[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Well, I suppose it’s an improvement to a still terrible situation that they’re actively seeking out longer sound effects to keep available, plus the group stuff. Still was hoping Roblox would push back against the music industry though, I’d assume they have enough money for that and it’d be a net positive for a huge chunk of the internet. Oh well.

3 Likes

Many existing audio longer than 6 seconds that aren’t made by Roblox or don’t belong to the creator of the game will stop working on Tuesday, which unfortunately means no more boomboxes. Worse, audio uploaders will not be able to make them public again for the foreseeable future, and can only grant permissions to specific experiences. Roblox is attempting to provide exemptions for long sound effects however they may or may not do so on time. Roblox has also attempted to roll out a variety of their own sound effects although a couple were controversial.

6 Likes

Yeah that makes no sense, to give you more relevant results we’ve remove a few sorting options? What? How does removing something help me drill down into what I want? We need favorites, likes, upload date, length, title only, exact match(for multiple words), anything will HELP get to relevant results. Not a magic ‘it will give you the best results automatically’ search. Oof!

You can get audio length filter in Studio, nothing but userid filter on the web page search.

10 Likes

What about piano sounds that are privated? I’m currently working on Roblox’s Got Talent (Roblox Talent Show) and we still have piano sounds that are not able to be downloaded and re-uploaded.

2 Likes

I still don’t fully understand the way the audio privacy system works. If I wanted to grant permission for an experience to use my audio asset, does the audio uploader’s account need to have edit permission on the experience? or can it just be any experience you enter into the field?

1 Like

i have the exact same situation. i’m not sure if this is a bug or not with the new feature.

1 Like

When you upload audio it doesn’t give a prompt to allow you to prove you have licensed that music in the first place, so how do you even prove it?

1 Like

I’m guessing those who got far higher are those who devexxed in the past? I am not too sure tho

1 Like

Everyone has their own specific reasons for not verifying for one reason or another, and during a time where big corporations seem to not care at all about privacy for the sake of profits, it’s not hard to imagine people would be paranoid to straight up give Roblox, or Veriff in this case, their IDs. Who’s the say that Roblox or Veriff would just start doing shady stuff on their end in the background? You can’t seem to be too careful with it comes to big tech companies and privacy. And even if Veriff is safe, what about the people that just… Don’t want to verify? The entire thing with ID verification and the audio per month limits just seems really unfair between the people that did verify and the people that didn’t.

Again, with a limit of 10 audios per month for unverified people, it would undoubtedly make things harder for smaller developers who want to make their own sound effects for their games, so losing motivation to develop games on the platform because of that issue is, at least, partially expected.

5 Likes

On the subject of Upload Limits:

I still don’t feel people are talking enough about this.

It’s confusing to me why you didn’t maintain fees if you were going to set the default upload limit to such an abysmal cap. 10 audio files a week? Maybe. A month? No way. Some people need to re-upload their audio files multiple times to make sure they fit in correctly with the style of their games.

Concerning my morals and opinions: I would rather have an option to pay fees for surpassing these set limits, than having no other choice but to give personal information about my identity, location, and history to a third party just to be able to work diligently. Those are high stakes that have little/no relation to a developer’s drive to build their game. This change does a lot more harm than good.

14 Likes

Please… Help… I’m about to hit a wall in my development

6 Likes

The person editing the audio permissions has to have edit access to the game. Let’s say you have 2 people in a group, and that audio file is uploaded to the group. Person A has edit access to the game and Person B does not have edit access to the game. Person A can grant that audio access to the game, but Person B cannot grant access to the game.

2 Likes

Hello there, my name is Panzer and I am a Composer and Sound Designer. This update has had me conflicted in too many ways to count. I strongly feel that this update was not thought of enough and neither do I think ANY developers were consulted in the making of this absolutely crucial crux/blockade for development.

Firstly, I have DevExed multiple times now and I only have access to 10 sounds … which is absolutely unacceptable. I have multiple titles I am currently working on which are on tight deadlines that need sounds in the game. With this low upload amount, I won’t be able to upload the requested sounds to my game and to the client’s games.

Secondly, while this update may bring some negative additions, I think the change of making sounds free to upload has opened up many many doors for creativity, HOWEVER, with the abysmal upload amount, I can not feasibly see myself being able to upload my work in a short amount of time. The fact that even when uploading the same file on accident also steals your upload?? Even though it was denied, it still will use the upload.

Among many other things, has put a massive chokehold on my ability to create on the platform. It is a massive disappointment how members who have even DevEx’d don’t get a bonus. I don’t like giving my personal information out to most if any companies and I do not want to give my personal info to Roblox. I already have given enough through the W2 with DevEx.

In conclusion, this change needs serious discussion and testing WITH active developers to bring the number of uploads up for everyone collectively as well as give the DevEx members and members who have given their personal information some credit for their bravery.

My personal recommendation would be as such:

An account with a previous record of holding over 10k Robux (Could possibly be a new developer): 50-75 U
An account who has provided personal information or has active participation in development: 250-1000 U
An account that has DevEx’d once or more times: 1000 U - 2500 U

This update has brought many problems that absolutely need to be addressed. Thank you for reading.

• Panzerv1
16 Likes

Why not a limit of 2K audios per month for all like how some people were getting randomly? 98% of complains relating to this update is the upload limit, you’d see a lot of them go down if implemented. People would eventually get over the other problems, the audios per month limit is the roadblock.

5 Likes

The response following this change being rolled out will be absolutely gargantuan and highly negative. The handling of this change has been far, far less than stellar. While I appreciate the effort, the changes presented in this post to the audio privacy update don’t really do anything to soften the blow as a whole.

The addition of thousands of professional sound effects is highly appreciated though I very much wish they weren’t so obnoxiously large in number, as there are now pages upon pages of almost identical sound effects flooding the library and make it hard to find actual player audios. The fact that I often wish that I could filter out both these and the stock music automatically uploaded to the library as spam is not desirable. The whitelisting of sound effect assets manually initially sounds amazing, however it only seems to include public sound effects (a large majority of the sound effects I use in older games were private from before they were hidden from the library) and is done by hand. I am very, very thankful for the effort of the team responsible for whitelisting sound effects by hand but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to make a dent in the millions of audios on the library alone, however I may be proven wrong.

I do not understand why this change is necessary in any capacity even with a lawsuit coming to light. There is such a ridiculous myriad of other ways to go about something like this instead of partially muting almost every game on the entire platform and forcing developers to compensate for it by individually going through every single game they’ve ever made and individually fixing all impacted audios by hand.

As someone who’s really passionate about sound design in games, this update is an absolute disaster. Genuinely do not understand why they couldn’t go about this differently. It’s ridiculous. Why not only apply these changes to newly uploaded audios? You’d have a fixed amount of available audio to weed out unlicensed and problematic songs from, solving the issue of copyright litigation and at the same time not obliterating the entire catalog and awkwardly muting half the games on the entire platform. Why not put in place a DMCA takedown system similar to that of YouTube? Theirs has worked amazingly over the years despite its flaws, and there’s so many ways that it could work just as well in this case. Why not just work to improve the copyright detection system already in place? I don’t get it.

9 Likes

I cannot believe I’m going to wake up in a day and a half and this update is still being pushed despite everything.

There’s still so many flaws to this botched update and yet very little of them seem to be addressed. There were about 8 cons I listed in my massive post in the previous thread, and only a couple of them have been properly addressed.

I hate to be this kind of person, but I expect almost no good to come from this.

7 Likes

They kinda have to… Well… “Have to”
While this is likely because of legal reasons, the execution of the update was absolutely awful, some of which they didn’t even need to add to an already controversial update. Were they required to add in the monthly audio limits? No, they likely weren’t, but they added it anyways. While the concept of better asset privacy is nice and all, the update is still littered with unnecessary additions and complications that we never really asked for in the first place.

2 Likes

Cant u still do that with robux. Might be some premium benefits could be helpful

Like the private system message we/I received, I would like to have audios like this restored :|.

There’s so many more I would want restored? But I would be flooding if I posted a screenshot of every single audio and it’s not like I can find every single one that was affected.

5 Likes

nope, atleast I think not because I have 2000 uploads per month without ever doing dev ex.
I made a post about it here

1 Like