Update on Paid Random Items Restriction for UK Users Under 18

Hi Creators,

We would like to share some important updates designed to help keep your experiences compliant with regional regulations, specifically for our UK users under the age of 18.

Context on Existing Features

We currently provide PolicyService APIs and Experience Guidelines to help creators stay compliant for Roblox users globally:

• PolicyService APIs: This easy-to-use tool enables creators to ensure that their in-experience content complies with specific regional policies. To comply with Roblox Community Standards, creators must use the applicable PolicyService API to ensure that paid random items are accessible only to eligible users.

• Experience Guidelines: Creators can generate Guidelines by declaring the types of content their experiences contain. This information is then used to inform users about the content and determine their access based on their account information, such as regional compliance requirements.

What’s New?

To ensure compliance with regulations concerning experiences that contain paid random items, these updates will make such content unavailable to UK users under the age of 18.

Effective August 13:

Keep UK Audience & Stay Compliant

To keep your experiences available to UK users under the age of 18 while staying compliant, we strongly encourage you to:

Important Reminder

• While generating Experience Guidelines is optional, using existing PolicyService APIs is crucial to ensure compliance for Roblox users globally.

• Although no immediate action is required if you are already properly using the API, staying proactive will help you avoid content moderation and compliance actions.

Thank you for your cooperation and for continuing to create amazing experiences for your global audience!

73 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I get that this was legally required to be added, but unless the majority of the playerbase of your game is in the U.K., then your game would die [I know lying about age exists] since the U.K. is one of the highest european playerbases [alongside TĂźrkiye and Russia] and a small amount of roblox players are 18+

also I have a question, By “under the age of 18”, do you use the roblox account birthday or ID verification?

11 Likes

RARE ENGLAND W!!!

i have no other comments on this because i support this fully.

47 Likes

My game does not have paid random items, do I need to update my Questionnaire?

12 Likes

The paid random items link says a couple things that I have questions about.

1. Do the paid random items also include items purchased using currency that cannot be obtained through robux or subscriptions?
  2. It states that any time random items are involved, all chances must be clearly displayed. Are there any plans to actually enforce this rule? There are a lot of games on this site that like to either just not display any chances or do things like “??? - Secret” instead of showing the chance of ‘secret’ items. The rule on showing chances is good and I really wish it were strictly enforced.
7 Likes

What about Scotland and Wales?

9 Likes

:joy::joy::index_pointing_at_the_viewer: YOU @Awesomepad

Good luck on not fulfilling your gambling satisfaction, brits.

7 Likes

I would assume since it states paid that it would mean “with purchase” but I’m just curious if this also would have to be added for currencies that can be obtained with Robux or subscription but also via playing the game.

5 Likes

, but unless the majority of the playerbase of your game is in the U.K., then your game would die

Then add something else other than literal gambling

28 Likes

As a Brit I love and appreciate this change, as a greedy capitalist who loves money NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9 Likes

UK is turning more authoritarian with the new government, good job. Time to move to the US when i’m over 18.

13 Likes

I’m going to live in the UK because of their great initiative to stop underage gambling.
Good job to the United Kingdom for adding this restriction. Now I’m waiting for the states.

12 Likes

I can agree to this since my country bans gambling in any way.

but greedy developers definitely won’t do this [since gambling is like a way to make some robux]

6 Likes

I’m moving to the United Kingdom. This new government is pretty good.

8 Likes

Moving to the UK right away! Loving this new government.

8 Likes

By definition, that is not a paid random item. Yes, you pay with an in-game currency, but paid random items are only paid if you pay for them with actual money. Time/skill are not considered, so as long as the currency requires gameplay, daily logins, friend referrals, or literally anything that is not payment, you are good.

Maybe tell the regulators in regions that require this to take action. I don’t know Roblox to be the ones to enforce this, especially when Roblox has a strong financial incentive to keep it. Remember that 70%-85% cut they get? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Why is this anything to do with the new government? Old one started this work anyways…

This will impact reach but I think this is a great update. Lootboxes are effectively gambling and should be treated in the same way. Does mean I’m not going to be able to access some experiences now though.

7 Likes

I don’t know if that’s true, roblox says for “ArePaidRandomItemsRestricted”:
When true, the player cannot interact with paid (via in-experience currency or Robux) random item generators.
in-experience currency or Robux, which implies that even if the currency is obtained without buying it, it is still not allowed.

4 Likes

The wording at least used to mean in-experience currency purchased with Robux. The fact is that in-experience currency not purchasable with Robux is very rare these days. The wording mainly exists so people don’t think in-experience currencies bypass any Robux-based rules.

3 Likes