Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

Please fix the god-awful UI with the widget, it is extremely confusing and way too big. the old widget was nice and simple, showing a picture of the material, and then the name, now you have a massive list of styles, with sub materials. and I would be fine with that, but the icons are massive, making only 1 or 2 fit in the widget. It is also a pan how you have to have a base part selected in order to apply, you are forced to do a selectallchildren, which can lag low-end computers if the model has hundreds to thousands of parts. Those are my only problems with it, hope it can be improved.

2 Likes

>overreacting
my guy
I just want to use materials from both the old and new set simultaneously

is that so much to ask?
Iā€™m pretty sure you asked for the same thing on the previous materials update threads

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to be honest, I hated the old ui. It was way too compact, and confused me. I do agree with you that the current UI is also not great. The scaling is really bad, and the icons can be confusing.

1 Like

We are working to address feedback concerning Material Manager, especially when it comes to working on smaller screen sizes. Could you please elaborate on what part of the plugin is confusing?

looks very good so far, excited to see what comes in the future.

Only part that is really confusing is adding materials to parts, as others stated, the button for it is way too small. If you have a bigger monitor, it becomes a pain to use. The only changes I would want it

A. possibly an ability to control the scale of the materials in the widget to be smaller, fit more per page for longer lists

B. Ability to apply materials to models, currently you have to be selecting a base part, which forces to use a selectallchildren, which can get laggy with high part builds. People I know usually build with plastic first, then give materials after.

C. Make the button bigger in the UI, or give a better hint on what it does without hover, so you can see it at first glance, possibly a box at bottom with brighter color with apply??

I cant wait to see the future of Robloxā€™s materials, but this holds me back on wanting it myself.

Note: Is it possible to have a way to use both versions, I really like the texture of the concrete compared to the new one, but the new one could be used for other objects.

3 Likes

Thank you for elaborating, feedback like this really helps us make our tools the best they can be! We are discussing all these topics and Material Manager will address some of these concerns in future updates.

As for your third point (C), there should have been a teaching callout when you first use Material Manager that explains how to use the button. Iā€™ll note that as a bug so we can fix that before release!

1 Like

I think @ittrgrey was trying to say that you seemed a bit excited. There were a few things in the original post that could come off as rude, so I think there was a misinterpretation.

3 Likes

I like the materials brought in this update but what I really donā€™t like is how much more complicated it is to apply a material- usually itā€™d be a dropdown menu, and would take less than a second- now I have to have a separate tab open to add textures to parts. This is really harmful to my workflow and I hope that some form of dropdown menu can be implemented.

I love this so far and am really loving the material manager! It is super awesome to see this and I am already building all kinds of stuff with it!

So far I have no real complaints :smiley: a few things that bugged me seem to have be resolved over the past few updates! :+1: The material manager has already proven to be super useful and Iā€™m excited to use it in the future. The 2022 materials are nice too although I have not done that much testing with them. Overall I am just happy to see this in Roblox, and want to say thank you to all who made this a reality :heart:

2 Likes

after turning off 2022materials, my terrain colors are brighter

1 Like

Roblox donā€™t seem to include any ā€˜special materialsā€™ in the material manager, for example forcefield, glass, water, and neon all canā€™t be edited.

1 Like

Could you please make an option that bring back old Material Manager? The new one is so hard to understand and slow down building progress!

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually very frustrated by this update- my screen space is already cramped when developing, and now I have to dedicate an entire tab to texturing parts. Not to mention that I have to scroll through an already massive tab to find a texture. It took me a long time to even figure out how to texture.

Iā€™d suggest adding the material manager separately from the old material slider. This change has a significant negative impact on my workflow, and although I appreciate the support for custom materials now, builds and models will become extremely difficult to efficiently add depth to through materials for me.

Iā€™d really appreciate it if you could consider creating an alternative to the material manager, similar to the old dropdown menu. Thanks

3 Likes

Iā€™ll also throw some feedback in with a screenshot.

If you were a kid, who didnā€™t have access to the DevForum here, you wouldnā€™t be able to tell how to use this. Thereā€™s no tutorial that pops up explaining it, and at a glance, you canā€™t tell which button applies the material.

And thatā€™s not even touching on creating material variants!

I wouldnā€™t mind being able to select which material I want, and just clicking on it to apply it to a part. Yes, the previews are nice, but itā€™d also be just as easy to apply the material and see for myself how it looks, then choose if I liked it or not.

4 Likes

Hi, so I finally made a post about the feature i was talking about ( its a little bit of-topic because it talks a lot about surface apperance, but its stil has a lot to do with materialvariants)
it would be nice to help me adress this to the roblox staff and maybe make these dreams real, I look forward to the possibility that this feature will bring to roblox studio

Thank you for your help in this matter :smiley:

1 Like

Hi. So Iā€™m trying to create a material variant using the material manager but my task bar covers up the save button.

Is there any other way for me to save it?

4 Likes

Love the new update + materials. For me the materials work completely fine in studio

But once I publish to roblox, It reverts to the old textures?? Any reason why it does this??

Please can i have an explanation :wink:

2 Likes

I have a small screen resolution and am unable to see the bottom section of the material manager variant creator.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t work because the feature isnā€™t live yet, itā€™s just a beta feature.

1 Like