Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Have you tried unioning the parts? Unless this doesn’t work for normal parts/csg in which case I have no idea.

1 Like

Just a tip, all your color maps (albedo) should look as if they were pictures taken in overcast lighting, as it’s the most neutral lighting in engines and will produce the best results when applying effects.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but seems that the materials do no save when I close and re-open studio?

2 Likes

It’s been mentioned many times. It’ll be solved when this update comes out

1 Like

I think this could easily be solveable by just allowing us to create custom materials, as in giving them a name. Obviously they can’t be added to the Enums list, but idk being able to do something like

Part.Material = MaterialService.Material["Brick Wall"]

I believe could be a viable solution, allowing for hopefully infinite materials instead of being confined to the dozen or so that exist atm.

After playing with this, I remember that with the new materials beta there was the ability for Roblox to mask certain parts of the diffuse to prevent those colors from being overridden by the part’s color. I need to be able to provide my own mask in much the same way for my own materials (e.g. for brick textures, tilework, grass with special features, etc).

This in addition to emissive maps would be amazing.

Plugging this feature request again because paired with this diffuse mask we can accomplish some crazy reusable materials.

2 Likes

Same is happening for me. It kind of defeats the purpose of testing them.

The thing that makes this difficult is balancing the needs of sharing content in the library. Ideally you could share something with a custom material and always have it just work, but if that complicates stuff too much it may not be worth it and we have to balance the two.

3 Likes

I think the best compromise here would be a TilesCleanly boolean; I prefer the randomness of materials in most use cases, however there’s definitely a need for an option to create uniform tiling.

3 Likes

When I import custom material textures from another game of mines into a new game, some of the custom material textures don’t load, does anyone know why?

This feature would be so useful to retexture everything
When is this going out of beta? Can’t wait to see it on Roblox

Is roblox going to add the height or Displacement map? because with it it would be more realistic, normal maps only tells the renderer which direction the slope is facing and how steep that slope is, while if we can add height or Displacement maps, we have also control about the parts that ‘stick out’ of our texture.
Example:
with

without

7 Likes

It’s been suggested multiple times, and the answer is usually no since it requires too high polycounts. But, they’ve also said no to normal maps in the past and look at where we are now. Anything is possible at this point.

5 Likes

No? Roblox’s own materials as far back as the original versions in 2009 have used normal maps.

4 Likes

You just need to invert the green channel.

1 Like

Perhaps if they introduce a resolution option to determine the poly count you want?

1 Like

I use Displacement maps instead of Metalness maps, and they actually work out fine, since most assets I use do not contain Metalness maps.

1 Like

Meant to say custom normal maps.

1 Like

Actually will not be good for metalness for example a bark it is non metal yet it would look like metal bark.

This is an awesome update, but I think we should have bigger tiling sizes for the materials.

I decided to use this for my game based on custom water and ships but it turned out that even at the maximum size the texture is too small and looks

extremely ugly.

With the new material:

Without it:

With the same thing but in a SurfaceAppearance instead:

There is currently no way to make good custom water in roblox without it looking shit. Lag isn’t much of a thing if we use proper LOD. The mesh uses mesh deformation btw.

But, the visual limitations prevent me from making it into an actual game. Things that we need:

• Proper refraction and reflection support (by reflection I mean every object and not just the skybox)
  • The ability to control texture size more flexibly

TL;DR:

• SurfaceAppearance: too big
  • MaterialService: too small
  • Nothing else: doesn’t even look like water

If terrain water can look this good, why don’t we have the tools to make our water also look nice?

8 Likes