Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

Will there be cleaner/more universal variants of some materials? They look weird in this picture. Everything is darker and the concrete is ice now.

6 Likes

Brilliant work. Can’t wait to see what people create with custom materials.

1 Like

I’ve flipped the 2022 material switch on and off, and noticed that the colors do get adjusted, but they stay in their 2022 material adjusted state after it’s disabled. Could there be a way to “un-adjust” it when disabling the 2022 materials?

Otherwise, this is pretty great. Only other thing I could wish for would be the ability to actually add more terrain materials and the ability to customize the silly triangle grass blades that have been angering us all for 3 years now.

Also, the Fabric material is a bit too small and tiles very visibly.

4 Likes

That’s really exciting and looks way better than the previous ones! Ty roblox! :heart:

2 Likes

You’ve really outdone yourselves. This was 100% worth the wait.

Edit: Wrote this before actually trying, I just looked at the pictures here. After trying it, it’s 11/10. It’s incredibly customizable, it adds the majority of features that the community asked for, and it does it all in a simplistic way.

2 Likes

This is great! Would be great for you guys to add a water material for blocks in the future too (I know this topic is mostly related to new textures than an actual new material with different behaviors), one that matches exactly the water terrain so we can animate the block, change colors independently of where the water would be and more! OR You guys could add a new feature of class WaterBlock that would be a block of water with certain properties.

Anyways, since I kinda went off topic with the water feature, I just wanted to ask if you guys could add a good looking leaves textures for trees for the entire community to use. Right now, when you enable the new materials the grass on trees looks very bad.

No way to replace it, unless you upload the current grass texture as your own and use it in the game I would assume, or if you make an entire new texture from scratch which is something not a lot of people is good at.

6 Likes

This is amazing! Loving the progress so far, especially with the new tile-avoiding feature. I’ve got a question though, Would the new materials be available in Roblox studio’s file path? so I could access the maps from there and add them to my 3D program.

3 Likes

Loving the new materials and I am glad you created a toggle to switch between new and old textures! The only problem I have is with the new Material Manager window. In my opinion the window is way too big and doesn’t show many materials at once. This makes it more difficult to find the material I am looking for, especially when the icons are being cut off.

Expanding the window isn’t really a solution because it takes away from my valuable screen space.

It would be nice if there were options in order to change the scale of all the material icons in order to see more of them on the screen at once. It would also be nice if this menu was detachable so I can group it together with my properties tab.

17 Likes

Great update! Been waiting for this for a long time and I feel that this update will make a lot of games/project look way better then before! Good job.

1 Like

I have no words for this besides Marvelous. It’s always nice seeing a new Roblox Update - But this one got my attention and made me feel more confident about how this new update will allow Developers to make more immersive, detailed and variated games.

Another great thing i really enjoyed about this update is that some materials that could only be previously used on Terrain are now available on BaseParts. Despiting the fact we can change the colors of each Part to match a certain scenario without having the colors of other materials changed together. (Such as previously, CrackedLava, LeafyGrass, etc)

Great job and Props for you on this update Roblox Team! Can’t wait to see what awaits for us on the next updates related to Materials, Terrain and Improvements related to Game Design. Cheers! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is perfect!

Thanks roblos :smiling_imp::woozy_face:

8 Likes

Amazing update!

I love this, so much better than the initial update that would force the new materials. So many more possibilities. Just waiting for it to come out of beta now.

Will we ever get the ability to get the default textures and use them in custom materials? You can get the old materials from the files, but you cant really use them in material variants since they are not PBR (Im guessing)

Also the Rock material isnt in the material manager.

Also also, maybe set the viewport BackgroundColor here to the color of the background? So you dont see the white outline?

5 Likes

When are you guys going to add terrain grass for parts, or even a built-in water like part? This will help with customizability and really bring the best out of roblox. Great update so far!

3 Likes

This update is very nice, but I found something that is REALLY bad for workflow related things.

If you try to set a groups materials all at once, it won’t work, you have to open up the model and select the parts individually to set them via Material Manager.

It’s really bad that they made it this way because not only does it make switching out materials for models very frustrating, but when you have a LOT of models it becomes a painstaking process.

I really hope an engineer finds this, it’s bad. The update itself is really good though and I like the direction it’s headed, Material Manager does have a lot of caveats though and they definitely need fixing, such as this one.

25 Likes

It’s great to have more control of our material service now, thanks for the update!

111 Likes

WOOO! finally the good version of that update! no, seriously!

2 Likes

This is so cool. Excited to use this

2 Likes

What I was thinking about is that they could make some sort of quick action dropdown menu that would show recently used materials, with the ability to search for materials as well. Something like the dropdown menu that we have in the explorer and the viewport.

11 Likes

infinite potential with what this does damn

2 Likes

Just so you know, you can resize the categories panel on the left-hand side of Material Manager. This should give you some more space to work with for now.

8 Likes