Updates to the Roblox Terms of Use [November 2024]

Hi everyone,

On October 2, we will update our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

The changes are to support new products that foster safety, engagement, and growth on the platform. Similar to our recent Terms of Use announcement, our goal is to provide transparency about the updates we’ve made and what it means for you.

Here is a high-level summary of the updates; please take some time to review and familiarize yourself with them.

The following will go into effect on November 6, 2024:

Terms of Use

User Terms

• Added Roblox commerce terms to enable eligible creators to sell physical merchandise within their experiences and as we integrate with various e-commerce platforms such as Shopify. These terms will give users the ability to purchase goods and services to be used outside of Roblox (e.g., clothing, movie tickets) and transact in real currency and processed through third party retailer websites and e-commerce platforms on the Roblox platform.

• We have expanded the definition of “Earned Robux” to include Robux awarded by Roblox in certain promotional campaigns and added examples of what is considered earned Robux such as creator affiliate sales fees.

• Clarified the definition of “Earned Robux” to exclude Robux acquired from passes sold for template experiences with no legitimate user visits.

• Added terms clarifying our existing practices that tax may be added to Robux and subscriptions purchases

Appendix C

• Added a clarification regarding EU Users’ ability to engage certified out-of-court dispute settlement bodies in accordance with Article 21 of the Digital Services Act.

• Changed other portions of the Roblox Terms to align with these changes.

Privacy Policy

Added information about how we will enable account recovery when the age on the account is adjusted to 12 or younger.

• We added that if you have a 13+ account and change your birthday to indicate you are under age 13, Roblox will save a hash of your email address and delete any email addresses previously collected from you immediately afterwards. This hash cannot be reconstructed back into your email address or used to contact you, and will only be used to authenticate you in the future.

Updated language pertaining to the information we collect and share for safety and security purposes.

• We clarified that we will collect information about your behavior when you interact with your device for security and safety purposes

Added information about the data that is processed when users elect to receive personalized ads on Roblox.

• We added “Characteristics or demographics” to the list of data categories disclosed for advertising purposes."

Added information about data processing relating to Roblox commerce.

• We added that if you directly interact with a commerce provider to purchase a commerce product(s) on Roblox, Roblox and the commerce provider may need to exchange information about your purchase in order to fulfill the transaction.

Please review the updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. As a reminder, if you are a minor, your parent/guardian will need to agree to the updated Terms of Use for you to continue using Roblox.

We value your input and partnership as we strive to maintain a safe and secure platform.

Thank you.

FAQ

How can I update my personal data on Roblox today?

• If you want to exercise rights over your data, such as accessing or deleting your personal information, please reach out to Support.

What type of “characteristics or demographics” will be disclosed for advertising purposes?

• We will be including age.

How do I manage my ad preferences on Roblox?

• You can find your Ads Preferences on the Privacy settings page and you can update your preferences at any time. These settings allow you to customize your ad experience on Roblox by managing ads personalization and the information we share with third parties. You can learn more here.

When it comes to “Earned Robux,” what about Robux I receive for services I provided?

• Creators who earn from services contributing to the creation of UGC or the direct sale of monetization of UGC that they create should not be affected by this change.

Will there be any other changes to the DevEx process for “Earned Robux”?

• This is a clarification to how DevEx eligible earnings are calculated. We will continue to review a Creator’s eligibility for a DevEx payout to comply with our policies and applicable laws. We may ask you to provide us with screenshots, images or links to show the UGC you created or your contribution to the creation of UGC to receive those payments

For what is excluded as “Earned Robux,” what do you mean by a template experience and a legitimate user visit?

• Generally speaking, template experiences include (but are not limited to), experiences that are just minimal changes to Roblox’s Studio Templates. A legitimate user visit refers to engagement that is not from bots or the account(s) that created the experience.

If you received payments through passes in connection with your contribution to creation of UGC and you think that your DevEx request has been incorrectly denied, you are able to appeal using our appeals form.

What if I regularly use passes for payments for services performed?

• Payments for contributions to UGC creations should not be made through passes. You should be using group payouts for group projects.

As a reminder, UGC stands for “User Generated Content. UGC is content of any kind or nature, whether material, assets, or otherwise, that Users (including Creators) upload to, create and publish on, or otherwise generate through or make available on Roblox. See here for the full definition.

44 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 minutes.

In that case, please remove the 2 week wait limit! UGC creators needing to wait 2 weeks for payment, than up to another 2 weeks for DevEx processing is absurd.

29 Likes

No, I can’t. For some reason this option never came up on my account, which is +13 and even ID verified, so I just can’t “customize my ad experience” and what Roblox will share about me to advertisers.

Although I personally wouldn’t think of changing these options, I think this is definitely a problem.

(Even the option to permanently delete my account didn’t show up, which I also won’t use but seems wrong to not have it)

8 Likes

This is big for third party ecommerce platforms, but does this include the asset purchasing goods with Robux on platform and off platform something like the most popular examples of this are itch.io and Parcel? I would love to see a change in this to be more upfront about this.

Thanks for the amazing terms of use updates! :heart:

2 Likes

This means Roblox will be able to monitor our activities on our devices even if we are not using Roblox??

6 Likes

Honestly I agree. Please remove the 2 week waiting period in certain circumstances, such as:

• group owner hasn’t been changed for 3 months
  • group name hasn’t been changed for 3 months
  • user receiving funds and the group holder are friends
  • group owner & receiver both have 2fa & email verification

or just remove it compeltely!
We already have to put our 2fa code when paying our developers, so there’s no need for the waiting period.

11 Likes

This is one of the best feature!!
Will stop scammers/hackers from stealing Roblox accounts and so much more!!

1 Like

It’s ridiculous to act as if the only legit form of freelance payment is group payouts. There’s a lot of creators who released experiences and avatar items under their own personal account. Right now, you need to pay 30,000 R$ to transfer one experience to a group, and there isn’t even an option if your revenue comes from avatar items under your account. You can’t even upload avatar bundles to groups yet!

15 Likes

This is actually something I’ve wondered about! I’m glad that it’s been elaborated upon.

However, I wish this had been elaborated upon. What “behavior”?

2 Likes

This is flawed, if the group does not have the necessary funds, there’s no way to deposit Robux into the group from an user account or even other groups.
The only way to fund a group balance is through the purchase of a gamepass.
Having to fund the group rather than just buying a gamepass outright to the user, adds an additional up to 1 week of wait for the pending Robux to be processed and available to pay the user, and if the user were not already in the group, we need to wait 2 weeks for them to be eligible to receive payout. Depending on the circumstances this adds up to 3 weeks of additional wait before the user sees the payment, as well an inevitable 30% tax cut because the funding, or payment happens through a gamepass.

There’s legit reasons for why you may use an alternative group for payout on a different project. Perhaps the active group with your funds is part of an official business or company. And your other project/group is a different company or personal project. Where the accounting/logs is managed separately, so paying unrelated users for unrelated business is not ideal.

12 Likes
  • We clarified that we will collect information about your behavior when you interact with your device for security and safety purposes

roblox please provide more details on this because it sounds like you are spying on users devices. what does this mean? are you monitoring users only while roblox is active or at all times?
what are you collecting? are you collecting processes in memory or are you looking through data stored on someone’s device?

6 Likes

I agree, we need to pay artists somehow, and they’re not going to wait 2 weeks in a group for us to be able to.

2 Likes

This seems like a great update since you will be finnaly able to recover your account easier when a hacker changed your birthday to under 13

1 Like

If you are going to enforce this, we need a way to pay creators accordingly. We have a tax on the Robux we earn, and a tax if we don’t have the game under a group and want to add funds to it, and then we have to wait 2 weeks to do a payout and 2 weeks to devex. See a problem here?

Either give us a way to directly pay creators from our personal funds or to add funds to a group without needing to buy a pass. Because this is absurd

8 Likes

With how hard Roblox is pushing for companies to grow on Roblox, why are companies still not allowed to link to their own websites? Roblox claims it’s for user safety when everyone knows its for anti competitive reasons. Roblox wants to try push merch so developers can sell the IP they make themselves, but only if a couple multi billion dollar companies get their cut first so developers can get the last few dollars left over…

It’s good Roblox is expanding into physical merch, don’t force developers to use Shopify. We should be able to use whatever supplier we want and sell at whatever price we want. If a developer wants to go the easy route and do it thru Roblox and Shopify so you can take 80%, let them but don’t make that the only option. Give developers a way to earn without leeching most of the money players spend.

6 Likes

Okay, continue? Not worth tip toeing on this. Every one of the data points collected should be listed here. Only specifying how said data will include ages is insanely shady.

1 Like

I love government espionage!!! More of it please! Make sure roblox next time is entirely baked into our OSes kernels please! OOO maybe start forcing roblox users to ID verify in order to use the platform at all!!!

3 Likes

This was most likely done to prevent people from DevEx-ing Robux acquired from selling passes in games like “pls donate”, though there are other legitimate reasons why people might want to use passes.

3 Likes

Try disabling your extensions: looks like they might be messing with the page.