idea except for the restricted box. Rather than access to just people who have the animations, it should have a list of people on it, kind of like Team-Create where it lists the people who have access to your game. So, you can remove people who have access to those animations.
I wouldn’t recommend having an ‘add person’s access to this animation’ input box, otherwise you’d get another wave of spammers inputting names and advertising their models/groups/whatever through inviting people to their animations.
Unless of course they were on your friend’s list. That would work.
It could work for everyone if it didn’t send a message immediately to your inbox saying you now have access to it.

-Putting a price on making animations public would be a good deterrent to every person publishing them, allowing for better moderation.

-Finally, it is incredibly inefficient to transfer animations by just putting them in the models page, as NoCollider said. Here’s why.
For example, my gun animations have:
4 different reloading animations (for pistols, LMGs, Rifles, and Shotguns)
4 different shooting styles (pistols and rifles in prone and crouched/regular stance)
4 different holding animations (pistols and rifles in prone and crouched/regular stance)
And then all these animations for role-play purposes and what not.
https://gyazo.com/eaf46b66cc380c2b7d974c3e28c8cbc0

In total we have 29 animations. For each animation you need to take the model, save the animation, put the animation in the animation editor, then actually save the animation to your inventory, then repeat.
Hoo boy, I bet that felt really tiresome to read, right? Imagine actually having to do that to get your animations out there to just 1 friend. Even four friends wastes your entire day…
Imagine walking through these same steps and explaining it to someone who doesn’t know how to work the animation editor. Then you’ve doubled the time needed to transfer the animations.

-Bottom line, this is a feature that is desperately needed to incorporate animations in a much broader sense for developers and players alike while improving aesthetics and game-play for the entire community.

2 Likes

Any news on this topic? Would be very useful…

2 Likes