Updates and Changes to the UGC Catalog Application

I tested and it just destroyed the whole quality and added some lines around the color, I guess it depends on the model you’re making

5 Likes

That shouldn’t be happening unless there is empty spaces around the texture map (which you should never leave). If you only textured the UV islands, my advice would be to fill up the map and leave no empty spaces whatsoever. The empty spaces are bleeding into the islands because reducing file size readjusts the pixels which does not always line them up as they were before.

4 Likes

I was under the impression that the model’s limit was 1.2K vertices. This is such great news and gives so much more creative leeway!

Edit:
I found a source (via @IcyMonstrosity , a UGC Creator) confirming what @GIAENHA mentioned earlier in case anyone is interested

7 Likes

I wonder if ill get accepted this month or declined

2 Likes

I did some playing around with r6 compression and usually Hat accessories are affected while the other types aren’t. Texturing in 256 is just a preference for me since I manage to optimize my UV map so there’s little to none free space. Again it’s just a preference but I encourage all modelers I meet to use it.

1 Like

In my post above I explained that is the case, r6 compression affects hat accessories the most for some reason. It could also be your substance painter settings. You should set the padding to UV instead of 3D Space Neighbor.

4 Likes

In the application it says the max file size for the creation process is 50MB.

4 Likes

Ohh I mostly use Krita to draw hair strands so that’s why my quality is lower and a huge difference in 256 but for substance painter when I make a hat or bag I’ll try that next time, thanks!

3 Likes

No problem! For your hair I’d recommend using 1024 since you need detail. 256 is great to make r6 compression have minimal effect but if you need good detail then you must uv map the hair efficiently (which even then detail is limited still) or just use 1024.

3 Likes

I really want to get substance painter but I don’t have enough money. Does anybody know of any good alternatives?

3 Likes

Just sumbited my application :3

4 Likes

Im not working on substance painer ever, but for 3d modeling:

Blender
Cinema 4D (not free)
Zbrush

(i know only this programs)
Goodluck <3

4 Likes

if you are a student you can get it for free

2 Likes

Well, I have never used substance painter, I just make textures in Gimp then use blender to apply them. I just make different sections on a texture map, then apply it on specific faces. It’s imperfect, but functional.

2 Likes

I am sending this message to inquire about the status of my UGC application that I submitted approximately 1 year ago. As I put a great deal of effort into this submission, I would appreciate any information regarding its progress or if it has been received and reviewed.

I have yet to receive any notification or feedback in regards to the application and would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with an update on its status.

Thank you for your time and attention to reading this message. I look forward to receiving a response and appreciate your assistance in addressing this issue.

Best regards,
Darkness21234

11 Likes

Same, I have been waiting since September 2022 :skull:

6 Likes

1 year?! Maybe resubmit the application? Good luck!

4 Likes

Honestly, I like the application’s questions, but the fact that the user to be a part of the UGC Programme that one needs to own a Portfolio is incredibly problematic, as for example to users who want to start fresh and want to learn modeling with the feature of making UGC items. Obviously, I’ve heard that the UGC creations might be allowed to all users soon, that’d be nice but also moderation-wise incredibly bad.

Also, would it be possible to inform me through email most likely about applying to the application as it makes me worried that I did not do the application right if I didn’t get a single word that I have successfully applied to the program…

I have not long ago applied to the application and I am left confused if I actually got applied to the application or not.

10 Likes

I mean… You’re kinda applying for a job, a portfolio is a good way to show what you’re capable of doing and what you can bring to the platform.
It wouldn’t make sense to accept someone without a portfolio or a beginner that doesn’t know how to texture, basic modeling knowledge etc…

3 Likes

You might’ve applied through the old link they had open in another thread. This link has only been open for 8 months. I suggest reapplying.

2 Likes