Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

What I believe is that Roblox should re add the old material manager, but add a studio setting to change which material manager you want to use; a dropdown menu.

1 Like

Some of the new materials are amazing, but some are a bit over the top. I understand this new 2022 pack is perfect for some games but shouldn’t there be a way to merge them both? For example if you want the new 2022 materials but prefer for example the legacy concrete, why can’t you have the legacy concrete but the new 2022 materials on everything else?

Feels really restrictive, I would love for you to be able to switch between the two on individual materials over in Materials Service.

2 Likes

I mean you can just get the materials here Materials | Roblox Creator Documentation

1 Like

You can make a material variant and then use the legacy concrete and replace it with the old one.

1 Like

Bug: The sidebar doesn’t stay collapsed after Studio restart

1 Like

This seems like a bugged feature rather than intentional, because few months prior this worked just fine.
when a texture used to have pixels with alpha lower than 255, the color of the brick would be same color as the pixel, depending on its alpha (the more transparent the closer to the original pixel color the part was).

I was trying to recreate the 2013+ (and also tried the 2009-2012) materials in order to be able to use both new and old materials in one game, however this issue is keeping me behind. I assume more people have encountered this, and might want a change, cause this would help us more.

This is what a part looks like in white and 3 other colors with the material (I have Corroded Metal (2009, 2013) and Bricks here for example

For the bricks, the white line (which is completely invisible in the texture file) is very slightly colored, if at all. And for the Corroded Metal, in both the new and the old textures, the corrosion is completely or slightly visible, but on custom ones, its completely affected by color.
I worked on the 2009 rust a while back to see if I can recreate it, and I was surprised when I saw it worked. few months later, this has been changed and my textures changed completely.

This is what they used to look like.

It would be really nice if more Roblox engineers would see this, and maybe try to bring this back to us? or at least give us some sort of a “layer” on our custom materials so we can do this again, because as of right now, materials such as bricks, or corroded metal, cannot be changed very well, unless the color change is very slightly, or with the use of decals/textures to replicate the corrosion texture.

8 Likes

Those are the best materials of this update lol, they actually look good now.

1 Like

Late reply, but some plugins bring back the dropdown menu and you can also set the material through the properties window.

1 Like

Oh, that’s really cool. Could you possibly link one of them?

1 Like

I have no idea where to find them since I don’t use the drop-down menu myself. Some people do use them though.

1 Like

your comment saved me from posting asking why neon doesn’t glow. I didn’t know Bloom basically managed the glow effect for Neon. I indirectly made changes to bloom that rendered neon down to just a color with no glow. Turning off bloom after reading your comment, now I see the glow lol! Will have to make changes to accommodate for that

2 Likes

grass has dirt in it (not what I want) and flowers in it (also not what I want). Bricks have automatic mortar coloration. It might be good for you, but when I want grass, I want grass, not dirtflowergrass

1 Like

This is the worst update to ever happen to Roblox studio, it makes me rage every time I want to build something.

Even after months since the update was forced, I’m still not used to this trash design, and have to use properties instead. Please, give us an option to use old material manager!

Edit: I would like to clarify that the custom materials itself are good, but the removal of old materials tab still hurts, I am using properties to change the materials now, although it has way less visual functionality and it’s more difficult to navigate.

1 Like

You can just uncheck “Use2022Materials” in explorer

5 Likes

The issue is, sometimes that checkbox doesn’t even show up. I’ve encountered that many times.

1 Like

The post you’re replying to refers to the material manager being the replacement to the material selector, which allowed you to effectively change all materials in models.

1 Like

I’m having problems matching the colors of the materials Ground and Grass. The Grass material’s own ground texture doesn’t match up with the color of my custom Ground’s color:

This problem is also apparent in the pre-2022 materials, it’s just that all of the Grass’ texture is colored weirdly.

3 Likes

Try using the “Paint” tool and select the grass option, this usually happens for me when I use a tool like “Generate” or paint with either a cube or circle.

1 Like

I’ve tried, but then I would have to do this a lot if I generate terrain.

2 Likes

now we only need materials with alpha.
example:

MaterialAlpha = "rbxassetid://(whatever the id is)"
4 Likes