Upcoming Changes to Avatar Catalog Upload Requirements

This isn’t just about whether people have enough Robux to upload. These fees prevent clothing designers from making hardly any profit or even any on a design they made. For someone to make profit on a shirt they make, they have to receive 17 sales (that would only get them 51 robux). Reading a lot of the posts here and from experience, most designs get around 3-5 sales which is nowhere near enough. You could make the point that we should raise our prices. I completely agree, this should have happened awhile ago even without this update considering how much effort and times goes into a design. However, right now the average price for a shirt is 5 robux, and without Roblox setting a new starting price for us, it will take a long time to normalise a new one. Even with a raise in price, it will still take quite a considerable amount of time to make profit on a shirt or pants; a shirt, that I may add, isn’t even guaranteed to receive sales. So buying robux every month is not sustainable for a clothing designer, and they shouldn’t have to.

2 Likes

This is the, what, 5th or 6th time you have ripped small developers and premium users off? This very well may be the beginning of the end for clothing designing sadly.

3 Likes

i agree, the fee at this point is just to make them more money more then prevent copying as they already know that bots would pay premium to mass upload. i disagree with cooldown but i do agree with captcha and they should limit how much you can upload per day as some people do launch collections and the cooldown would disrupt that.

I see it that way aswell. The fact that they are not listening to our input is another sad thing. Who is the talent behind roblox? Us. Who makes roblox the platform it is today? Us. Who makes ALL of the money for roblox? Us.

4 Likes

that’s true. most of the game developers, ugc creators, and clothing designers make roblox the money to grow as a company. without the community building the platform and making stuff it would just be roblox’s downfall

2 Likes

Yes the cooldown is something that could be worked on. Like say a cooldown of only 10-15 pieces of clothing a day, because who really uploads that much? They could take a survey and see what the people think based on what they upload on a daily basis.

3 Likes

Without us ROBLOX is nothing. We make all the games, all the clothes and now we are the only ones making hats. Without us, there is nothing for ROBLOX. When we leave, the platform dies.

2 Likes

I dont understand this from how I am reading it. Premium members are paying for premium and now they also have to pay 50 robux for the t-shirt to be on sale? Please correct me if I am wrong but I dont think this is fair for premium members. I am happy that people that don’t have premium or cant buy premium are now able to sell t-shirts. If I said something that is not correct feel free to correct me.

4 Likes

500 robux everyday equates to you uploading 10 designs everyday, unless you’re talking about alternate colors for clothing i simply do not see this as something that a designer is capable of doing.

One thing that i do think roblox could do if that is the case is release some sort of feature that lets dev be able to pick different “alternate skins” for clothing and hats to avoid the catalog being bombarded with 90 different colors for a single hat or shirt.

2 Likes

Yes I agree with this. I feel like the prices of these will increase because of this.

1 Like

Yeah that’s another downside i also thought about, the price of clothing will definitively raise because of it so us with little robux will have a bit of a hard time buying clothing.

2 Likes

As much as I’d like that, it won’t work. Botters would buy premium on multiple accounts, or even purchase hacked ones.

It’s not the clothing system that needs fixing. Not that it’s something you can fix anyway. It’s the catalog and the terrible sorting. Clothing categories shouldn’t be the same as the game ones. Roblox should add more genres that actually reflect the catalog, or just allow actual tags, like YouTube’s, instead of having users cram “cool buildernan telamon nike aesthetic adidas emo” in the description. A star rating system could also help user filter copies (but it should require a verified email, like the game rating system). But that’s going offtopic, and Roblox really doesn’t like adding new features.

5 Likes

Yes. With everyone paying 50 robux you will probably see on the smaller clothing developers raising there prices by 50 percent maybe. It will all depend on how much sales they have. I dont think that everyone paying 50 robux is too good. But what might be better is if it was you pay 50 robux or some amount for the week or month to upload clothing.

2 Likes

Imagine only being able to put 4 ITEMS ON SALE per month with your premium stipend! In what dystopia is this considered “beneficial”!?

8 Likes

“This adjustment comes along with other recent spam reduction efforts (such as the addition of a captcha requirement on some uploads) and we are working on additional features which will improve the clothing market experience as a whole!”

There already is a captcha requirement on uploads once you go over the 3/4 limit I believe, so saying this only currently when you’re rolling out a soft paywall to upload is no surprise to anyone who actually clothing designs on the site. The ‘additional features’ that will improve the clothing market are probably going to upset the community even further- such as why you’ve neglected to give a very clear rundown to us of just WHAT you plan on doing. It’s incredibly clear clothing designers on ROBLOX aren’t and have almost never been respected/appreciated by the developers of the site, but to neglect our feedback and overview for our “betterment” time and time again like this is disrespectful.

The current way to upload your clothing to studio makes it so anyone with access to your inventory can simply nyoink your clothing, probably incredibly easier and more accessible than it would be to nyoink it with a bot like persons who ‘frontpage/bot’ already do. They’ve made their money as I’ve stated on a likeminded post in the past by the dev team, and 100 ROBUX overall to release a design to these users is nothing. They’ve made their money and you’re punishing the newcomers/those not doing well financially with their designs- as a way to try and regulate the catalog.

My response, like 90% of responses here will probably be glazed over- but I’ve designed for just over 5 years on ROBLOX, and been a semiactive player since 2010 formerly on THIS account alone. I remember what the site was like in 2008, and why it was such a big deal when clothing and clothing designers started popping up, so allow me to remind the devteam of notable users that should have and could have gave their input on this whole mess. They’re probably no longer even around, but would’ve been a hell of a lot more valuable than whoever thought this was the most feasible option.

Shaddic [[2010-13]]
Most notable for her emo/scene designs.

JASHINGIRL [[2011-13]]
Emo/punk icon

Blotnik [[2011+]]
Blotnik has been a giant figure in clanning uniforms, ROBLOX clothing, as well as just overall game clothing over the years- an icon to many newcomers. (designed for rogue lineage+ others)

blobmista4 [[2013+]]
One of the most notable and profound pixelated designers, he serves as inspiration and a waypoint to atleast look at if you’re considering designing uniforms longterm.

jadendava [[2014+]]
Jadendava’s dress & fantasy designs as a whole have simply been and continue to be unbeatable.

These are only a few designers that I knew instantly off the top of my head, but there are incredible lot more that have contributed to notable designs seen in various games thumbnails/ROBLOX avatar stereotypes over the years, such as the ‘hypebeast/supreme’ era. Clothing design being locked behind premium/BC was its own issue, but anyone who thinks this is a good update- doesn’t design longterm; and even myself who just lets my ROBUX sit since my groups are already established and have a decent following, am considering just dropping it completely. Having to network and advertize as well as pay to be able to sell your goods at a loss ((100 robux per item released is only abt 4 a month if you take PREMIUM payouts into consideration)) is insane.

I do have one positive thing to say. Props to ROBLOX for never failing to surprise me with their antics years down the road, real vets never forget when DISCORD was banned off of the site completely for two years because of the “KnowDaGame” incident- rather than take responsibility for their own action/lack of action.

19 Likes

Going a little off topic but to stop people from hacking accounts and in this case sell clothing on it if they have premium I thing a thing that could have helped stop this is when a new ip address or a new location is logging into your account there could be an added on feature to where it could send you an email or a notification to your phone to allow that location or deny that location. Sorry about going off topic but your message reminded me of something that could help.

1 Like

Roblox already automatically enables 2FA on your account if you have an email and you login from a suspicious IP

2 Likes

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same disgruntled developer who thought to limit NBC accounts to 3 eggs during the 2010 egg hunts was still around and played a role in masterminding this oppressive update.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading the same argument about a thousand times, honestly tired of it and I can understand why this is a bad way to help the clothing catalog at the moment.

Here is the thing, 3D clothing will be coming out soon so this fee makes sense for that and this will somewhat help the catalog start to clean up when time progresses (there is no proof yet that the 50 robux will solve the bots/copier issue so stop using that argument please…)

1 Like

Yes I forgot about that. Oops. Then they could change it to where its something like discord 2 step where you download an app for the code. Sorry for the off topic.

1 Like