Upcoming Changes to Avatar Catalog Upload Requirements

even if we increased our prices the market is already filled with millions of items of clothing for 5 R$ they would simply skip past anything for more than 20R$

2 Likes

An extreme solution but what if all clothing was purged, all clothing prior to [date here] is put offsale and hidden from the avatar shop unless you toggle a setting allowing you to ā€œview purged itemsā€ or unless the creator manually reviews it or some sort of vote system that allows people to request an item back on sale [that was affected by the purge and was previously on-sale], whether the original creator is active or not.
Or maybe implement a captcha into the upload page, unless that already exists.

I know this isnā€™t a good solution but Iā€™m just trying to pass some ideas around, maybe someone can build off of them.

People have now raised prices of their designs so everyone else should do so too.

This is absolutely ridiculous and the only thing it will do is demolish small clothing designers, big clothing groups will be fine, and with some clothing botters making 10ā€™s of thousands of robux monthly this of course will still effect them, they make a lot of robux but not infinite, but it wonā€™t nearly effect them to the degree that itā€™ll be destroying the clothing designer space and driving 99% of designers out of the field, I could think of so many different ways to fix the catalog, yet this is the route that roblox decides to take. The lazy route. This update is absolutely pathetic, and will single handedly deter anybody looking to get into the designing scene, this update had no thought put in to it, some people honestly have to be fired after this because I never thought iā€™d see the day that an update with such hugely negative consequences in comparison to the benefits would be rolled out, but here we are.

2 Likes

This is ultimately very disappointing. Clothes are one the main ways that avatars are customized on the platform (the other being accessories), and to put that behind a pay wall stops less talented creators from expressing these things as other creators have in the past.

There is over one thousand replies to this initial post, many negative towards the planned proposal. This news is devastating to groups who create custom clothes for their members (think military groups with awards and such), where group members will no longer be able to afford the clothes in question without having a lot of Robux to begin with, which many donā€™t.

Itā€™s also devastating towards smaller clothing creators. People learning to create clothes will not even be able to upload these without either buying Robux first (many of these creators are children, and may not even be permitted by their parents to buy this virtual currency). Even people who are well established in their trade but do not run high in popularity and sales will be impacted negatively by this as they will no longer have the means to upload consistently.

4 Likes

In my opinion, users with premium shouldnā€™t have to pay that fee.
Clothing groups are going to be destroyed and are going to lose a lot of robux to upload, so they would have to increase their prices which will decrease their purchases.

4 Likes

Iā€™d also like to bring to light the issues that clothing creators experience with the moderation system on the platform. Does this fee happen after the clothing item is approved? Does it happen when you upload it?

Clothes get denied in certain circumstances when nothing is actually wrong with them. To have something uploaded (and to be billed 50 Robux to do so) only for it to get denied when there isnā€™t anything wrong with it could completely destroy the small creators I mentioned previously.

3 Likes

Then again, that would also change nothing as all the clothing botters already currently have premium, I feel like thereā€™s so many other ways they couldā€™ve done this, like making a bot that detects duplicates, but instead they chose this

3 Likes

This is going to cause a lot of issues. This update just seems like another way for Roblox to earn money to me. From what Iā€™ve heard, you guys didnā€™t do much before to take down copied clothing. If you actually did make an effort, some people would be happier with this change. Iā€™m pulling out from even trying to make clothing on Roblox ever again since I simply cannot afford a 50 Robux upload fee.

Strongly disagree with that one. Premium is still such a great service and itā€™s a much better choice than buying 400 Robux for the same price.

I heavily disagree with this, as a clothing designer myself having made clothing uniforms for groups in large quantities and in small for customs for myself, sometimes clothing wont upload properly and there might be a bug where it looks weird or theres a blue line in the corner, and you have to go back and fix this, so youā€™d have to pay 50 Rā€™s each time you wanted to update or fix a piece of clothing?! Not to mention when you sell clothing for 15-25 Rā€™s at most you wont make any money back anymore and nobodys going to want to pay 71+ Rā€™s for one piece of clothing just so they can make back profit on some of the clothing. Not to mention you continue with this update, despite what the community says and rejects against.

Premium users have no reason to keep premium anymore, you just get monthly robux and even then thereā€™s no point in doing that when you can just buy robux on a needed basis. Premium users benefits have slowly dwindled over time with roblox adding more features for free users which crossed out the premium benefits such as having more group space etc. Its sad to see this all happen.

2 Likes

Yes, the old clothes will keep their 5R$ value. However the new clothes under the new fee will be affected, thatā€™s the point Iā€™m talking about.

With all-do respect, This is horrible, What about the new clothing designers who wonā€™t make much from their clothing? a 50 robux fee is a lot for them, If you want to take a fee out then atleast do it when the clothing surpasses a certain number of sales or a one time pay because that is just horrific.

1 Like

Well itā€™s finally here. What an absolute shame, and youā€™ll see the repercussions coming with it soon. Say bye bye! to literally almost every hard-working, original, unique and honest clothing designer on your platform.

This is officially the WORST so-called ā€œfeatureā€ that has been rolled out to date.

How am I supposed to continue to work in the clothing industry with this as a small clothing designerā€¦ Iā€™m already paying for premium and it seems like this ā€œfeature-richā€ membership is not so feature rich anymore. I could and would completely understand if premium users could upload clothing for free like normal, and introduce this for non-premium users who donā€™t wish to pay for a membership, but to force this upon clothing designers like this is just plain right a dirty move on Robloxā€™s part.

I spend hours per piece creating original clothing and have to spend a ton on ads, and a membership already. How am I going to break even at the least? Not to mention, most of my revenue comes from other people commissioning me. I literally wonā€™t have any business coming in through my main source of Robux revenue and the only place where I found that I could express my creativity and contribute to the community. (Well why donā€™t I just find something else to do?! Well, itā€™s not that simple)

Now on top of those who are commissioning me and paying me, are now also having to pay a fee. I already see the boatload of messages coming into my DevForum inbox of clients on my waiting list cancelling, and potential clients scared away and lost for ever.

Now, this is the final straw Robloxā€¦ and I know that I wonā€™t make a difference in your money-hungry wallets by leaving Roblox but I cannot continue to take this neglect to myself and other fellow designers in this industry. We already endure enough suffering with the horrible catalogue, and pesky memberships and fees. We already experience neglect when it comes to our intellectual propertyā€¦ and now you through this mess on top of us claiming that it will fix the botting/copying problem and whatever other brainwashing claims you throw at us. YOUR PROBLEM. I say again, your problem that you could have fixed and prevented at multiple stages.

I canā€™t believe that I am finally saying this butā€¦ Iā€™m going to finish my open commissions to those who want me to continue and then I wonā€™t show up on your platform again. (If you think Iā€™m overreacting, so be it. Itā€™s my choice what I spend my money and free time on).

I am not going to continue to throw my money at the Roblox corporation every month. I will not continue to DevEx out and give you a chunk of money from it. I will not continue to play on your platform and view user ads allowing others to give you a chunk of money. I donā€™t know how long Iā€™ll be gone from the platform, but I think itā€™ll probably be a longā€¦longā€¦ while.

Signing off for most-likely the final time,
Ovadux :pensive:

18 Likes

Go on mobile and purchase the 1 Dollar option (80 Robux)

You gonna do something about this too?

Least fix this up before you force this update on designers.

10 Likes

Well, this didnā€™t go over well with most people I know.

I donā€™t see myself benefitting from any of this, so itā€™s quite disappointing the situation at hand has come to a fee. The only upside from this is that at least it wasnā€™t the projected 100 Robux fee most people were speculatingā€¦

Seems that the only way I can keep my own groups afloat is going to be through spending more money to make money. Donā€™t like this at all.

Copying wonā€™t die off from this change, and as a designer it seems that Iā€™m only getting punished for creating for the platform. But thatā€™s how itā€™s always been, yeah?

10 Likes

One of the worst ā€œfeaturesā€, if you can even call it that, Iā€™ve ever seen be pushed out over my 7 years on the platform. Iā€™m not a clothing designer myself, but 50-100 Robux is way too much just to upload clothing, at least make it cheaper or free for premium users. Iā€™d bet you thereā€™s going to be people who quit clothing design or Roblox in general because of this update.

You may as well just delete the whole category and let users use body colors to customize their avatar at this point. I can see where youā€™re coming from, but itā€™s a good idea in theory, but badly, badly executed.

The catalog hasnā€™t even been cleaned up yet and youā€™re pushing this out already. Look up ā€œblueā€ for example, and look at this. Absurd.

You should consider adding a category where every week, Roblox features high-quality, original, and reasonably priced clothing on the catalog.

The community gets to vote every time the featured clothing is refreshed, players can vote on what they want featured next.

Whatever gets the most votes gets featured, as long as it meets the requirements mentioned.

9 Likes

yeah i really thing they should do a survey to collect peopleā€™s thoughts about this as theyā€™ve done in the past with other updates. they arenā€™t preventing what the community wants most, to stop clothing copying ( forgot to send this )

3 Likes

Basically, a lot of people like this update because it will theoretically stop botting and there is no Premium requirement.
But then there is the small portion that are actually clothing designers, but not the big groups that have hundreds of thousands of members and make thousands of Robux, Iā€™m talking about the small groups with maybe a few thousand members that make less than a hundred Robux. These people canā€™t afford the fee, and will probably have to quit making clothing.
Roblox wasnā€™t thinking about these small clothing groups when making this update. Either make the fee smaller or remove it altogether. I do think the fee idea can work to stop botting but if Roblox actually makes a decent captcha, then you donā€™t need the fee.