Updates to Item Holding Periods [Marketplace]

Now people can’t even profit, who cares if some beamer took their 30k limited, at least they learned, and can earn they’re way back up, but now they can’t even do that. Roblox is worse than beamers, instead of wiping out the beamers they wipe out innocent people who just want to trade.

4 Likes

if you’d understand its not only trading thats being ruined

2 Likes

Its a holding period. It gives people a chance to double check if they made trades that they think are acceptable and to make sure their trades are fair and for items that they actually want. The holding period for trading should be higher than 2 days but that’s my opinion.

3 Likes

god forbid people have hobbies

17 Likes

You are in for a rude awakening if you think a holding period is going to save you or anyone from a compromise. If you were actively engaged in the trading scene you would know how incredibly slow support is on handling account restores, and in some cases, they may decide to just not grant you one. I’ve seen first hand several people who were genuinely compromised due to Roblox’s flimsy security and denied an account restore.

A holding period is not the solution.

21 Likes

I’m not fully sure if you understand the general impact of this in the trading community, as you also were one of the few in favour of another controversial marketplace feature a few months ago: Marketplace: Our Vision and Guiding Principles - #45 by chesse20 . Correct me if I’m wrong though.

There is absolutely no reason to add a holding period for a virtual stock market for over 7+ days. While I understand the concern for your account security if course, would a feature like implementing 2fa when trading / reselling items not suffice?

This is not what a holding period is. Once you make a trade you are unable to reverse it. A holding period stops items from being traded for a certain period of time. You are unable to use your holding period to dispute a trade, unless it was made by a bad actor controlling your account. Asking for a higher holding period when you don’t trade yourself feels foolish.

A lot of these requests feel unrealistic and as you don’t come from a trading background I understand if you are seeing the security side of this more as opposed to the longevity of the trading features and community as a whole. But this is a lot of peoples hobbies and passions, and Roblox are changing features that hinder a lot of this traction, something I feel like users familiar or knowledgeable about the trading community would relate with more. Campaigning for changes that go against the very large majority would just be an incentive for Roblox to keep these controversial changes, when we can campaign for a better and even playing field where all users are happy.

20 Likes

Considering the black market and compromising accounts for Limiteds has been around for almost a decade at this point I’m sorely disappointed Roblox didn’t come up with a more thoughtful solution, or a way to detect accounts that have gained/lost a large percent of value in a few trades, put those items in a temporary holding state, and send them to a moderator for review.

I don’t think this update is catastrophic for trading but I think it’s very bad and unnecessary to apply this to all users. Please go back to the drawing board. You’ve had all the time in the world and this feels like a first draft for a decision rather than an actual one.

The silver lining I guess is making UGC Limiteds more easily profitable by quartering the holding time. However, since UGC Limiteds are still taxed at 50% and untradable, they’re still a bit of a dud in terms of post-release investment.

I hope this does what Roblox hopes for at the very least, but I’m very pessimistic that people that make thousands of dollars buying and selling Roblox items won’t just find a way around this somehow.

Edit: I want to take a moment to address this:

Despite the Robux from it being nondevexable (so far!), it’s not entirely useless. Non-devex robux can be used to advertise games, pay workers, and purchase other developers’/creators’ work to support them. Trading allowed me to get a substantial budget for development for comparatively cheaper than buying Robux.

16 Likes

No, this will not prevent players from getting their items stolen. All it does is extend the time the beamer has to wait before he can send your items to the darkest pits of hell.

Garbage update.

6 Likes

I did explain it regarding the pace that trading offers, any momentum is completely killed now

6 Likes

i wrote a post about this because this is becoming a common trend with the marketplace team

Releasing sudden features that no one likes has been a common trend this year and it isnt good or having any sort of positivity on the roblox platform have they lost there minds this year or something ?,

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/the-roblox-marketplace-team-have-lost-there-minds/2469747

4 Likes

I’ve not even seen a single person myself mention that they warrant a holding period for all limiteds found on the catalog, you’re boldly claiming for there to be any community input.

The upcoming changes are so unbelievably misguided to the point where trading becomes both discouraging and irritating, just because people are willing to make profit and they cannot if they’re being restricted for 2-7 days straight.

I know this is making an attempt at trying to combat the potential compromisations happening around the trading scene, which, it clearly doesn’t, but take into account that this’ll come with the expense of people quitting to trade altogether.

Merely wanted to state my opinion on this to prevent these upcoming changes from being enforced. Expect your internal data to take a major turn.

8 Likes

Roblox instead of making updates that no one wants fix toolbox. My old account got perma banned bc i used virused toolbox model.

5 Likes

Kill your platform more roblox.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/the-downfall-of-roblox-in-management-and-development/2468805

2 Likes

censorship my man, it reflects moderators’ lack of confidence in their own platform.

5 Likes

I know what you mean man, sad times lol

3 Likes

“Who cares if they lost their limited”… obviously the person irresponsible enough to lose said limited.

It’s not that deep. People can still profit easily. Don’t forget that higher items = higher profit margins.
“Roblox is worse than beamers”… that’s absurd.

People are making a big deal out of this, and they won’t even care in a couple of weeks. People just generally don’t like change.

4 Likes

tell me how are you going to profit easily if you have to wait 2 days when your item is dropping :joy:

7 Likes

I mean just dont gamble. That easy B)

4 Likes

it is the best way to get the items you really like, atleast for me. I just wanted to start trading and then roblox does this :skull_and_crossbones:

4 Likes

Mate, some items (especially event items) can lose thousands of :robux_gold: in just two days

Imagine trying to trade something like this now :skull:

Item in concern: Orange Ninja Headband of All Earth's Fire | Roblox Limited Item - Rolimon's

5 Likes