Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

You’re absolutely right but its just absurd that this is how you would go about that.

I have been wanting new materials for SO long, the old ones just felt weird, flat, and not what you would imagine those materials to look like. (im looking at you fabric)

2 Likes

Grass is probably the biggest winner, though I do wish that it would use actual organic tiling, with the old rotation.

i would really love if you add it, i really need it, everything i modeled was based on it, i thought roblox already had it in overlay mode, whats the point of overlay mode if the mesh just displays white without any material in the transparentspots of the surface apperance?

3 Likes

not so easy solved sir,
came across a lot of glitches when i tried that,
here is an example

the mesh and surface apperance

going to move it inside each other

the glitch

and, why dont they ust add it? it would help the performace, this just wil destroy my game if i kept using 2 of the same mesh

4 Likes

Are you sure you didn’t union it?

Unions are horrible for many reasons that I won’t go into because going into them would mean writing an extended essay.

Alternatively, did you misunderstand what I said? To explain it a bit more clearly:

1. Place a plain material variant on the oil barrel
  2. Make the rust/extra details a PNG with the rest of it transparent
  3. Overlay the surfaceappearance on top of the meshpart that uses the material variant in #1
1 Like

This Update is really cool. It would be useful for builders and designers.

question:why does this not work ingame?? it only works in studio so is it a beta still?

1 Like

This is honestly a really cool change but one thing that really annoys me is the new Material Manager menu. It’s way too big and takes way too many steps just to apply a material to a part rather than just clicking on the material from the dropdown and have it instantly applied like before. Now you have to go to the menu then select one of the categories then scroll to find the material then click on it and for some reason there’s a seperate button to apply the material now which is stupid. Example for the menu being to big

5 Likes

Oh plus the Create Variant menu is also too big for me to actually press the confirm button since my screen is quite small too and I can’t resize the menu

Had tons of fun with it tonight with some of my lowpoly assets for a game.

ROBLOXMaterialFun

Hello, this is really great!
Are all these parameters accessible in code?
Also, do you have plans to have an Emissive texture also (With intensity)? That would be amazing.
Thanks! Keep on the great work!

1 Like

is the organic pattern made with displacement maps on texture? can we also have the option to self-choose displacement texture, size and position if this is the case

anyway cool update!

I love this update/feature more than anything ever on Roblox for developers to use. However, my only concern is that now the “Material” button is replaced with “Material Manager”… this is a significant change in Roblox Studio’s life quality.

Allow me to explain how (for me at least):
On a daily basis, I use this button a lot, especially when wanting to material a “Model” so like as a group not selecting each object inside the model one by one, just as a whole, one click, select material, click and boom!
Now currently, the solution to this is selecting every single object inside that model and then using the properties tab to change the materials, colors… etc.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 8.01.26 AM

My Request:
Inside both “Home” and “Model” we have extra space for more buttons and user interfaces. Why shouldn’t we have both “Material Manager” and “Materials”… it does not sound like an easy job considering old codes, old systems and etc… but if possible this would be a huge life quality change to both this system and just in general in Roblox Studio.

Been looking forward to this update since it was first announced in late 2020. I have absolutely and have never had problems with the material service system nor the replacement of materials even when it was released as an alternative file earlier in 2021. My only concern is the “Material” option being removed from “Home” and “Model”.

Was a bit shocked when reviewing other developers’ feedback, and not seeing one mention of this option being removed…

7 Likes

thats what i want them to add, because its not possible :frowning:

4 Likes

that what i ment the whole time XD, but it doesnt work when i tried it

2 Likes

The old fabric could not be white, which was a major flaw.

3 Likes

Hey there, from a dev’s perspective this update is a godsend, but is there an estimated date as to when this update is rolled out to all users and to experiences?

3 Likes

Just after I complained how ROBLOX kept us in the dark about this, they release it.

1 Like

I’ve had some time to review this; I’m generally happy with the appearance of most of the new materials (and I’m extremely grateful that they are fully optional), however there do seem to have been a few regressions or steps backwards for a couple of materials, which should probably be addressed before broader availability.

As a foreword to the below, I am incredibly appreciative of the work that has been done on the materials to this point, and the vast majority of them do feel more or less release-ready (something that had previously been lacking). However, I do think that there is still more that can and should be done before a final release.

Feature regressions
Wood once again seems to suffer from forced discolouration, negatively affecting the appearance of parts and existing designs. I do expect to see some differences in colour, but this seems a bit excessive.

This is quite strange, since its appearance in the previous public beta (June 2021) was arguably the best it had ever been (same going for WoodPlanks). There also seems to be some pinkish colour on part of the material.

Current Wood on the left, new Wood on the right in both images.

WoodPlanks also seems to have been noticeably downgraded from its previous public incarnation. I like that there is now more variation in colour, but the planks feel too “smooth”, and the separator lines being white rather than black really throw me off the appearance (in low light conditions, this does look rather peculiar). Much like standard Wood, they also feel too dark compared to before. The current ones never looked particularly great, but the June 2021 incarnation did feel like it struck a better balance at the time.

Other feedback
Granite seems to have turned into Glass with a texture. The old version wasn’t particularly reflective of how it looks in the real world, but this feels like a step too far in the other direction, with no normal mapping or roughness intensity applied. Real-world granite is a fair bit rougher than this with some greater level of detail. Being honest, I would probably seek to urgently address this material specifically, since it seems to have come out rather weirdly.

This is probably nitpicking, but on some of the new materials such as Grass, Cobblestone and Slate, the tiling is very noticeable. Previously, Roblox addressed this by using a variation of Wang tiling (check 2015/16 Roblox shaders for reference, specifically in Cobblestone and Grass), so that the patterns would be randomised and not look too visible.

Is it possible to address this specific issue before release? I really like some of the new textures and would want to use them going forward, but the repetitive-looking nature of the patterning is throwing me off. The level of detail effects also don’t seem to function as well compared to the old versions.

Thanks

8 Likes