[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This Update didn’t affect me but I can’t say the same for others. At least add 20 Free Audios for people instead of 10.

2 Likes

Holy crap, I’m so glad I like moved to unity 50%. Other platforms actually are ready to handle what comes at them but roblox if faced with moderation issues just try to find a loophole by limiting the amount of bots and making their underpaid workers do the heavy lifting.

6 Likes

ATLEAST 500. Even small developers have alot of audios they need, like music, SFX and all of that…

6 Likes

I appreciate the amount of work being put into this project, but perhaps increase the audio time archive limit from 6 to 10?

Better yet, just cancel the whole update and actually fix the copyright checking system!

2 Likes

I might as well give my take on this update. I might as well start off by saying the “100,000+ professional sound effects” are actually pretty cool, even if you might have to do some looking to find a particular sound you’re looking for; There definitely seems like there’s enough to where the same sound effect wont pop up in another game. Yeah, I would still prefer to upload my own sound effects for particular, more niche sound effects, but it definitely seems like a neat tool to have around with you on the side.
However, I do still feel like the way this was handled is why people were (And still are) so heavily against it. Yes, I understand that this was most likely because of a lawsuit from the executives that were salty at the fact that kids and teenagers were uploading copyrighted music on the platform and because it made their profits dip by a microscopic amount, and it’s probably the reason why the hard date was set the way it was (Even if I still do think that Roblox still could’ve defended themselves from the lawsuit case); But that doesn’t entirely excuse the fact that this update was executed poorly and ended up getting people upset due to how things were presented.

If there’s one thing I still despise about this update is the monthly audio upload limits. It’s still seems incredibly cumbersome to try uploading hundreds, if not thousands of sound effects and music tracks while having to deal with the barrier of a 10 per month limit for people who aren’t ID verified. And while it could be as simple to say “oh, just verify yourself!”, it’s something to note that people have their own reasons for not ID verifying, anywhere from being because they can’t do so or because they don’t want to for one reason or another, most likely because they don’t trust Roblox with that kind of information. And because of that, they’re essentially stuck dealing with the 10 audios per month limit, which can seem pretty unfair to those people. And yeah, there’s that magical 2000 per month limit some people have, which I honestly feel could cause divide the smaller developers between the much larger ones. But in general, upload limits just seem bad in the long run, and even if there’s the 100,000+ pro sound effects audios, this limit could still be detrimental for people who want to make their own sound effects for games. A post made by iGottic puts it into good words.
And when it comes to audio privacy, I still feel like if people want other people to share their audio around, it be by putting said audios in their games or playing them in a boombox in-game, they should be allowed to. I think it mostly comes down to moderation and how copyrighted material is handled, people using boomboxes with their friends shouldn’t be badly affected because a bunch of bad actors kept uploading copyrighted music.
I feel like there are some ways to reduce the collateral damage this update could’ve/might still bring.

• Improve asset moderation please I’m begging you. I’m pretty sure if bypassed and copyrighted audios were properly dealt with better way before the lawsuit happened, we wouldn’t have been in this situation. I am practically begging you to improve asset moderation so that future privacy updates for assets don’t end up being as harsh, at that players aren’t as badly affected by these updates caused partially due to bad actors.
  • Let people that use audios uploaded by other people can still work in other games (Either as a in-game sound effect or if they’re played on a boombox) if they aren’t privated. Again, if Roblox were to improve moderation for audios and other assets, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with keeping the concept of boomboxes and other music playing gamepasses alive in some way.
  • Be more transparent when it comes to these kinds of critical updates in the future and execute them better. Updates like this aren’t like the removal of tix where it isn’t as much of a big deal long term. Please try to organize them better rather than rushing them out.

I will say, while I still have other opinions about this subject (Like how Roblox could still purchase a handful of music licenses to songs made by music artists and bands), and that I still really don’t like this update, I’m at least partially happy that they responded to the criticism rather than being dead silent on the matter; But I still feel like this update needs some heavy improvement.

Edited it to make it slightly easier to read.

11 Likes

Asset privacy is not the solution to fixing copyright issues which, to my eyes, barely happen on roblox nowadays.

10 Likes

Agreed whole heartedly. I agree that it is good they responded but that is not because of us it was because of the billion dollar lawsuits coming at them left and right.

2 Likes

This is still not good enough, it’s amazing that you listened but I am worried about older games that do not get updated having their music removed, this is a huge problem and will ruin many many many games still.

7 Likes

I am really really worried for this update, it no doubt will cause a lot of havoc when it releases. I still have hope that roblox will do something about this, I honestly don’t understand why some people are happy about this update.

2 Likes

Just because we took copyrighted music from the toolbox doesn’t mean our games should be punished. I agree

4 Likes

The sound effects are the only good part of the update the rest is trash the sound effects are nice and long which allows for some realistic sounds but other then that this update is still completly trash.

1 Like

Well… actually maybe im wrong but I don’t know that’s how I feel

I guess that makes things a little less worse
thanks for responding?

1 Like

It affecting music is still a huge problem, I don’t know why people have just suddenly changed sides and are now worshiping Roblox. Sure it’s better, but it’s not good enough. lots of games use music, and a ton of them will NOT be updated and just be left silent.

8 Likes

I can’t get past this question whether I put a number in or not.

3 Likes

Thank you for the follow up! Even though I was pro change, it’s great to see Roblox listening to the community!

Hey, I don’t want to come off as rude, but it’s incredibly unprofessional and inconsiderate to wait this long to announce such a drastic change, which is devastating for a large portion of your community, with such little time to adapt.

Apart from that, I find it incredibly odd Roblox decided this was the best decision. Imagine all the unmaintained games which are still generating revenue for Roblox, that’ll be hurt by this change. There seem to be numerous alternative solutions to this issue, which would’ve benefited everyone, including Roblox, but this one was chosen.

Additionally, I find it odd that the real reason this change is happening was never mentioned, even in the original post. Roblox was sued by the major Music Publishers over a year ago and it seems this was the outcome. When I read the first post on the Audio Changes, I thought Roblox was doing this as a sorta Privacy Initiative to help creators, but that’s not the actual reason this is happening…

Lastly, this update actually doesn’t negatively impact me at all. I’m actually happy about a few of the different changes like: Free Uploads, Free Professional Sounds, and more. This update certainly benefits me entirely with no negatives, but I really wanted to voice my opinion after seeing a lot of others’ feedback. Roblox really handled this situation poorly…

17 Likes

Did you even read the post? It’s saying there’s a permission system coming so you as the owner (or someone with edit permissions) of an audio can grant permission for experiences to use your audio. If you did read the post, how is that a bad thing?

1 Like

Personally I don’t want to say it but it feels slightly true that roblox is just based on copyrighted everything. Many games on the front page have direct copyright issues. I could list for ages HUGE games that have made TONS of money that are 1000% based on some other game on steam or some other app on the app store. If roblox took away all of these it might just be a old blocky game with only a few good games but a lot of hype would die off.

7 Likes