Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

after turning off 2022materials, my terrain colors are brighter

1 Like

Roblox don’t seem to include any ‘special materials’ in the material manager, for example forcefield, glass, water, and neon all can’t be edited.

1 Like

Could you please make an option that bring back old Material Manager? The new one is so hard to understand and slow down building progress!

4 Likes

I’m actually very frustrated by this update- my screen space is already cramped when developing, and now I have to dedicate an entire tab to texturing parts. Not to mention that I have to scroll through an already massive tab to find a texture. It took me a long time to even figure out how to texture.

I’d suggest adding the material manager separately from the old material slider. This change has a significant negative impact on my workflow, and although I appreciate the support for custom materials now, builds and models will become extremely difficult to efficiently add depth to through materials for me.

I’d really appreciate it if you could consider creating an alternative to the material manager, similar to the old dropdown menu. Thanks

3 Likes

I’ll also throw some feedback in with a screenshot.

If you were a kid, who didn’t have access to the DevForum here, you wouldn’t be able to tell how to use this. There’s no tutorial that pops up explaining it, and at a glance, you can’t tell which button applies the material.

And that’s not even touching on creating material variants!

I wouldn’t mind being able to select which material I want, and just clicking on it to apply it to a part. Yes, the previews are nice, but it’d also be just as easy to apply the material and see for myself how it looks, then choose if I liked it or not.

4 Likes

Hi, so I finally made a post about the feature i was talking about ( its a little bit of-topic because it talks a lot about surface apperance, but its stil has a lot to do with materialvariants)
it would be nice to help me adress this to the roblox staff and maybe make these dreams real, I look forward to the possibility that this feature will bring to roblox studio

Thank you for your help in this matter :smiley:

1 Like

Hi. So I’m trying to create a material variant using the material manager but my task bar covers up the save button.

Is there any other way for me to save it?

4 Likes

Love the new update + materials. For me the materials work completely fine in studio

But once I publish to roblox, It reverts to the old textures?? Any reason why it does this??

Please can i have an explanation :wink:

2 Likes

I have a small screen resolution and am unable to see the bottom section of the material manager variant creator.

3 Likes

It doesn’t work because the feature isn’t live yet, it’s just a beta feature.

1 Like

oh right lol thats probably why then. Silly me

1 Like

A bit confused, is there no Neon/Glow material included in the new materials?

wow, this is pretty cool… but this isnt intuitive in the slightest and completely disrupts workflow.

Previously, you could just select a material from a dropdown menu, and the further parts you spawn in had that material. pretty simple, and easy to use.

Now you have to click the material manager, open a window, select the correct material, select the parts you want to change , and then hit “apply to selected”

Please give us back our convenient dropdown menu :frowning:

12 Likes

I have a question, I don’t know if this was asked here or not, and I cannot find it. So forgive me if this was already asked and answered.

Will you be able to make new terrain textures instead of replacing the existing ones, this really would be useful since it limits creativity and it would be hard to make huge maps with variety of textures if you could only replace. Ty

Ok sooo, this is pretty cool, but, i just want to change the gray into a shade of black, without overriding the texture in the entire server (this stuff makes great coal!). I also noticed that material manager replaced material selection. Otherwise, enjoying this update

1 Like

You currently can make new materials.

Also wish to have gravel as a terrain option.

Totally can’t wait to vibe with 500+ various concrete and brick materials.
In all seriousness though, I’m honestly pretty hyped about this update and feel like this was executed WAY better than it was initially. I still hope the classic materials can still co-exist with the new ones somehow.

1 Like
  • Is it possible to have the parity between terrain and parts be optional?

With how it currently works, if you override a material it overrides both the part material and terrain material. It would be nice to have the ability to choose what to override, either overriding the terrain material, part material, or both.

• Will perfectly matched parity of the legacy materials be eventually introduced?

With how it currently works you cannot set parts to have legacy terrain materials or set terrain to use legacy part materials. Its currently only limited to 2022 materials, if you wanted to use legacy pavement terrain material alongside the pavement part material it is not possible, legacy pavement terrain material doesn’t exist as a part material. It is also not possible to use for example legacy sand terrain material alongside legacy part sand material they are two different textures. It would be preferred if both legacy part materials and legacy terrain materials are preserved.

• Is it also possible to introduce both Legacy terrain/part and 2022 Materials into the Material Manager as a way to use both simultaneously?

Currently, when you toggle 2022 materials it just switches out with Legacy materials. The new 2022 materials are amazing but not all fit in with what you want to achieve. If you wanted to use the 2022 foil material in one place and the legacy foil material in another it isn’t possible.

Though this isn’t a required upgrade it’s disappointing that 2022 materials aren’t being introduced as additional variants of legacy materials but rather still replacements. You’re forced to choose between either having 2022 materials or Legacy materials. You have no freedom to use 2022 materials simultaneously side by side with legacy materials.

2 Likes

I can’t stress how much I agree with this,

The dropdown was very useful and it is so much more tedious to have to go into properties and select what material you want to make it, I’ve also noticed they have updated the color change tool and I cannot say I like it, the convenient dropdown menus for color change and material change were so much more user friendly and simple. :frowning_face:

4 Likes