[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This would be abuse of the bug reporting system and would probably get us all banned, not the greatest idea in the world.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we must wait, for we can do nothing else.

7 Likes

There is a problem with the audio limits. It is 10 without ID verification, and 100 with it. This is too small of a limit (for ID-unverified). Some players got the 2000 limit, but the criteria for it is not disclosed. I think it should be 10 for players who are not verified at all, 100 for players with any kind of verification, not just ID-verification, 1000 for fully verified players, and 2000 for players who are fully verified and have Roblox Premium.

7 Likes

those are technically not bugs, and literally abuse of the bug report system :skull:

3 Likes

I know it is abusing the bug report system, but who cares anyway. This is already not acceptable. If people want to wait for it then it would probably be forever.

BTW if you just write the bug report not as straight forward as saying you hate waiting for this bug, you will probably be fine.

It would probably be too minor to get you banned if you do it once, but it is still a risk for sure.

1 Like

Not really of the opinion that it would do much to use bug reporting for this, they’re not gonna respond just because we try to bring more awareness, the public discourse of the forum is indication enough for them to see that people are frustrated. As an aside, and this is just one example, roblox has been struggling with actually releasing “promised” features for a while now. We might as well stop assuming their assurances are reliable.

2 Likes

That aged well.

Regardless, this continued silence on the asset privacy system is frustrating. I know I’m just adding to the pile at this point, but publicly available audio assets are a massively important feature. I’m part of a community of people who create fictional cars, and this has effectively hamstrung one of the most important features in helping to make cars stand out from each other: sound. We can’t upload unique-sounding engines and share them in our publicly available models. The best we can do is try to trawl through inventories to find sounds that weren’t forcibly made “super private”, or to play with pitch and sound blending to make the few remaining non-terrible engine sounds stand out from each other.

Alas, all we can do is wait and see.

9 Likes

Well, you do you, but I’m not going to be a part of your “”““insurrection””“” here.

EDIT: Added sizably massive sarcasm quotes

1 Like

Hopefully that means this will be addressed later this year if not next year :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s great that I was wrong haha I was sincerely excited for shapecasts so I felt the need to mention it. Didn’t realize they had started testing the feature…
The new creator roadmap announcement is pretty promising (considering it mentions audio privacy at all as we’ve been in the dark otherwise), but still, sucks it doesn’t give us a clearer time window for when we can actually expect something

2 Likes

Any details or information on when this actually is coming out, if this is even still in development?

Currently, we need to add 23+ games in each audio asset, what’s crazy. Doing this manually is a lot of extra work that could or should have been prevented by now.

It should have been on release of this feature that audio uploaded by the same group automatically would have shared in all the games of that group without manual labor. That would already have solved these problems for many developers.

However personally, for our studio it wouldn’t have solved anything.
We actually operate with multiple different groups. One being the public group where the final releases come on and the other the development group and sometimes a third for shorter games.

Problem with manually labor

• We could now add all those 23 universe IDs in each asset but if we ever would create a new testing, development place or even a new game to begin with we would need to go over all of those assets again.
  • A lot of time out errors when saving due the mass amount of ids.
    https://gyazo.com/3eb891a469942cebb494944ff0fd87c5

Layout Idea & Example
Here’s a simple example of how the sharing with groups and users could look like based on the current layout.

It doesn’t need to be perfect at first, as long we have the options already to do something like it. Because currently it is just insane, and it increases the workload very heavily on sharing sounds for different games, groups and users.

We have already waited for a year for this feature to come out fully, and as far I’m aware of still haven’t heard any news about it. (might be wrong tho)

14 Likes

NO! GET RID OF THIS ASSET AUDIO PRIVACY! I DON’T LIKE IT :rage: I HATE IT VERY MUCH!!!

7 Likes

“Audio files cannot be made public at this time. Please check back at a later date.”

We’re still waiting…

10 Likes

I hate how roblox pretends nothing gonna happen? I have been trying to upload audio for months now it cant stop getting copyrighted but if I download a another file from another website it doesn’t,

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re uploading audio files with metadata containing copyright information. Are you sure that you’re uploading audio that you own or have the rights to use?

im uploading Chinese dance machine 2007 by f-777 I even asked is it copyrighted he said no you can check YouTube he will even say its not copyright? none of my audios have metadata since im using a different operating system also I download them from new grounds? as you find your way in uploading audios to that website there’s a setting that saves saying do you want other viewers to download this music you can press no or yes? but I check other games they have the same audio

1 Like

So much for transparency from the admin team that they have yet to do a damn thing about this.

5 Likes

Who did you ask? Everything published has copyright, even if not officially registered. In the case of Chinese Dance Machine, it appears to be owned by “Snafu Records”. Even if a website allows you to download something, that doesn’t mean you have permission to use it. Just like you can’t use any random image from Google Images for commercial purposes. When uploading an asset, you need to make sure that you either own the asset or are licensed to use it. If you believe that you do have the rights to use it, you can dispute the claim here.

Also, perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you mean, but having a different operating system is irrelevant to metadata.

On the topic of checking YouTube, while that’s not traditionally how you check for copyright, you can still find it there as well:

2 Likes

It’s been 14 months…not even an update on choosing to publish new SFX (i.e. so that they can be used in public models [or models shared with friends and teammates]); we now have to share the SFX off-platform which forces the receiver to re-upload it and hope that their download didn’t come from a dangerous site, unless it was like, shared privately on social media or something.

5 Likes

i know this is an old reply, but no, they did not make any improvements to the system to identifying if its music or sfx, it sucks

3 Likes

I think the strangest thing is that the current problem is caused by this mostly being a bandaid solution to avoid lawsuits rolled out 9 months after NMPA’s $200M one against Roblox for audio copyright, but people can still legally file lawsuits against audio hosted on their website (even if it’s private), all the private stuff just makes it fly under the radar and delay any corporations from actually seeing copyrighted audio on the site. This means we traded public audios & dealt with all of these bugs/workflow issues over a year just to merely DELAY the POSSIBILITY of lawsuits, not stop them.

I believe a proper analogy would be like trying to use FlexSeal to patch up a large hole in a city’s dam.

Except the seal has been there for well over a year now. Many civilians keep coming to complain about leaks ruining productivity, some with expertise even providing proper solutions, but no officials with the authority to replace it have actually checked up on it since placement; cited “too busy repainting the architecture for the 17th time, so that new folk will arrive.”.

As an interesting note, the new folk did arrive, pockets full of silver. None of them knew of the hole in the dam, nor did the previous folk know of the 16 others before them, as many departed before figuring it out. The shiny new architecture around the city & soothing words of the officials on other matters ensured that there would be peace… Until the 18th hole is made.

Wow, Roblox is almost old enough to be an adult now! :roll_eyes:. Also, they just made $650M in the FIRST QUARTER ALONE of this year, completely dwarfing the earlier stated audio copyright lawsuit of $200M. They quite literally have enough money to face tank any and all lawsuits, but would rather do a disservice to the very people keeping them afloat. You can tell they have extra too, because they keep nonstop acquiring companies every year (Imbellus, Bash, Guilded, TriplePlay, Byfron…). Of course a business doesn’t want lawsuits, but I honestly think continuously disappointing the people who are the lifeblood of your company is even worse. WE JUST WANT SOMETHING MORE THAN RADIO SILENCE!

-Signed, a dev who has been driven mad by over a year of audio permission prompts, inevitably forced off-site audio sharing, a poor audio searching system, droves of bugs, and somehow almost every single community-created audio snippet being 1000x better than any kind of stock sound Roblox’s audio bot uploads

21 Likes