Update to Roblox Licensing Program & Brand Guidelines

“Roblox! Where else are you gonna go?”

Please do not freak out.

Ima try to explain all of this in a nutshell.

1: You dont have to use these “badges” for YouTube thumbnails. If you look closely it says only for commercial purposes, if your not advertising anything, then it doesnt matter. Besides its not even mandatory because it’s recommended.

2: The stars program going away is sad, goodbye toys. Its not the video stars program, by the way.

3: You can still usr r6/r15 for your thumbnails if its not advertising. It’s literally states once again, commercial purposes.

4: So we know you cant use game titles like ro-something, roblox or blox-something, etc. But this only started yesterday, which means all past games will not be taken action apon.

I hope this explained whats going on here. I know this update sucks, but its not the end of the world if you read it all correctly.

Roblox is trying to push rthro, and its not pretty but we will have to deal with it as the roblox developer community, as roblox is trying to gain more players, more profit, etc.

7 Likes

If you are monetizing on YouTube that may count as commercially.

Roblox isnt going to seriously cancel roblox youtube like that. Its just for actual advertising in video, like there games or clothing they have made in roblox. if they do then yea this update sucks and roblox is being dumb

Commercially is when you make any money from your creation, so monetizing on YouTube would likely count.

1 Like

So then that would be the end of roblox youtube, and roblox would announce the video stars program gone. This cant be the case and they just need to clarify more

1 Like

I wish Roblox could understand that their r6 and r15 classic avatars make Roblox unique and stand out from the competition. Over-promoting rthro makes Roblox look insanely bland and like another boring “metaverse” platform. They need to understand that being unique and standing out is what will bring in more players, not uncanny rthro packages that look like cheap attempts at “realism”. I’m not saying old Roblox is good, I’m saying is that classic Roblox is what makes them unique and appealing to players.

This is all my opinion, so take everything with a grain of salt.

also, rip star program, you shall be missed, I guess.

4 Likes

So as far as I understand, for some reason, Roblox is copyrighting images of R6 and R15 avatars so that YouTubers are forced to have Rthro in their thumbnails? That will make Roblox very bland like @Lucarkirb said.

Im in shock that Roblox is going too far with this, by copyrighting R6 and R15, but not Rthro so that people are forced to use Rthro, otherwise Roblox will sue them…

Edit: I scrolled through this thread a little bit and saw that no one was using Rthro… That is how much people don’t really like Rtrho…

Added question: Does the Blox rule also apply to usernames? I have the word Blox but with a 1 in my username.

5 Likes

I think more accurately Roblox needs to embrace everything that it is, instead of trying to wipe out everything that doesn’t suit its vision. Players like what Roblox is now, and eradicating an entire segment of Roblox’s identity will alienate the existing userbase. Whether or not it will bring in new players is unclear to us.

7 Likes

Wow so I wonder experiences who have like “Blox” would have to change their name like “Welcome to Bloxburg” I wonder if they have to change their name.

2 Likes

Bloxburg is exempt from this rule as their game was created before June 22, 2022, just like how I am exempt as well as my game was created in 2020.

2 Likes

Oh ok I get it now thank you so much!

3 Likes

This is honestly the worst update along with the audio privacy update. First you removed audio, then you removed Blocky characters, along with the word Roblox and Blox. What a shame

5 Likes

Yeah I kinda did agree like why would they make such an update like this like you can’t have “Blox” in Your name I really don’t get it honestly.

1 Like

There really wasn’t any other engine where community-made games had the touch of using the hosting company’s name. Rest in piece, (future games)

5 Likes

As I understand, we can’t contain in our game names anything that can be fond in “Roblox” word. But does that mean that I can’t use “Block”, for example for game which created from blocks only, like minecraft?

1 Like

No that should be ok. :+1: Its just ro, blox, and roblox.

No! It said starting on the update day, not past games. So blox fruits etc is ok.

2 Likes

It is seen that there is some misinformation and confusion in this post, probably because certain situations are not specified but I leave here a little of what I understand according to the pdf that Roblox provided us, mainly I focus on the use of avatars :hidere:

There are certain key words that help to understand what it means, however… this is what I understand it to mean, so “take it with a grain of salt”

2 Likes

Re-read the in-depth part. It says that if you heavily customize the “Classic R15” to the point it doesn’t “Look like the Classic R15” then you can use it. Still it is a pretty crappy update.

1 Like