Uploading 4K images

I know the difference.
But if you want watch animals from close the go for Unreal Engine or just go to the zoo. There are many many ways to make game look nice with no high res textures.
Really what is more purposes for using them? How many games need them? Someone want’s just to make another grass? Or bricks? These are built in studio.
As I told before many objects you see from far they don’t need even 1024x1024 What is the reason to putting 4096x4096 to only just watch animal eye?

Roblox has gave us PBR textures and even drawable images, it’s about time for this now!

Well this is a really weird argument. Why be so against something that’d benefit the platform just because what we have now is good enough? Why settle for less?

5 Likes

This is needed, in my experience particle flipbooks need this desperately because any 8x8 flipbook being displayed at a large scale comes with pixelation.

1024x1024 resolution threshold increase to 4096x4096 would bring a lot to the table, enabling experiences with really great immersion & depth, the possibilities are endless.

3 Likes

The only issue is that the majority of new developers still dont know how to optimize their game and a higher resolution threshold would only make it worse. That being said, I would be fine with Roblox increasing the resolution of particles and flipbooks (if its even possible to separate then from the normal images uploaded to Roblox)

2 Likes

A potential solution is allow the developer to upload it in 4K, but by default it gets downsampled by the compositor to 1024x1024, and the developer has to manually enable 4K support on the instances they want to use it on

10 Likes

bumps
I am replying because I’m mad
Roblox get a hold of yourself and take your eyes off of the iPad kids for a sec

3 Likes

We did it! We even get 8K, not just 4K.

Big thanks to all the staff members that took this request seriously.

15 Likes

Congrats! Its coming soon. Plus, not only is it 4K but also 8K too!

3 Likes

we finally did it fellas. Roblox listened for once

3 Likes

All those people who said Roblox won’t add it because of performance issues are gonna be quiet now. :fire:

7 Likes

wait wait wait wait. This dosent apply to experiences, but its a step in the right direction/ This only applies to creator store. I think the update is just the backend for the higher quality images

1 Like

its not even for ugc its just for creator store, which is basically toolbox

actually looking back, this is just like a preview for 8k images. Basically framework for higher quality images

It seems like you didn’t actually read the post

1 Like

I’m questioning what the “Creator Store” is now… Why would you be able to make assets with high-res textures and not be able to see them in-experience? In the end the player sees no difference.

:face_holding_back_tears::sob::heart_hands:

Beautiful.

I’m excited! :eyes::eyes:

Just adding it to the catalog instead of games is a pretty big letdown lmao, once again in the name of “performance for mobile”! I love this platform…

1 Like

Our VRAM’s going to be filled to the brim if they actually allow 4K images, which is fine with me. ROBLOX needs to get with the times.

so happy they added this. personally i never thought they would add this, thank god