Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

Looking forward to implementing this into my games.

Good job, roblox.

2 Likes

A professional material manager??? Thought the day would never come.
Very impressed, and glad my patience on this paid off. Let’s hope that this creates a pathway for roblox games to become even more realistic.

One thing, drag and drop would be great, Just speeds things up even more!

2 Likes

10/10. Updates like this are really amazing to see because it’s clear you guys are listening. I can’t wait to use the new materials!

Any plans to let water be a part material? That would be insane. A lot of my complaints about water are because it’s limited to terrain, meaning we can’t move it precisely or change its properties in specific areas.

4 Likes

This is amazing!! this gives so much more atmosphere into your experience, well done!!! Excited to see the release of this :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Very pleased that this controversial update was reworked into something much more beneficial.

9 Likes

This is a great update, however the new way of applying materials are quite a pain to now deal with, I agree that we should have atleast a supportable dropdown box. It slows some developer’s workflow down (not all) but some.

6 Likes

Also @goalmwo, we are planning on adding drag and drop to Material Manager!

13 Likes

Will SurfaceAppearance be deprecated once this materials update goes live?

Thank you, this is a great update!

3 Likes

It’s about time! Thank you so much! I really needed this :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for listening to us. I requested that there will be a material manager and there it is!

1 Like

What screen size are you working with? Also, are you using Material Manager docked or undocked? I’ve noted your feedback about shortcut bindings. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

No. Broadly/conceptually, SA is a way to change the specific visual properties of a specific mesh with UV coordinates: it’s not reusable. Materials are reusable, general materials that are both physical and visual. Right now SA and materials seem very similar b/c we haven’t added more than visual properties to materials. This will change in the future.

8 Likes

cool, but can the material manager not replace the old material selector dropdown? the last thing i wanna see when i want to change a part’s material quickly is to see a fat window with a tiny cryptic apply button

could you ever guess that this button applies the material with its current icon?

18 Likes

This is awesome, the material manager is such a welcome change that will make creating a wide variety of games much easier.

In some areas though, I would like to continue using the old materials. However, I’ve been unable to find correct diffuse/normal/roughness maps for them so that I can reupload them as variants. Is there anywhere I can get these?

I have also noticed that setting the material pattern to organic repositions the textures from regular, but each part is still identical. Not sure if that is intended and I misunderstood the purpose of the organic material pattern, or if it’s a bug.

Regular
Organic

11 Likes

Just want to bring up my concerns with the concrete material, it doesn’t properly line-up with adjacent parts:
OLD:

NEW:

You can visibly see a seam between the parts with the new materials.

13 Likes

We can look into providing the old assets, but the internal shader is different enough you won’t get a 1:1 recreation if you just use the old assets as a new variant. (This is why we decided to use a switch instead of providing the old materials as a collection of variants.)

9 Likes

MaterialFlip? There’s gotta be a way around this somehow.

Worst case scenario, get the images out, do some math and put the blue channel back in, and reupload em with adjacency.

1 Like

Beyond drag and drop support to make applying materials easier, based on everyone’s feedback, we’re looking into ways to restore the dropdown while supporting Material Manager and the future built-in material library expansion.

10 Likes

These are the default new materials, I shouldn’t need to upload them.

2 Likes

Even if it’s not a 1:1 recreation it would be a welcome resource to have access to for some developers I’m sure. We will look into finding new textures in the meantime. Thanks!

2 Likes