[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

BitFirst is no longer a part of the Roblox company and Kairomatic is from another department (I know that they are from DevRel, but it seems that they did not contribute to this announcement as well as the product).

This change may harm us, but on the side, it is good in the aspects of preventing creators to upload consistently bypassed/copyrighted audios that are against the ToU (Terms of Use) without a license. Moreover, I believe that with many other updates coming in and out from #updates:announcements, this can lead to points where one appears and minutes later, disappears until someone replies… Creating a mess overall.

Although, everything being said above is just my perspective and I believe we should wait for those that worked on the update to respond ASAP for proper clarifications.

1 Like

This is a fair point that I didn’t consider in my initial post. Just wish they would clarify literally anything related to this change given that we are a month away from the anniversary of the initial update and it still is not possible to share audios to experiences that you do not own.

6 Likes

same bro i liked the old one, the new one sucks alot

3 Likes

Very telling that staff frequently reply to other update threads while this one is irrefutably neglected. Audio still continues to be an important asset in games and I cannot deal with this horrid library which replaces none of the sounds that got ripped away.

11 Likes

After it being almost a year with this update, I’m not minding it as much. I’m beginning to think that it’s done better than bad.

I don’t really care for those boombox users who just play distorted bypassed rap music in all of those games. However, I also don’t care for the inability to share SFX.

1 Like

In addition to strong audio moderation they need to have a counter claim system like what YouTube has; I imagine they’d be able to afford it somehow. A recent feature request covers this problem.

5 Likes

At 4:38 pm CT today, it will have been a full year since the original announcement (and upload limits) was released, and Mar. 17 (I believe) marks the anniversary of the current audio configuration page.

The privacy system is beneficial, and that last sentence sounds very promising, but we’ve seen it for a full year without any further updates (and since the original announcement didn’t give a reason why sharing was being paused [other than that they would look for other solutions and that there’s no ETA], I’m surprised they even made this button visible in the first place).
For a long time, we’ve prevented this thread from closing on its own, and the OP author’s promise of making another update regarding asset privacy won’t be fulfilled by him (cause he’s no longer Roblox staff).
Not to mention the money-related changes were rolled out during a developer contest, causing everyone to stop what they were doing and replace audio that neither they nor Roblox owned, even if that audio was both (1) Terms of Use compliant and (2) available on the marketplace.

In this thread only one question was answered about the inability to manually change audio back to Public:
“eventually, but not immediately after the 22nd.”
That was obviously before the changes rolled out and we haven’t had another response about it since then.

On a plus note, happy anniversary to free audio uploads!

This is getting ridiculous though.

14 Likes

We’ve passed one year since the original announcement. It’d be less crazy to admit that you don’t want to talk about this again.

See you in 4-5 days for a year since the current announcement.

4 Likes

Luckily, it seems like Roblox might be on to something that will help us out with the audio upload limit:

9 Likes

As of this year due to the Dashboard transition, it appears audio assets that remained public are no longer exempt from the pause of putting audio on the marketplace (so that they can be added to other people’s inventories), and can no longer be configured at all (except for the name, description, genre, and comments; can’t even be manually made private and back).
The photo below is from an asset that I uploaded before March 2022 and is less than 6 seconds.

1 Like

They really forced <6 seconds before the update private too?? Only took a year of silence for this update to miraculously be made worse… I’m sure they’ll remain quite on this too, SMDH.

2 Likes

@BlueyHeeler96 The asset I’m talking about isn’t necessarily “private” because it’s set to be playable in all games, I just can’t put it on-sale if you know what I mean. I also cannot manually change it to private and only make it playable in specific games even if I wanted to.

1 Like

it has been a year. . . . . . still nothing?? this platform is such a disappointment lol

7 Likes

2:16 pm CT today marks a year since this exact update announcement was made (and tomorrow I think is one year of the current permissions system) and we still haven’t received a second update about asset privacy. Other recent changes such as the Dashboard and ad audiences are really understandable, but Roblox did not do a great job explaining their reason for making “age under 13” accounts ad-free which led to frustration among many advertisers that I assume never intended to advertise only to children. The bold portion of the quote below is what they could’ve used bold text for and maybe a few more creators would’ve understood that it was “for safety reasons”.

For the audio situation however, this continues to be virtually the worst example of Roblox explaining their reasoning and plans.

For a financial-related “temporary” change they could’ve easily not promised anything if they didn’t want to leave us guessing and checking back.

I really hope improvements can be made to it this year. New uploads being private by default is an excellent move and may help diminish the distribution of bypassed audio, but someday the sharing restrictions for genuine audio should be dropped and the upload limits should be improved.

10 Likes

There are too many bugs in this update. Not only can music that has been granted permission be unavailable, but also official music cannot be used, and the music plugin is empty,
1、1847644908 is the official music
2、Music permissions configured for the experience cannot be used,

2 Likes

LoopRegion may be useful I had to write a script to do this before due to the audio length

1 Like

This reply probably belongs in the Dashboard announcement instead but it appears I can no longer archive an audio asset (which should be allowed long term) like I could on the previous configure page that had been retired only weeks ago. I’m surprised there’s even a button to advertise audio assets.

NO ONE is going to spend a thousand or more Robux on an ad for an unavailable audio asset that can’t even be made available in the marketplace because…oh wait, you never gave us a reason. The system should NOT look like this long term and it has to be addressed quickly.

5 Likes

It has been over a year. I wish, at the very least, ROBLOX changes it so that you can give audio permissions to somebody’s place without needing Team Create access to the place, like allowing a creator to add you to a list of people that lets you give audio permissions to that specific place. Currently, I can’t give <6 second sound effects to people because despite allowing <6 second audios before March 22nd to stay public, you aren’t allowed to put new <6 second audios on sale. I don’t want to have to give every single person the audio file for them to download and reupload themselves in order to use it in their place without having to give me full access to it just to use a few <6 second sound effects. I have also seen <6 sound effects uploaded before March 22nd suddenly deleted, ones as inconsequential as a whoosh sound effect but ends up silencing an entire game.

But considering it’s been over a year and ROBLOX thinks we’ve forgotten and gotten used to it by now just like they have with the new death sound, I doubt we’ll be getting any beneficial changes any time soon. It stops being about copyright issues and more about company issues.

9 Likes

I have decided to reply to this, because there is an important issue I need to address. @BuildIntoGames commented that devs would not be able to know if any audio has not been granted permission, unless they play the game using a different account. If the knowledge of finding out the audio problem was sooner, there would be no muted sounds in-game. The bigger problem, though, seems to be that if an audio that has not been granted permission has been activated in-game, it will start generating 150 error lines per second, and will keep adding if another activation occurs. I found a storage center for logs in: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\Roblox\logs and I occasionally have to delete 10GB files from errors being generated in-game. These issues are pretty serious, and hopefully they can be addressed soon…

5 Likes

I feel like we’re being left in the dark intentionally. This is a case where whichever teams that were meant to be updating us on the situation or making changes have either moved on or decided to ignore us – none of this was skin off teeth for any of the top devs generating most revenue, since they had the budget to create and upload all of their own audios in the first place.

On the other end, everyone still affected by the update only controls about 0.01% of Roblox’s player base anyways, so we may as well be talking to a brick wall. I know this is a bleak line to drop, but I think everyone knows we’ll be forced to shut up and adapt eventually.

4 Likes