Upcoming Changes To The Game Sorts & Submit New Sort Ideas!

Could the Players love sort be changed to depend on the recent average like ratio instead of whatever it is right now? It seems pretty… random, to say the least. I’m not sure what even is special about it because, right now, you could just use the Top Rated sort if it’s for players love. Maybe changing the name would help clearing the confusion, too.
Something like “Recent Hits” would probably make more sense than “Players Love”.
I have seen games with 50~% like ratio appear on it before, which judged by the like ratio alone, players clearly don’t love that much. But that comes from the confusing sort name.

4 Likes

Even though the old one was better since you wouldn’t need to scroll down a full page of past games, but I hope in the future there will be some new genres like Story.

Somewhere around I saw a suggestion for being able to give your game 3 major tags which describes the theme/genre!

I think this is a really great idea, that way people can search for game specific tags and find new/exciting games that may share relevant tags. Instead of just searching for “simulation” tagged games, maybe people can search for simulation style games with a food, nature, or party themes, for example.

I’d love a way to search for styles of games that are directly relevant to what you are looking for! I feel that tags would really help users search for games that they are interested in, and help find new games they might not play but also end up enjoying.

11 Likes

I recommend that you try fixing Game Discovery.

No offense, but it actually feels slightly broken, and the “search by genre” thing had been gone for a long time. Sure, some people didn’t (and probably still don’t) care about game genres, but back then you could instantly find a new game to play (and maybe it will be great) just by searching games with a specific genre! I still set genres on my games to this day because I feel that this is important for people to discover games!

Another few downsides are that; even searching for games is broken. Sometimes you’d want to search for a popular game, but then in the search page, the entire page is filled with copies (even unrelated games) and you’d never get to find the original one you are looking for, or the search page just doesn’t have the mood to search for you.

Many front-page games besides the Popular section are repeated forever and on as well. I remember an Up-and-Coming section was added in the games page back a while ago, but almost many of those games were not “up-and-coming” as described in the category, and just repeated instead of actually helping small developers (who probably don’t have the money to promote their games or don’t get any visits out of their promotions/ads).

Also, as said by @MetatableIndex,

The Players Love sort seems pretty… random, to say the least. I’m not sure what even is special about it because, right now, you could just use the Top Rated sort if it’s for players love.

Something like ‘Recent Hits’ would probably make more sense than ‘Players Love’.

Do NOT take my thoughts the wrong way! I am just pointing out one of the many problems with Game Discovery. I might be bad at providing constructive criticism, but I don’t need another post flagged again.
Now on to the solutions (?)

1. Add the genre sort back. I feel that it can help players’ games get discovered, because, you know, somebody definitely could be interested in Western, Town & City, Horror games and such.

2. Sort all of the categories in the Games page properly (e.g. clear up the confusion with some sections, and actually sort small games that have a good like/dislike ratio and favorites, and such for “Up-and-Coming”.)

3. Fix up searching a bit more, I guess? I can’t really explain properly. Still need to get better at criticism.

Again, do not take my thoughts the wrong way, I am trying my very best to suggest constructive criticism (though some of it is a bit unconstructive, still not good at criticizing these days.)

6 Likes

All of the sorts seem completely random. I don’t mean to seem overly-cynical but the current sorts are absolutely useless to me, and I think a lot of players as well. None of the sorts except for ones like Obby or Tycoon live up to their name; Players Love is just a repeat of already popular games, so is Featured, Recommended, Top Earning, Most Engaging, etc etc.

But all of that has already been said. I’d like to propose a sort based on a recent influx of players and like ratio combined, sort of like a Rising sort. I don’t think we need any more genre based sorts like Roleplay, Obby, Tycoon, Simulator etc, because in all honesty those also don’t seem to help newer games get noticed. It’s all so dysfunctional right now.

4 Likes

Alas. This is my time to shine.

Please. It is next to impossible as of right now to get across any sorts without being either a big name or having some arbitrary recognition that we are not aware of. Genre sorts allowed players to find games of different categories and allowed many games to achieve top placings and recognition when the main sorts get hogged by the same games for months on end, giving no space for smaller developers to even think about competing.

Whether it is restored in its old glory with newer ways to ensure its usage or some way to categorise games chosen by the developer or modified to fit the standards of the sorts now, having a way to sort out of the same games every time or not having much say in getting into those other sorts (e.g. Simulator), discoverability is so difficult.

15 Likes

There exists no global sort that Roblox could introduce which would significantly improve the state of discoverability of the platform. We’ve been down this road already, it doesn’t work.

Rather than chasing down a dead end, let’s take a page out of the playbooks of many major content delivery websites. Let developers add up to 3 custom tags to their game and show the top tags to new players when they register on Roblox, asking them to select the tags that interest them the most. Alert players when a new game starts trending on a tag that they are interested in. Allow players to browse all the tags at any time and view a specialized front page for any given tag.

We’re stuck in a pretty big discovery rut because the scale of the platform has far surpassed the capabilities of a front page as we know it. The only way to tackle this problem is to take an actual product risk.

38 Likes

What if their is an Adventure tag where the game that is on the top of that tag only has 200 players playing and another simulator has 20k people playing it? What if the Sim tags itself as Adventure just to get ahead? Besides that I think it’s a good idea and I see a lot of other social media websites using this feature.

1 Like

I think the idea comes down to having a system that would recommend you games in the genres that you play & like the most. You love simulators, there you go, here’s a thousands of those. You prefer FPF, we got you covered. etc.
It leads to having players actually like the games they are being offered, thus increase the chances that they will play those for longer period of times.

1 Like

We want genre sorts back. They should never have been removed in the first place

4 Likes

Well in that case then players should be able to report a game for misusing a tag/putting a tag on their game that doesn’t match what it is about

4 Likes

The single reason I could find for the removal of genres is simplification. But filter settings shouldn’t be simple (as in satisfactory not enough to fiddle around with) just easy to access and use.

Some filters I have in mind are,

• Game Genres (Simillar to Steam genres)
• Most Sold (Ranking from most generated robux out of paid acess to the least)
• Suggestions (Games based on what you played; genre/paid or not/good rating)
• Innovative (Outstanding graphics, best polished games, some sort of permanent featuring list)

To get rid of issues I personally think it would be a great idea that only games over 1000 players have access to getting these tags, and genre choice can be “reviewed”.

4 Likes

I hope to see a more efficient way of finding certain genres of games that I enjoy, ever since the Horror Genre was removed i’ve found it extremely difficult to find any quality horror games on the platform.

Would be nice to have a section dedicated to Horror like how we have sections dedicated to Obbies & Tycoons.

I’ve read through this thread and I’ve not seen anyone mention something I was thinking about. I’m unsure if this already exists within the “popular” category algorithm:

It would be interesting to have separate recommendations based on your age group, so games that appeal to younger children (6-8, 9-10, 11-12), games that appeal to teenagers (13-14, 15-16, 17-18) etc… Could be far more specific or varied but just not “popular” all in one.

The reason behind this is that far too often I see players driven off the platform (especially my own age group, 16-18+) as all of the games are directed at younger children (10 or under). I’m well aware that Roblox’s main demographic is younger children but it might bring a positive light to the platform if we can see recommendations based on our peers rather than everyone merged into one.

5 Likes

Well, first of all I think that game sorting should be more simplistic and take out the useless sections such as obby because that section is filled with free modeled and have money in mind. Nothing there is original and is is just spammed like for example: “Granny obby Granny Obby Granny Obby” also up and coming is broken since thee are games there that have been popular for months or sometimes years. I saw some people talking about the old genre searching and I think that is a good idea to bring it back since It’s easier to shed light on nw developers that are actually up and coming, I also think that there should be more care about what’s put into these tabs such as roleplay. Jailbreak and madcity are not roleplay games, I’d also like to go off of HeadlessHorror’s idea of

This is also good for the popular tab so people can have more variety based upon their age groups like when people set their birthday upon signing up for an account.

I think it would be nice to have this feature but only with a couple of steps taken to ensure that it doesn’t go wrong. I would want the process to be like this first:

A game is using the wrong tags, what should a Roblox player do?

Report it for misuse of tags

Moderators should review the report and check the game and its tags first

If the tags are misused, the developer should just get a message in their inbox with feedback telling them to correct their game’s tags, with of course a 10-day cooldown in a specific game of theirs to avoid mass-reports. The 10-day cooldown should also apply to the reports (what I mean is that, if a specific game has already recieved a tag misuse report within 10 days, then the moderators do not need to review the next reports until 10 days have passed since the previous report. I feel that this cooldown can be used to reduce the pressure for moderators.)

Well, maybe the cooldown could be slightly reduced

1 Like

As some others said, it would be nice to have a sort that is not personalized, new upcoming games, and most of all bring back genre sorting and maybe make a few more new types. And make it so on place/game publish you pick one.

Categories I can think of:
(Current) popular, top earnings, (I can’t think of the others at the moment.

New)
Up coming and or Newly released (basically takes new games that gain traction fast)

Art/showcase

VR if there is any.

That’s all I can think of currently

1 Like

This is already integrated, the Front page is different for under 13 and 13 & up

As for the OP

Copy Apple’s Appstore game page

3 Likes

My category idea:
VR
There are more and more VR games. But they are hard to find for VR players. This would make it easier for VR players to see the games that are made for VR or VR friendly.

3 Likes

I too would like game genres to be back, not only would it make it easier for Players to find the games they wanna play but it also would help developers so they would have no need to include “RPG” or “Simulator” in their game name for the players to find the game.

My idea is to have a filter option in the Games page where it would show a list of genres, for example RPG, MMO, Horror etc., clicking on one of the genres refreshes the page and only shows the games with the genre the player picked.

1 Like