Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

I like the update, dont get me wrong, but some of the new materials have really small tiling. This can be fixed using ugc materials but still, worth noting.
The fabric material got rotated 90 degrees. I think it’s better to keep it at the same orientation as the original one for compatibility reasons
One more thing, materials dont get bigger on distance and look like a plain color when you’re far from them.

1 Like

As much as i love this new system i have a few problems with it:

The UI is too large. I’m used to having small side panels and a very large viewport but this menu can’t be scaled small enough because of how large the material previews are. I think it would be better to have an option to use smaller material previews (or turn them off and just have a list of the material names as well) because currently this makes my panels a lot, lot larger. I’m using 4k and can definitely have these previews smaller.

Clicking apply to selected doesnt work for models or folders. I’m used to building a model in plastic material first and then assigning the whole thing to a material e.g. some kind of building that has all walls grouped together being set to concrete. I have to select every child part to assign the material with, which is fine, but if a model contains hundreds and hundreds of parts, the selection boxes aren’t gonna do great with the performance.

The apply to selected button is too small and easily missable. When i first saw the new system i hadn’t seen this article and had no idea how to actually apply the material i had seelcted. I had to look it up to realise this tiny button in the corner was the solution. I think either make it larger and have text saying “apply material” or something, or a button under the selected material that says “APPLY”. For a new “user-friendly” system, this isn’t the best layout that could have been chosen.

Neon is missing. Why? Was it overlooked? Did it not fit a category? This could just be something that’s been skipped, but it’s annoying to have to go to properties > material > neon to set it rather than setting it through the material manager

Just noticed glass is missing also.

Why is there a Materials tab? For context, here’s an image:
Is there going to be something else added in the future? I’m not really sure why you would ever need to toggle this.

Not a big deal, but might be a good idea to enable smooth-shading on the preview balls for SmoothPlastic There isn’t a whole lot of difference between plastic and smoothplastic’s previews, but you can see the individual faces of the smooth plastic preview because it has flat shading. This isn’t really an issue but it just looks a little strange

However, don’t get me wrong. This is a HUGE upgrade over the traditional material dropdown list (previews on those were terrible) and the combination of terrain materials also is a huge huge plus. These are just a few things that have bothered me and may bother others. I am excited to see how the MaterialService grows and huge props to the development team!

8 Likes

I agree with everything here, except the color variation on wood since it feels weird

1 Like

I love the update, but it’s a pit of a pain to have to open the manager, click a material, then click the tiny button in the top left just to apply a material.

3 Likes

WRT this it would be nice if there was an apply button in the corner of the preview tile, or if you could just double click it.

2 Likes

I have one piece of feedback regarding the materials change; plastic looks a lot like sand now, and it doesn’t seem to match up with the plastic textures in the real world … I believe the older texture was more realisitc. Other than that, the other new material textures are mind-blowing!

Just checking: Use2022Materials will NOT be forced onto existing games, right? Most of my games are built to work with the old materials, and a sudden switch to the new one would ruin the entire aesthetic!

+, think of legacy games! Don’t ruin them aswell!

1 Like

You have an extra wide screen, so it’s obvious you have a lot of space. This is how it looks on my Windows PC, and I have a 1920x1080 screen.

Some people still have 4:3 screens, and Roblox is keen on keeping the experience bearable to them. As such, I do believe it’s a good idea that it stays like this. Maybe an arrow under Material Manager (like under Part) that lets us select materials?

1 Like

My opinions on the updated part materials.
Plastic - It’s a bit more noticeable now, but I think that instead of being larger, the normal map should be more intense. 5/10
Glass - It’s not changed much, but the subtle imperfections make it look better. 10/10
Foil - It actually looks like foil now. 10/10
Wood - I LOVE the new wood, but it needs to be brighter and to have the discoloration removed. 8/10
Grass - Wow, this is genuinely a humongous improvement. Old grass was ugly but versatile, 2021 grass was hideous, and this grass is really good, but not as versatile (which is fine, since we can make our own materials.) One issue, it suffers from tiling really bad. 7/10
Fabric - Looks much more realistic, I like it! 10/10
Brick - This material really won from this update, holy crap. 10/10
Cobblestone - It is way too small, and tiles very visibly. 2/10
Wood Planks - Really good looking. Too dark. 9/10
Slate - Looks good, but tiles noticeably. 6/10
Marble - Looks good. 10/10
Granite - A bit too smooth and glossy. 7/10.
Diamond Plating - Big improvement. 10/10
Metal - Big improvement. 10/10.
Ice - MASSIVE improvement. 10/10
Concrete - Looks better, but still too clean. The old imperfections looked really unrealistic, and now there really aren’t any. 5/10
Pebbles - Massive improvement. 10/10
Sand - Looks like sand now. 10/10

3 Likes

The new materials don’t show up for Xbox players.

The new materials are in a public beta state, meaning they’re only accessible in Studio. No games currently support these new materials.

1 Like

neon only changes some lighting stuff, it doesn’t actually have a texture, thus no option in material editor

Hi all, thanks for all the positive words and the feedback! As you might expect, we are looking at everything you’re sharing and determining the best course of action. Specifically:

• We’ll be tweaking the upgraded materials a bit more, but we (currently) expect it to be refinement, not reinvention.
  • We hear you that Material Manager takes up too much screen space, and we’ll address that.
  • We hear your concerns around the added friction to assign materials to parts with Material Manager replacing the drop-down materials menu, and we’re exploring how to best address this.

There are of course a number of other improvements we intend to make to Material Manager, but please keep the feedback coming! This is why we do betas :slight_smile:

Since some of you have asked, I will share that we explored if we could implement the base materials as variants rather than a switch, but for various technical reasons, this wasn’t viable.

Finally, since our post was not crystal clear enough: YOUR EXISTING PLACES WILL NOT BE OPTED IN TO THE NEW MATERIALS UNLESS YOU EXPLICITLY CHOOSE TO DO SO. Hopefully that puts an end to your concerns!

14 Likes

Regarding the base material variants, since a switch wasn’t viable, would it be possible to have access to the textures for the 2022 materials? It would be very useful if we could upload them ourselves at least, as I found some of the new 2022 materials awesome-looking!

5 Likes

you can use a plugin to rotate the texture

3 Likes

So, will we be able to use the original organic? The randomized rotation helped, though maybe it could be made an optional variant of organic? Also, will we het the option to add a secondary diffuse map that doesn’t change color? That would be extremely useful.

I feel a bit dissapointed in the woodplanks material, it looks like a wide brick rather than actual wood and makes everything in my place that has woodplanks look weirdly small.

1 Like

Will carpet and all the other materials be added that you guys have previously talked about? Or are those gone for good.?

5 Likes

You can change the part material to Neon via “Properties.” I don’t know if what you’re saying is really relavent, you seem to be talking about features that could be added for more usages of Neon parts.

That’s cool and useful texture