Upcoming Removal of Game Sponsored Gear

I remember the time when the user-owned gears were very popular back then, 2010 to around 2015 when the gears stopped being relevant. The gears itself are very obsolete and most of the gears from 2008 to 2014 are completely broken or doesn’t function properly. Right now Roblox only create gears for the event and redeem code, further proving how useless gears are.

The question to the Roblox team: When will the gears finally go off sale completely and permanently? I wouldn’t want to completely remove all of those gears from the user inventory. Allow them to keep their gears they brought in their inventory for the legacy purpose. Only way to actually completely eliminate gear from the catalog is simply have all of the gears go off sale and “hide” them from the catalog but still visible in the player inventory if they own at least one gear. That’s just my idea.

Or start allow UGC to create and sell their own gears, might be more useful for some places perhaps? Honestly, even with the UGC, I think the gears will remain being the most useless part in the whole roblox at this time mainly due to being very few games are willingly to allow user use their own gear they brought.

7 Likes

It makes sense this is removed. No one really uses gears anymore, and no one probably even buys gears this way. Heck, I don’t think anyone cares. :happy3:

4 Likes

I’m a tad bit concerned about the removal of the ability for automatically loaded gear in the player’s inventory, more so for the players than the developer.

5 Likes

An important thing to note is that many gears are limited items, meaning to remove them for sale would effectively nullify the investments that traders have made, as they would be unable to sell them. I really like gears actually, I think they’re great avatar accessories, and even if they aren’t supported in games, I see no reason for them to go offsale. A simple disclaimer that said gear may no longer function properly (maybe on the gear page or something) would suffice. No point in removing legacy features if some users still find value in them and the cost to maintain them is very low (unless of course a successor comes around, but I think this concept applies differently to catalog items).

5 Likes

This makes sense, developers never used this because they wanted to have detailed control over the end-user experience. I also agree with @08Boat in the sense that there should be a choice to enable “Sell this product in the game shop” in the developer product configuration page, it would be a nice replacement to the gear section of the shop.

3 Likes

For things like buying extra currency, it could be a great idea! Before a player joins the game, they could get more money… I would personally use this feature quite a bit.

They should add an option to show a particular Dev Product on the Store page, so that currency and donations could be bought, but not stuff like revives.

Also, you wouldn’t have to leave the game to buy something from the shop, you could still buy it in-game. I never mentioned removing buying things in-game.

2 Likes

A simple solution for this would be a way to select what dev products would appear in the app/website and what wouldn’t.

4 Likes

I wasn’t talking to you there; I responded to two different posts, one of them being yours, hence why I used @'s to separate my responses. The first paragraph is yours, ignore everything in the second paragraph because it’s not a response to your post.

2 Likes

I think that gear should be completely removed, and only be allowed to have it as wearable avatar item. I rarely see any new or popular games using it nor allowing it, and I do agree that this feature became useless and it’s a good thing that it’s being removed.

4 Likes

Good! I don’t think anyone will notice it anyway, gears are a thing of the past.

3 Likes

as a person who been in roblox since 2014 check old account I am going to miss the gears in games but it is for the best

1 Like

Not going to miss it, never used it. But then again, I always made my own gear.

2 Likes

I knew this day would come. This is actually a very unused feature as per the poll I created a while back

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/does-anyone-still-add-catalog-gear-to-their-game-page/431713

4 Likes

Gears have essentially become obsolete but I don’t think they should delete them, some people have spent thousands of Robux on gears like the Tommy Gun and Shotgun.

2 Likes

I legit forgot that this existed, I used it in some admin game that I made when I was like 9, never used it again

1 Like

They’re only removing the ability to make commissions off gears sold on your game page. Gears will still show up in the catalog and be able to be bought that way.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t really care that this is being removed, I’ve never used it and never will use it.

Why not add a helpful feature like changing the name of a group? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Well, this doesn’t come as a surprise. It was a novel idea back then, but it’s rare nowadays to see anybody using it.

1 Like

I feel ok that this feature is going to be removed as it was practically an unused feature. Us developers most likely knew that this was going to be removed sooner or later, in my perspective, I’m fine with this. Sponsoring your own games is technically like sponsoring your own gear, so it will really cause no difference unless some developers used this feature all the time which I highly doubt but other than that, I was expecting that feature to be removed sooner or later.

me waiting for gears to get deprecated entirely and get relegated to purely aesthetic objects

Regarding PlayerOwnsAsset: I was under the impression that this would fail since private inventories exist now, or can it still reliably check if a player owns a specific asset? I’ve been directly using the endpoint instead of any Roblox service events since that gave me the information I needed… probably would’ve helped if I tested the function first though.

Will have to refactor a certain system of mine in that case.

4 Likes